• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Lift Conversations?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I spend an absurd amount of time trying to bust my bubble and there’s some WHACKY stuff out there. I told my two closest friends about it last June, and they didn’t believe me. But then their parents started talking about some of it and they were grateful that they at least had heard about it. It’s scary and sad how vulnerable we as humans can be to disinformation.

@MissySki ... at least you got the story? And the good news is, that guys lifestyle choices indicate that he has probably had COVID so was unlikely to be a carrier!

Glass half full!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally had my conversation with a wackadoo on the chairlift today.. I was getting onto a 6 person lift alone when this guy bolts out with me without asking. I didn’t think it was a big deal though given it’s a large chair. Started out normal enough and even realized that this person lives in a town pretty close to mine in MA. That’s when he just dove right off the deep end of reality. Well, I had a slight sign when he tells me that he’s gone to Florida and Utah recently because he’s not letting all of “this” affect his life when he loves to travel. Then he somehow switched gears into all sorts of things that he says are happening and nobody knows about because the news doesn’t cover it. He states as fact that actually Biden isn’t president, it’s all for show. We are currently under a partial martial law to keep the peace and Trump is president in the background. Also, because there was rampant corruption in this past election, there will be a new one coming up and also currency is going to switch to something he named but I can’t for the life of me remember.

To say I was shocked into a silent stupor would be an understatement. I’m sorry, what?!?!? I literally wanted to look around and see if I was on a hidden video show or something. I have never been so glad to get to the top of the mountain and off of a chair.

Mind.Blown. :scared:

OMG!! I am so sorry that you got stuck with this nut job! Geez! The worst I got was a “Masks control you” guy! I hope you got back to your place and decompressed somehow!

MissySki

Angel Diva
WOW. That's genuine crazy. I also would have been so glad to get away and likely somewhat fearful during the ride.

I was really glad it was a 6 pack lift versus a quad since it split us up more, but I did actually feel some anxiety once I realized that he wasn’t joking and I was trapped with him. That obviously can’t be a stable person.. I dilly dallied for a couple of minutes near the peak lodge until he skied away too and then went in another direction. Didn’t want to chance a reunion at that lift. :crazy:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The man is a pretty civil guy, but he knows EVERYTHING, (just ask him) and probably smokes too much weed .
He used to be such a good mogul skier that the USA ski team coach requested he demo technique.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Hello Divas! I had the chance to ski Colorado a couple of weeks ago. One of the things that I noticed is that people actually talk to you on the lifts! I was really surprised since out here in the west, people just mind their own business. It felt weird at first, ("why is this stranger talking to me?") but then it just kept happening! Then I realized that it was just how Colorado people are, it's a part of their ski culture.

So do people in your area usually talk (to strangers) on the lifts? I swear I've never had someone start a conversation with me. I only started one with a ski patrol though, it was only me and her on the lift!
Here is Aspen, it is totally a normal thing. We are extremely friendly bunch.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
On any given weekend, I might be skiing in France, Andorra, Spain, Austria, Germany or Italy - and in any of those places, people from all over have headed south (or north) to the mountains. Even here in France, it is not a given the person sitting next to you speaks French, let along English (except in Val d'Isere :-) ). I think that is one particular primary reason people don't strike up conversations.

Plus, in the Pyrenees, even when you do speak French or Spanish or Catalan - the accents are so wacked out that you may not understand anyway :-)

But generally, nothing against talking.
Hi there. We have been thinking about A Dorrance might be a good place to live and ski. How is the skiing there? Thanks

newboots

Angel Diva
That sounds like the jerk I was stuck with when I called my electric company to ask some questions about the bill (went from $36.50 to $282 the following month). Very polite but shared his crazy with me repeatedly. I complained! Too bad you can't complain at the lift!

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The few times I rode with people this year were generally pleasant. I'll only do it if it's one other person and they're wearing their mask correctly.

But speaking of wackos, I overheard a disturbing conversation in the lift line yesterday. This guy was telling his buddies about how he went to jail two years ago for drunkenly waving a gun around in walmart. Glad I didn't have to ride up with them.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
THAT is the guy that would scare me.
To do it is one thing. It’s not a great reflection of his judgment, but ok, you made a mistake, maybe? But then yapping about it without a sense of deep remorse (I.e., not in public, audibly?) YIKES.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
THAT is the guy that would scare me.
To do it is one thing. It’s not a great reflection of his judgment, but ok, you made a mistake, maybe? But then yapping about it without a sense of deep remorse (I.e., not in public, audibly?) YIKES.

Yeah. I also got the vibe that his buddies were wondering why they were with this person. The crazy guy even said the sentence "You guys haven't been to jail?" as if going to jail is a totally normal thing that happens to most people...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I was really glad it was a 6 pack lift versus a quad since it split us up more, but I did actually feel some anxiety once I realized that he wasn’t joking and I was trapped with him. That obviously can’t be a stable person.. I dilly dallied for a couple of minutes near the peak lodge until he skied away too and then went in another direction. Didn’t want to chance a reunion at that lift. :crazy:
Wowza - that is a doozy. About all I have to day other than sorry I wasn't there!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna