• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sheeva 9 vs Black Pearl 88

loopylou3

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, I am from the UK and ski in the French Alps and Switzerland, we usually ski 2-3 times a year. I am 43 have two teenage daughters, we started skiing as a family 8 years ago but my husband and I both ski'd when we were younger (my first boyfriend was a ski instructor!)

I am 5 ft 5 (165cm) approx and 140-143llbs.

We ski blue and red runs, either new year when its usually v cold and pistes are groomed and sometimes icy, and April when the snow can be powder or getting slushy towards the afternoon.

I can get down nearly anything but do not always feel like i know what i am doing (very much learning as I go), I can carve but still working on technique and sometimes can be guilty of sitting back on the ski when things get steep/icy but trying not to! I like to ski medium speed, love stability and something that is predictable not something that needs a skilled athlete to get it going.

I have my own boots Dalbello avanti W95, great fit (as of 3 years ago)

Never owned a pair of skis, never known what on earth to ask for when renting, usually get something thats ok between 159-164, not really paid much attention until I got the 2020 Sheeva 9 hire ski (164cm) and something inside me went 'YES I LOVE THIS SKI' told my husband "This is the best ski I have ever had'

Convinced I had found THE ski, I started researching and found the Black pearl 82 & 88, everything I read says they might be better for someone like me that skis on piste on the resort, mostly down blues and reds, I like to glide my way down, not speed down doing aggressive turns. The only time we go off the piste is through the snow at the side of the piste (youngest daughter loves whizzing through the trees) both kids and husband are faster and better than me! Although I can keep up I do not feel as confident.

I loved the sheeva 9's for that whole week I rented them.

My questions are:

Has the sheeva 9 changed much from 2020 model to 2023 model

Is the 2023 blizzard 88 or 82 a totally different feel?

Ahhhhhhh help

One thing I know is that I have been given a variety of shorter skis 155 wish range and I felt they were too short, I was given an appauling salomon loki which felt so light and plastic I thought I must be skiing on a toy ski and been given some beast heavy skis that I felt to turn they were like scaffolding planks (heavy and didn't move!) The last ski I rented was a salomon k2 No4 and this was fine but didn't make me want to go out and buy it.

Should I just go for the sheeva9 even though i mostly ski on piste because i loved them or am i missing out on the BPs!

Any advice would be appreciated on these skis.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I am exactly your stats, 5'5" and I say my weight is 140, but it's crept up to 143, ha ha!
I ski on 20/21 BP88s at 159; I'm 63 years old. I deliberately chose shortish for my size because I like maneuverability in bumps/trees. They are very stable on icy blue/black (is that what are called red in Europe?). I like to get beyond groomers, but in the NE groomers are mostly what we got. There are great in crud and few to several inches of powder when I've taken them out West. I'm 63 and unaggressive advanced skier and I have improved on them. I've been wanting to get on Sheeva 9s based on reports here and skiing with others on them. I'm told they ski short, so I will definitely step up to low/mid 160s if I demo them. The NE skiers who have them say they have other skis they use when it is very icy, but that Sheeva9 are definitely fun, fun, fun in most other conditions. I think the BP82 is a lighter weight, less advanced ski than the BP88, so I would not consider that at all given that you liked Sheeva 9.
So . . . if you really value stability on hardpack (I do) BP88 in 159, or next size up, might be the way to go. On the other hand you loved the Sheeva 9 in the conditions you do ski, so I'm guessing you can't go wrong there. I can't say if the ski has changed 2020 to 2023. Generally, I like the Sheeva 9 topsheets better than BP88. I'm not a purple person, but decided to overlook that when I bought the BP88s.
Best advice would be to rent/demo both BP88 and Sheeva 9 in similar conditions perhaps 2 lengths each. . . I think you'd learn a lot from that experiment. And you can tell us what you learn!!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
The Sheeva 9 has not changed from year to year, outside of the look of the topsheet.

Yes, the Black Pearl series will feel very diffetent. They are frontside oriented skis where the Sheeva is more freeride intended.

There is no wrong answer if you love the feel of something though! It doesn’t matter what reviews say online or what is best for what. You have been on the skis. If you want to look into the Black Pearls I’d be sure to demo so you can see the difference for yourself.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm you're height as well, around 120lbs and ski the Sheevas and I too LOVE them !! I was a BP 88 gal for several seasons but when they changed them a couple of seasons ago I fell out with them as they became a lot stiffer in my mind hence I switched to the Sheeva's. They have a totally different feel with the Sheevas being a lot more forgiving even though they do have metal in them and more freeride orientated and the BP's more of a frontside performer.
For reference my BP's were 159cm and my Sheevas are 164 as they ski shorter.
Based in NZ so we don't get the lovely soft snow all that often but the Sheeva's still perform really well and when we do get those great snow days its game on.
I would try and demo the BP's if you're able as they are a polarising ski ..... you either love em or hate em !!
Me, well I havent looked back since I got on the Sheeva's :ski:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Sheeva 9 has not changed from year to year, outside of the look of the topsheet.

Yes, the Black Pearl series will feel very diffetent. They are frontside oriented skis where the Sheeva is more freeride intended.

There is no wrong answer if you love the feel of something though! It doesn’t matter what reviews say online or what is best for what. You have been on the skis. If you want to look into the Black Pearls I’d be sure to demo so you can see the difference for yourself.
I agree with this--especially since you skied the Sheevas an entire week and loved them. Just buy them. Do I always advocate wider for people trying to learn? No, but 92 is not wider than 88 by much and you can still work on technique, etc without too much stress on the joints on a 92. You can always pick up a pair of front side dedicated skis cheaper at the end of the season.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Never owned a pair of skis, never known what on earth to ask for when renting, usually get something thats ok between 159-164, not really paid much attention until I got the 2020 Sheeva 9 hire ski (164cm) and something inside me went 'YES I LOVE THIS SKI' told my husband "This is the best ski I have ever had'
I loved the sheeva 9's for that whole week I rented them.
Hard stop. You skied them for a week and loved them? That is about as much information as I need! They sound perfect for you.

Full disclosure, I am a Sheeva 9 lover/owner. I do have other skis to choose from if it is super icy, but really I ski the Sheeva 9 most of the time in New England where we frequently have a great deal of ice. I hug the edge of the trail and search out the softer snow and bumps because that is what I love - I am much more a finesse skier than a speed skier as well.

If you have the opportunity, demo the Black Pearl 88. Like @MissySki said, it is an entirely different experience. It is a fine ski, it just doesn't make me say YES, or Yes, or even yes.....I said NO. Each and every time I have demoed it. That said, it is a well loved ski. Since you were so happy on the Sheeva 9, I would be surprised if you jumped ship to it, but you certainly could.

loopylou3

Certified Ski Diva
THANK YOU so much everyone for your time replying, it makes such a difference to have the opinions of real life skiers rather than just watching experts saying how amazing every ski is and what it is for, hard to identify with when I cannot fly down the piste like they do. (Also realised that I have thousands of videos and photos of my husband and children skiing and none of me!)

Thanks Debbiesue, I will discount the bp82 because I don't think I like really light skis. I have emailed the rental shop we use in France to see if they have the BP88 in stock that I could try (They are the shop I hired the Sheeva 9s from and also the shop I bought my ski boots) But i would have to wait until Feb or April until we go out there. I will try look to see if there is anywhere I can demo the BP in the UK in an indoor slope but I doubt it.

Missyski - The Sheeva 9 has not changed - vital information thank you.

AJM - So useful about the height, I did love the 164's but I was half wondering if the 157 might be better for me, I know some heavier skis the 164 size just feels too much, most 156 range ive felt are too short, so you've helped me decide 164 def right one. AND you are lighter than me and still love the ski.

Contesstant - Thank you, I was certain about buying them when I returned from the holiday I hired them, no doubts, then I read what they were meant to be for and started doubting myself, given I dont know much about the equipment installed my decision to buy! - Then once you start looking you go down a rabbit hole of too many choices, and im not good with choices!

Lisamamot -really interesting your experience and I LOVE that you love the Sheeva too.

I will wait and hear back from the rental shop, if they have both and are happy for me to try both then I think I will wait then buy from them, if not I think I will just go with the Sheeva!

Now bindings (Oh god) - never even thought about those! haha

Most of you girls are in America/Canada, have you seen the state of the French Alps at the moment? No snow!!!! We had a week before Christmas and got the December snow but its now rained so much away many resorts closed - I said to my husband, if that carries on, by the time our youngest leaves school and we can holiday whenever we like we might have to head to America or canada to ski!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I didn’t mention in my post above, but I also have and love the Sheeva 9. I’m 5’4” around 125lbs and ski the 164. It is my mostly daily driver in New England. I use other skis if it is extremely icy, but the Sheeva 9 is fine on hardpack and ice in general, just not the best tool when it’s super excessive. I like my Stockli Stormriders for that because they hold a great edge on even the worst ice.

I have Tyrolia Attack bindings on them.

loopylou3

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks MissySki, online these come with the skis: Ski binding Tyrolia Attack 11 Gw Br.95

or I can pay £40 more for these: Ski binding Look Nx 12 Gw B90

One thing that bugs me is when you have a set of skis and when you are carrying them they dont clip together securely, I dont know if thats just old bindings on rental skis or whether some bindings are not good like that.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I have the Tyrolia Attack 13 GW on my Sheeva 9.

The Attack is largely my binding of choice. I am not sensitive to binding differences, but most of my skis have the Attack 12 or 13 GW. I love the 12 because I don’t need the DIN on the 13, but the 12 is sometimes harder to find. I have the Tyrolia AM12 on my Stocklis and have skied the Look SPX 12 and Marker Squire without issue.

I believe the Attack 11 GW has a different ramp angle and a slightly less sturdy construction. You may not notice, but just a heads up as some people are very sensitive to ramp angle.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi, I am from the UK and ski in the French Alps and Switzerland, we usually ski 2-3 times a year. I am 43 have two teenage daughters, we started skiing as a family 8 years ago but my husband and I both ski'd when we were younger (my first boyfriend was a ski instructor!)

I am 5 ft 5 (165cm) approx and 140-143llbs.
Welcome! So nice to have a discussion about women's skis involving women from multiple continents. You've had very good advice already.

I will try look to see if there is anywhere I can demo the BP in the UK in an indoor slope but I doubt it.
Based on my experience demo'ing skis on short slopes (near Washington DC) and a time or two at the only indoor slope in the USA, you wouldn't be able to tell too much about the BP88 in comparison to the Sheeva in the French Alps. Slope would be too short and the snow would be too different.

One thing that bugs me is when you have a set of skis and when you are carrying them they dont clip together securely, I dont know if thats just old bindings on rental skis or whether some bindings are not good like that.
On rental skis, you are on "demo bindings." It's much easier to set up demo bindings for different size ski boots, meaning different Boot Sole Length (BSL). Those bindings are heavily and tend not to clip together as well. The bindings that come with the Sheeva won't be demo bindings so the skis should stay together better.

loopylou3

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Lisamamot, I am happy to buy separate bindings but literally know nothing about them. Not heard of the ramp angle will look into it thank you. I would so much rather go to a shop that knows their stuff and do all this but no shops in the UK that are local and stock sheeva s andIm not sure i would just uk shops as there is no skiing here!!! News back from our usual hire shop in france, they dont stock blizzard anymore, so i wont be trying the bp88's.

loopylou3

Certified Ski Diva
Marznc, thank you for the info on the clips, that makes sense. Demo on indoor slush wasn't really going to help, no. Im going to stick with the sheevas

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you like a ski, get it. I demo'd the Sheeva 9 (157) on a solid snow day and am 5'2"/120lb so would think 164cm sounds good for you for stability. It will hold an edge just fine as long as you have them tuned.

I think the Look NX 12 have slightly less delta than the Tyrolia Attack 11, but your worries about the skis not clipping together are likely due to demo binding issues. My Attack 11s are hard to get apart sometimes!

Reactions: AJM

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My skis are hard to get apart too..... Sheeva 9 have Attack 12 and Sheeva 10 Look 12.

Reactions: AJM

loopylou3

Certified Ski Diva
Looking on the Blizzard website:

These are the recommended bindings:
  • Suggested Binding: MARKER SQUIRE 11 ID - 110
Any thoughts?

loopylou3

Certified Ski Diva
Just phoned our local ski shop in the uk to see if they stocked the sheeva 9, he said no, but he would recommend the Santa ana (they got them in because they thought their customers might like them because the top sheet is so pretty) and this ladies, is why I am here!!!

He asked nothing about where I ski or my ability, just told me I should consider the santa ana because its pretty!!!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just phoned our local ski shop in the uk to see if they stocked the sheeva 9, he said no, but he would recommend the Santa ana (they got them in because they thought their customers might like them because the top sheet is so pretty) and this ladies, is why I am here!!!

He asked nothing about where I ski or my ability, just told me I should consider the santa ana because its pretty!!!
I'd run away from that ski shop but DO Try the Santa ana..
Pretty doesn't mean you'll be wow'd by how any ski skis!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna