• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Patrol Death at Squaw

C

CMCM

An experienced ski patroller died in an avalanche on Monday. Second ski death by avalanche at Squaw this year, unfortunately. We've had huge storms and feet and feet of snow, and the patroller was ski cutting (which personally, I think sounds dangerous anyway) and the snow on a very steep area gave way and partially buried him. His partner dug him out but it was too late. He was 41 and had been doing ski patrol for 11 years and had dealt with the avalanche control on this particular run area for years and years, so he knew the dangers. Then a young kid of about 20 died Christmas, again after huge storms, and on one expert, steep run he was caught in an avalanche and died. Squaw is very very quiet about these events, of course. Very sad.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:eek: That is so tragic! I haven't been into the backcountry all that much during my skiing career, and I'm not so advanced as to be doing avy control, but earlier this season I went out and quite providentially found myself an avalung pack on Craig's List. Just shows that you can never be too careful. My heart goes out to that patroller's family, friends, and the rest of his patrol.

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CMCM,
I had not heard this -- I just returned from Squaw last night. Just did an internet search -- guess was Tuesday, but no mention of where on the mountain.

Randy Davis who died Christmas Day, the 20 year old you mentioned, was a ski buddy of our son -- all part of the Freestyle Team. A third friend was the one who was with Randy and initiated the rescue search, so I know personally that it was neither lack of judgement on their part or avi prep by the patrol. Randy was very skilled, and in an area which had been bombed -- the place we ALL go on a heavy storm day. But the snow can load up so quickly in the Sierra.

Yes, Squaw Valley -- maybe all resorts -- are very quiet about these tragedies. All accidents actually. Sometimes I think more should be shared. When I hear the grumbling in the KT22 line about getting the mountain open, maybe more knowledge of the risk, the tragedy would shift awareness a bit. Since Randy's death, I've been very conscious about where I am, especially in a storm and while alone.

The Squaw / Truckee / Tahoe community has had several tragic tragic losses this season. My heart and thoughts to all.

Jen

Mafia_Princess

Certified Ski Diva
I find any tragedy even if it's something not too terrible is kept as quiet as they can. Often unless you are an employee at the hill you don't get much in the way of details.

This is really sad. It's been a bad season for ski related injuries and fatalities.

wave_spice

Certified Ski Diva
How very sad and tragic.

I understand why mountains wouldn't post/make official statements about deaths at their resorts and I think that is a very big mistake as well. Unfortunately, we can't change what happened but they could use that information for awareness-especially for expert skiers.

For example, I personally am not an expert skier but I do ski with many of them. They frequently go out of bounds and laugh when they are caught or when their tickets are revoked. I NEVER join them and although none of the "boys" (translate to 30+ year old men) have said it to my face, they think I am a nag and being overly protective. I do believe that if more of these terrible tragedies are in the open, more skiers would ski responsibly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga