• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Side Slipping, a skill for all ability levels

NYC2VT

Certified Ski Diva
it's funny for me to read over these threads, then look up videos on youtube and realize i know most of these moves but don't really know the names for most of them. i guess that's what happens when you learn to ski so young (then take a long time off!) that you forget the names of skills, but still have the muscle memory to do them on the slopes.

NYSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My friend talked me into skiing Topridge (a diamond) at Gore yesterday. When I got there every pitch had been scraped pretty clean of snow and there was some glare even in the flat afternoon light. I was scared but decided to side slip down the first pitch... then did falling leaf and side slipped down the rest of the icy ones. It’s a great way to get yourself out of a scary situation without tumbling down the mountain!

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
How difficult is this skill? Can a beginner learn it easily or not?
It's an exercise in realizing and releasing the edges on your skis. Check out "falling leaf" tutorials on YouTube as well. Practice when the hill is quiet, not on a crazy weekend afternoon. Side slipping and edge release exercises were one of those "light bulb" moments for me that tied skiing all together.

Latest posts