• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Shell Recs

rach93

Certified Ski Diva
Hi y'all,

I am looking for some recommendations for outer shells. Ideally with longer sleeve lengths, powder skirt, lots of pockets, and material that can deal with soggy new england conditions.

Best,

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Needing longer sleeve lengths is my major fit issue! I am only 5'9" but I have the arm length of someone inches taller, lol.

A few I own:
Stio Environ XT Anorak - the full zip Environ shell had shorter sleeves and was exchanged for the anorak
FlyLow Lucy - fully featured, but it is a lighter weight shell. I will use touring and in the spring.
Scott - I have a down jacket and a rain shell and sleeve length is perfect

A few I have tried, but do not own:
Norrona - if you are tall with narrow hips/shoulders this may be spot on for you.
Arcteryx Sentinel - the newest version I recently tried on had a nice sleeve length.
Elevenate - on a recent trip I tried on several jackets and they are now on my future purchase radar.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have considered the Stio Credential and loved the fit, it was longer in both back length and the sleeves than the Environ. However, there is no pass pocket, which is a deal breaker for me.

rach93

Certified Ski Diva
Needing longer sleeve lengths is my major fit issue! I am only 5'9" but I have the arm length of someone inches taller, lol.

A few I own:
Stio Environ XT Anorak - the full zip Environ shell had shorter sleeves and was exchanged for the anorak
FlyLow Lucy - fully featured, but it is a lighter weight shell. I will use touring and in the spring.
Scott - I have a down jacket and a rain shell and sleeve length is perfect

A few I have tried, but do not own:
Norrona - if you are tall with narrow hips/shoulders this may be spot on for you.
Arcteryx Sentinel - the newest version I recently tried on had a nice sleeve length.
Elevenate - on a recent trip I tried on several jackets and they are now on my future purchase radar.
Yeah notice, sadly, a lot brands as you size up the sleeve length does not change. I am super wary of that at this point.

I am currently looking at the TNF Ceptor as an option. Have you ever tried that?

Norrona - I will have to check them out thanks!

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel you! I’m 5’11” and the woman who buys for our ski shop is 6’+ and slender. As a result, we stock both Elevenate & Norrona (shout out to the Swedes).

I always want Patagonia outerwear to work for me bc I love their commitment to sustainability but only their “athletic” fit seems lanky enough (and then doesn’t fit my apparently unathletic hips, haha).

I own an (old) Arteryx Alpha SV coat and a new Norrona Tamok. 50% off at my store now fyi if you come to the Sugarbush area. The good stuff is rarely cheap.

re: The North Face - I haven’t tried their technical shells but find their fleeces to be fairly boxy and don’t come all the way down my wrists. Love that they make more inclusive size runs in nice gear though!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had a Rab shell for the past couple of years and it fits nicely for a long torso and long arms. No powder skirt as it's a hiking jacket, but several large pockets. It's holding up well too.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Hi I am also in New England and wear the Patagonia Powder Bowl shell and it fits nicely with longer sleeves and powder skirt. It's got 2L Gore-Tex, 3 pockets - 2 inside, 1 outside and holds up to any conditions I have been out in.

rach93

Certified Ski Diva
I feel you! I’m 5’11” and the woman who buys for our ski shop is 6’+ and slender. As a result, we stock both Elevenate & Norrona (shout out to the Swedes).

I always want Patagonia outerwear to work for me bc I love their commitment to sustainability but only their “athletic” fit seems lanky enough (and then doesn’t fit my apparently unathletic hips, haha).

I own an (old) Arteryx Alpha SV coat and a new Norrona Tamok. 50% off at my store now fyi if you come to the Sugarbush area. The good stuff is rarely cheap.

re: The North Face - I haven’t tried their technical shells but find their fleeces to be fairly boxy and don’t come all the way down my wrists. Love that they make more inclusive size runs in nice gear though!
Yeah i love the Norrona stuff I have looked at so far. That is great rec for my body type. Just applied for their Pro program so fingers crossed.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have considered the Stio Credential and loved the fit, it was longer in both back length and the sleeves than the Environ. However, there is no pass pocket, which is a deal breaker for me.
Both models of the Environ have a pass pocket as does the Figment. Per the salesperson I spoke to, the Figment fits more like the Environ Anorak XT, but I wanted a solid color rather than color blocked so I did not try it.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yeah notice, sadly, a lot brands as you size up the sleeve length does not change. I am super wary of that at this point.

I am currently looking at the TNF Ceptor as an option. Have you ever tried that?

Norrona - I will have to check them out thanks!
We have an older TNF down jacket that fits us well (us = me and my daughter, she is 5'11"). I don't believe I have tried the Ceptor though.

I cannot seem to get Norrona to fit me. When I size up to get hip/shoulder room, the sleeves/body length are actually too long -it feels like it was made for someone 6'+.

Elevenate - tried on my usual size in multiple items and they were all divine. Big wish list items!

Hi I am also in New England and wear the Patagonia Powder Bowl shell and it fits nicely with longer sleeves and powder skirt. It's got 2L Gore-Tex, 3 pockets - 2 inside, 1 outside and holds up to any conditions I have been out in.
Yes, we have an older Powder Bowl shell too and it fits both my daughter and I and has a related fit with room for layering. I didn't list it as it is discontinued. Unsure which one replaced it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna