• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sinus infection quick fixes?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I think I have a Sinus Infection. At least that's what it feels like. A bit of a sore/swollen throat, accompanied by intense sinus pressure.

Not a problem usually, I'd just let it run it's course. But I'm going to CO on Saturday! And I reeeeally don't wanna be sick (I won't even go into the fact that I'm going to miss a few days of training this week and then all of next week argh!).

Anyone have any handy tips to get rid of a bug like this as quickly as possible? I have a feeling it'll be gone by Monday (my first day of skiing) but I want to do everything I can to aid it on it's way out!

Right now I'm drinking some chamomile tea. Took some Vitamin C this morning (I know, a bit late but maybe it'll help a bit) and plan on gargling with some warm salt water tonight if the throat is still buggy.

Any help here?

K.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm a veteran of sinus infections. Add some warm compresses over the sinus cavity to your gargling. Also if you want to add drugs - Advil cold and sinus is my best weapon. After that its the antibiotics!! I haven't had one this year yet, "touching wood" but I'm due! It's this d#@n weather, not cold enough!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh KimmyT, don't say that! This is why I live in Co. I've had 1 sinus infection in the 2 years I've lived here. They were a common occurance in Cincy.

Anyway, this happened to me right before a trip at Christmas. I was so sick and trying to treat it myself. I finally gave up and called my Dr. He put me on an antibiotic. By the time I got to my destination I felt so much better and skied comfortably the whole week.

So my advice is call your Dr. the skiing is too wonderful here to feel miserable.

Kathi

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Airborne has been a godsend to us during the past year. It seems to truly cut short those respiratory-type illnesses.

I don't think it will cure a sinus infection, but it could help ward off any other bugs that might invade your weakened immune system. I always seem to get bronchitis whenever I get a cold; Airborne has really helped stop complications.

Are you flying? I'd definitely try to get the sinus pressure fixed before you get into an airplane. OUCH.

Lynn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sudafed!!! Mucinex!
Sudafed helps dry you out and mucinex helps keep the drainage watery rather than snotty.
I get problems with vertigo and general 'loopiness' starting day 3 or 4 at altitude because of fluid accumulation in the inner ear secondary to chronic allergies. I have finally tried to deal with this over the last year and a half by doing allergy shots and taking regular anitihistamines and sudafed at the first sign of any head colds.
It's good to buy sudafed before going anywhere , since the crystal meth community has made getting sudafed difficult. You must show your drivers license in NY and sign for it. It is no longer available at airports.
With long term sinus issues, antibiotics and short term steroids can help calm the inflammation in the sinus cavities. To be determined by your care provider, of course.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga