• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski boot fit

pakalolo

Diva in Training
Hi everyone!

I recently bought new ski boots (Tecnica Zero G Tour) and I have skied in them 8 times. The first time I used them I was touring and had extreme pinching pain and my toes were hitting the end in walk mode - so the boot fitter punched them out a bit. Skiing in resort, I haven't been able to find a good buckle setting where my feet feel grounded in the boot and connected to my skis.

If the buckles are all tight there is too much pressure on my foot. If I loosen the buckles, my feet move around in the boot. I know the sole length is right. But I am wondering if this is a volume issue? Not the right boot for me? I'm a good skiier, but maybe I'm not standing in my boots right? Should I try Intuition Liners?

I don't feel I can articulate the problem, just that my feet don't seem to be sitting in the boots right - and I don't know if I am being crazy or if anyone else has had this problem?

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not an expert or a bootfitter, but there's a variety of things that could be considered/ruled out before you get rid of the boots.

Where are you feeling the pressure on your foot when they are too tight? Across the top? In your arch? Do you have custom footbeds? Have you had any heat molding done?

I bought new boots this season myself (already had custom footbeds which were transferred from my old boots) and was struggling with not enough room in the toes (specifically, pinching of the pinkie toes), and the steps we went through were:

1. Ski in them longer to see if sweat/warmth creates the minimum amount of space needed. (Did you give them more than one day?)
2. Heat molding of the linings. <--- This solved the problem for me.

The next step, per my fitter, would have been heat molding the shell rather than punching anything out, and only then would we have gotten to punching it out. It did take two fittings to get it right for me.

It's also possible that they weren't the right shape for you to begin with. It'll be hard for us to say! But I feel you -- uncomfortable ski boots can really ruin your day!

newboots

Angel Diva
Back to the bootfitter!

I'm no expert either, but it seems to me there are likely many things that can be done. Be sure you are talking to a bootfitter that is listening carefully, outlining options, and giving you fair warning of any costs involved. I think you articulate the problem quite well - I understood you!

newboots

Angel Diva
And good for you - you've come to the right place to ask questions!

:welcome:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....If the buckles are all tight there is too much pressure on my foot. If I loosen the buckles, my feet move around in the boot. I know the sole length is right. But I am wondering if this is a volume issue? Not the right boot for me?....Skiing in resort, I haven't been able to find a good buckle setting where my feet feel grounded in the boot and connected to my skis.....

The bolded above indicates your boot shells are too big for your feet.

Boot fit involves at a minimum three dimensions, length (which you may have right), width, and volume (ceiling height over your forefoot and around your ankle area). Width is complicated because it involves ball-of-foot as well as heel. Some boots are wide at the ball-of-foot area while being narrow at the heel, and some are the opposite. The boot that fits matches your foot's anatomy width-wise.

Volume is complicated because it involves air space above and around the heel as well as in front of the lower leg as it exits upward from the foot. There are high volume, medium volume, and low volume boots out there. Some shops stock all these options, others carry limited stock. Some boots are labelled LV, meaning low volume. Others are low volume without saying so on the box. Bootfitters should know their stock relative to volume. You may need a LV boot.

It sounds to me like your volume and width are both off. I speak from experience as a skier with quite low volume and extremely narrow feet. Your description indicates there's too much air in there. You buckle down tight to fill the space, but that deforms the boot, pressing its middle downward onto sensitive nerves running along the top of your foot. Nerves don't like that. But buckling tight won't narrow the bottom of the boot to make it snug against the forefoot; some parts of the shell may even bulge outward when you tighten the buckles. Look closely to see if this bulging is happening.

Your forefoot may be sliding left-right inside the boot. If you side-slip down something steepish, this ball-of-foot width issue can be quite evident. Check it out.

I've bought too-wide, too-high-volume boots because bootfitters didn't tell me about the existence of these factors and didn't check that my foot was snug enough volume- and width-wise in the shell. They were only interested in making a sale, and I was innocent as to what a good fit involved since I was a relatively new skier. They figured it wouldn't matter for me. I think this situation is all too common. Boots are expensive; this shouldn't happen but it does.

If the shell size is wrong for your feet, your bootfitter is at fault. But you won't know whether a refund or a replacement new boot is an option unless you ask. I suspect the bootfitter will want to avoid this option since the toe box has already been punched out.

An aftermarket liner, Intuition or Zipfit, may help, but both of those are expensive. And they don't address ball-of-foot width problems. The won't fill this area. Before you buy an aftermarket liner, be sure you know what dimensions you are trying to fill and whether the liner fills it. A properly fit shell would be better.

Glued-on shims that the bootfitter can attach (for free) to the outside of your liner are an option and probably what your bootfitter will want to offer, but they won't work very well if the issue is as intense as your description makes it sound (feet not feeling connected to the skis). And it's such a shame to go that option when the boot is new and should have been sized properly in the first place by the bootfitter.

It may be time to go back to the shop, with boots in hand, talk to the manager, and insist on satisfaction. Where did you buy the boots?

Last edited:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know the sole length is right.

Not necessarily. From @liquidfeet 's analysis, it sounds as though you didn't get very good service from the fitter who sold you those boots, so you may want to be wary about the sole length as well.

Toes banging on the front of boots can be caused by a poor (or absent) footbed. The arch support that a good, preferably custom-made, footbed provides is supposed to keep your feet from collapsing and lengthening, and thus causing the toe-bang. If you're in boot with way too much volume for your feet, one thing to at least consider is whether going down a size would help. (E.g., I have very long, narrow feet and I've always worn boots that are one mondo size smaller than I actually measure on the tool they use at shops to determine your size. I've never even had to have the toes punched.)

And your fitter should, at the very least, be putting your foot in the shell (with the liner removed) and measuring how much room there is between your heel and the shell with your toes just touching the front of the shells. That's usually the first step in sizing a boot (after knowing which ones to pull of the shelves in the first place).

There are many Divas here who can also speak to the differences between regular alpine ski boots and touring boots as well.

Good luck!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wow, thanks so much for all the responses! It's so incredible to have this online community. I skied with an added insole to fill the volume a bit, and that really helped. So I will go back to the boot fitter and see what they can do. Thanks everyone!

If your bootfitter has a fit guarantee and picked this boot for you, make sure they make it right. Unless you insisted on going bigger than they recommended, they would be liable for the issue. When I was starting out I had been put in a boot that they couldn’t make work after many tweaks and it was causing me excruciating pain still. Eventually they ended up letting me start over in a new boot and I was credited the full cost of the initial boot they picked that didn’t work to go towards the new pair.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga