• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Shift Bindings Recommendations: Resort --> BC Newbie

alyraw

Diva in Training
Hello! I am so excited to connect with this community! Reading these threads has been hugely insightful as I explore options for expanding my Quiver and new gear aligned with my ski goals.

I am looking for some recommendations for a solid Shift Binding to mount on a lightweight all-mountain ski that I intend to use primarily on resort with the flexibility of utilizing as a newbie to uphill + alpine touring.

I would describe myself as an intermediate-to advanced and advancing skier on resort. I tend to ski fairly aggressively: bumps + zipping down groomers of all steepness is where you will typically find me. Trees and bowl skiing are areas I'd like to explore/improve in, but my current daily skis don't take me through them comfortably; the all-mountain skis I am planning to purchase will serve me better in these areas, and as a bonus can also serve as a good touring ski.

I would like to find a Shift Binding that will hold up to this style of skiing on resort as I imagine I will be using my all-mountains 75% on resort/25% off resort and gradually balance this to 50/50 as I develop my BC skills. When the time is right I will switch/invest in a dedicated touring ski, but for now my interest is in a shift binding that will feel solid and secure on resort/the downhill as I am in need of expanding my quiver as it is on resort, while giving me the freedom to start getting into uphill (on resort) and introductory back country touring.

Looking forward to thoughts + recommendations! Thank you so much!

I am based in Summit County, CO.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So the Shift is 1 specific binding. Armada, Salomon, and Armada are all in the same parent company, and offer the same binding with different colors & branding. They each offer 2 versions, 1 that has a DIN range between 4-10 and the other with a 6-13 range. If your DIN falls in the middle, the Shift 10 is a smidgen lighter.

Frame bindings or the Marker Duke PT both compete for that "mostly resort, but start exploring the backcountry" market. But frame bindings are a lot heavier and very clunky. The PT's about 20% heavier and has modular toepieces that come on & off as you transition between uphill & downhill mode. The Shift's definitely the most popular option of the 3.

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Late to the party...

As Analisa said, the Shift is just one specific binding, sold by Atomic, Armada and Salomon which are all children of the same parent company. It doesn't matter which brand you buy, the only difference will be the brand stamp and potentially the colour.

I have Shifts (Atomic version, not that it matters) on a pair of all-mountain skis. In the downhill, they feel like any other downhill binding and work the same way.

In the uphill, they are good for what they are. From my experience:

Advantages:
- They feel less tiring than frame-type bindings (e.g., Marker Tour) because you aren't lifting the entire heel with each step
- It's quite difficult to set them up incorrectly during a transition. My old Marker Tours were terrible for being too easy to transition incompletely without noticing, leading to heels popping free during descent or risers not engaging during a skin.
- I've not had any problems with icing.
- The toe pivots at the pins. This feels more natural to me than most frame bindings, which pivot in front of the toe.

Disadvantages:
- There are a lot of steps to transition compared to other bindings I have used. You need to switch the mode on the toe and the heel separately, and then remember to set the toe lever correctly once you have stepped in. However, as above, it's difficult to get this wrong.
- Weight
- Cost (although this is beginning to drop)

If you are set on a hybrid binding, your alternatives are:

- Frame bindings (e.g., Marker Tour). These are probably your cheapest option and are perfectly serviceable (I used them for ~8 years), but they have some quirks. I've mentioned some of my experiences with them above

- Marker Kingpin or similar. These have downhill heel pieces that slide back on a rail to move them out of the way for skinning. This is novel - all the other options have fixed-position heels. This is combined with a tech (pin-binding style) toe. They used to be cheaper than Shifts, but in the UK at least it seems that this is no longer the case. I think these are the lightest of the true hybrid options because of the lighter toe piece. I have no experience of these, but I have a couple of friends who like them.

- Marker Duke PT. These are similar to the Shifts. They are designed for the hardcore, and heavier than the other options, but you can reduce the weight for skinning by removing part of the toe piece. I have no experience of these. I know at least one person who has lost a removable toe piece!

I use my Shifts for days where I'm expecting short skins and want heavier skis to deal with tricky snow. I find them heavy for long journey days, but part of that is that they are also mounted on heavier skis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna