• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Area Environmental Scorecard

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi fellow Divas!

I'm finally checking back in after a long summer off. I happened across this web site that grades ski areas on their environmental policies and footprints. I found it quite interesting and very disappointing to see many of my favorite areas receive very poor results. Scores are out of a possible 100.
First the good...:clap:
Resort State Grade Score

Aspen Mountain Ski Resort Colorado A 92.8
Buttermilk Ski Resort Colorado A 92.8
Alpine Meadows California A 80.2
Aspen Highlands Colorado A 75.9
Sierra-at-Tahoe California A 74.3
Sundance Resort Utah A 78.8
Mount Bachelor Oregon A 75.7
Wolf Creek Ski Area Colorado A 72.2
Bogus Basin Mountain Resort Idaho A 71.6
Alta Ski Area Utah A 71.4

And the not so good...:doh:
Ski Resort State Grade Score

Breckenridge Ski Resort Colorado F 35.0
Copper Mountain Ski Resort Colorado F 35.1
Kirkwood Mountain Resort California F 35.6
White Pass Ski Area Washington F 37.4
Crested Butte Mountain Resort Colorado F 37.4
Winter Park Resort Colorado F 38.3
Silver Mountain Ski Resort Idaho F 39.2
Bridger Bowl Ski Area Montana D 40.5
Big Sky Resort Montana D 44.8
Crystal Mountain Resort Washington D 45.0
A-Basin Ski Area Colorado D 45.0

For a full report and detailed information on how each is scored, visit: https://www.skiareacitizens.com/. You can even send letters to the ski resorts either asking them to improve or give them kudos for their efforts.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great resource! I only wish there was something like it for the east, too. Good environmental policies are a must for an industry that relies so heavily on Mother Nature. Maybe this will encourage the resorts with low scores to make some improvements.

BTW, good to see you back, dburdenbates!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dburdenbates,
This is good info; thanks for sharing it with us. I'm disappointed w/Kirkwood (the only resort on the not so great list that I ski). I really like it there and am surprised..........but appreciate finding out..

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was surprised to see we scored so well. I also don't think it's quite fair to penalize us because there is no reduction for parking if you carpool. It's all still free here except for one lot. To make points you'd have to start charging for parking, which always burns me if I go to a ski area. I mean the lift ticket should cover your parking.

We have a Snow Bus that is free to get to the slopes. I've never used it because it doesn't run often enough and also one time I saw where they had gone off the road and I've been leery ever since. They also seem to break down a lot. But they are popular with some of the locals and the visitors. I think they gave us two points for that.

GREAT Resource! Thank you!

Vail got a C!
TOO MUCH NEW CONSTRUCTION!!!!

Positives not mentioned.....100% wind energy powered lifts!

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read an article earlier this year where the Aspen Ski company filed a lawsuit , I'm thinking against the EPA & other high polluting industrys. The gist was something to the effect that their actions or lack of appropriate action, contribute to global warming & a causation to the reduction of snow. Hence a loss in revenues for all industries requiring snow. I didnt know about the report card ratings at the time. They're pretty committed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna