• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Blades: What the What?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at Jack Frost in the Poconos this weekend and noticed an unusually large number of people on ski blades. On the lift line, I looked closer and noticed that the blades were evidently rented by the ski area, since they had the usual "JFBB" rental markings on them.

My question is: why would a ski area rent ski blades, and to whom? What would the decision-making process look for the customer? What information would the rental staff be giving them?

I'm just mystified and generally curious. The customers seemed perfectly happy and were doing fine (not falling, etc.).

(Fwiw, I work with a lovely woman who organizes our ski club, and she skis on blades. She used to be a snowboarder, but when her son started boarding it was too logistically difficult to help him around on a board, so she switched to blades. She said she just never took to skis, and felt more comfortable on the blades. She doesn't ski much outside of the club, but she gets along just fine on the blades on green and blue runs).

Just curious. And avoiding grading papers. :becky:

Jilly

Staff member
So first - SnowBlade is a registered trademark of Salomon. They came in 2 lengths. 88cm and 99cm. The binding was not releasable and this got Salomon into all kinds of problems. Some people changed out the binding for a standard releasable binding. Then came the knock offs.....K2, Head, Fisher, Tecno all made them. I can't say as I've seen any new for sale. Used yes.

These are like trick skis really. Also in order to ski them, you have to have on edge....all...the...time. If not they will waiver all over the place. Tried them once, that was enough.

Now there are Ski Boards out there too. This are shorter than average skis and usually wider. One company calls theirs SASB...Small ass snowboards....

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A friend of mine Loves her blades, she fell at home (down the stairs) wrecked her knee and after re-hab got on the blades, she skis beautifully and without poles and says her knee doesn't hurt like on her longer skis..

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
were they good skiers? My kids were all on the development and race team at Jack Frost and there were times where a coach would get blades for the team (usually U-14/U-16) to work on a particular skill. Maybe they were going to try to "one ski" or sometimes to do a balance drill.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So first - SnowBlade is a registered trademark of Salomon. They came in 2 lengths. 88cm and 99cm. The binding was not releasable and this got Salomon into all kinds of problems. Some people changed out the binding for a standard releasable binding. Then came the knock offs.....K2, Head, Fisher, Tecno all made them. I can't say as I've seen any new for sale. Used yes.

These are like trick skis really. Also in order to ski them, you have to have on edge....all...the...time. If not they will waiver all over the place. Tried them once, that was enough.

Now there are Ski Boards out there too. This are shorter than average skis and usually wider. One company calls theirs SASB...Small ass snowboards....

Skis.com sells new ones, and they call them snowblades even though they are not Salomon. I was super surprised, I thought they'd been discontinued.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They would have to be knock-offs. Do you have a link?

I feel like I've lost my bloody mind. This morning while I was goofing off I looked up skis in the 99cm range for adults and up popped a weird brand with the actual word snowblade associated. Now, not 10 hours later I go back, do the same search and they're gone.

I wasn't drinking any funny juice, and I definitly wasn't smelling any funny smoke. Can going to work cause hallucinations?

newboots

Angel Diva
Can going to work cause hallucinations?

Absolutely!

When I'm at work, I hallucinate people acting bizarrely, yelling at me because their child is an addict, and demanding something unreasonable. ("Find out who he stole from and get him arrested." Um, I can't do that.)

Well, this was just today. But there's always something! :doh:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw a guy carrying some form of mini ski (Snowblade TM or not) ahead of me on the way to the lift. A few hours later, I just happened to be on the lift with him. He said he finds them "eh" for groomers, but he likes them in the trees. He was skiing some pretty serious trees with them, too.

Interesting.

They had real, releasable bindings.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I saw a guy carrying some form of mini ski (Snowblade TM or not) ahead of me on the way to the lift. A few hours later, I just happened to be on the lift with him. He said he finds them "eh" for groomers, but he likes them in the trees. He was skiing some pretty serious trees with them, too.

Interesting.

They had real, releasable bindings.
Atomic used to make them....they looked like regular short skis (I think they were 120) with demo bindings. They were GREAT for learning to carve. I sold mine to an instructor. I also had a pair of 100cm long ones with non-releasable bindings that were lighter-weight and super fun....shaped more like a twin tip. They were much wider than the Atomics...indeed, like a mini-snowboard.

There used to be an online company called skiboards.com who sold all kinds of snowblades. It was unreal how many different varieties there were.

Using them really helped with my balance and carving.

It's possible a big group came into JFBB to rent skis, with no prior experience and no lesson package. It's fairly easy to get up and go on blades. Just a guess. It's been a while since I've seen them out...although I do remember they were part of the rental fleet.

Whiteface instructors used to use snowblades to teach new skiers how to carve. It was part of their lesson progression years ago.

Jilly

Staff member
I had a pair of Head Super Carvers. They were 140cm. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of them. But they weren't snowblades. Snowblades have turned up tips and tails. So really really short twin tips.

Last edited:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been a while since I've seen them out...although I do remember they were part of the rental fleet.

Huh, well now I'm curious. I may rent them some afternoon just for kicks. Maybe they can help me learn to actually ski backward instead of what I do now, which is to execute the lamest, slowest, briefest backward wedge in the history of snowsport.

callmijane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They're popular with the Texas crowd. I know Wolf Creek rents them, as do several shops in the Pagosa area. Supply and demand....

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apparently Mammoth has them also for rent, "Saucer Boy" usually appears w/ friends during the switch/costume day on the last day of DD team.
Snowboarders ski/ skiers snowboard, some of the snowboard coaches usually have the blades.....

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The ones the guy at Breck had were twin tips, it seemed ... pretty adorable, actually.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.a2xtreme.com/2000/0084.htm

I have the M7 and just adore them in soft spring snow. They are the quickest way to get someone really centered and carving. Plus, you can come barrelling into the lift area doing spins and laughing madly while the lifties accuse you of having too much fun. :tongue:

I've tried the K2 Fatty, which I didn't like as much as the Canons, but I liked them MUCH better than the Salomon Snowblades. We also have a pair of super fat, really short Alpinas hanging out, too, but I haven't been out on those yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga