• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Seeking some Advice (New Skis/Boots)

daniwrites

Certified Ski Diva
Hello--thanks for looking!

I'm looking to buy a new set of skis, bindings, and boots.

I've been skiing for 10+ years but would consider
myself an intermediate. Female (duh), 5'9'' 185lbs

I ski the East Coast; VT, NY, PA so trails are mostly groomed and ice is
a constant.

I enjoy skiing more aggressively on green runs and less
so on blue and black. I use longer turns and wedge when
I am not that confident.

I'd like to push myself further and ski with more
short quick turns as I become more comfortable and ski
more regularly.

Right now I am using an old pair of Rossignols 173 -
V2 C's From 99' or so and I am looking to upgrade.

I have been looking at the following skis:

K2 Apache Hawk (They may be "too" beginner though)
K2 Apache Crossfire (May be too advanced)

Rossignol Zenith Z9
Rossignol Bandit B83
Rossignol Bandit B78
Rossignol Bandit B2
Rossignol Bandit B3

I am open to any suggestions though on brand, type and length.
I generally look at men's skis because of my height/size but if
women's would be better suited for me - I will also consider them.

As for boots...I am slightly "duck footed" with a low
instep, flat feet, and average width...may be a little
wider by the toes. I notice the boots I have currently
start to really hurt my ankles, toes, and shin by the end of
the day after several hours of skiing (I even have bruises!) so I know it is crucial
to get a pair of boots that are right for me. I plan on going
to get fitted but I'd like some suggestions prior as well.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks again :ski2:

Jilly

Staff member
I'm the Rossi fan on the board. I would look at the Z5 instead of the Z9. It's a little softer than the 9. I know you think you have the strength, but technique would be hampered with the stiffness of the ski. (I'm on the Z5 and so is our school director and he's bigger and stronger than me) This ski has be raved about as the one ski quiver.
Bandits - B2,B3 would be last years as they changed to numbers that reflect the waist width this year. Not sure which one is which at the moment. Bandits are all mountain and alot of people don't like them on the cruisers. I found because the waist is wide it took too long to change edges.
Demo'ing is the best thing you can do!

Boot fitter is the only person you can help you with boot issues. Give us an idea of where you live and we can point you to a good place/person to see.

daniwrites

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Jilly,

Thanks so much for your reply.
Does the Z5 grip well on the hard pack/ice?

I live in Queens, NYC.

The weekend of Feb 1-3 I'll be at Camelback, and
the following weekend I'll be at Stratton. I'd ideally
like to see a bootfitter near Stratton but I don't know
if I'd have enough time especially because I am going with
a large group (many of whom never skied before). If there is a
reputable bootfitter in NYC or Long Island -- that would
be great.

Thanks again

Jilly

Staff member
I ski Tremblant, so ya, the Z5's like the crap we get in the east. Remember tuning really help with ice! I'm sure someone will come up with a shop or name for you for boot fitting.

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd agree with the Z5 as a better choice if you're sticking with Rossi. The Roxy Joyrider is the women's version of the Z5 with different graphics. I'd also look at what K2, Nordica, and Volkl have in your price range. I wouldn't let your weight influence whether to go with a ladies ski or not - it may only influence what performance range you look at for a ski. A heavier person can go with a slightly stiffer ski since they'll be able to flex it more than a lighter skier. The womens' skis are quite a bit beefier that early models, and you may find that a slightly forward position of the bindings will help with turn initiation and eliminating your wedge.

If your boots are too big, it may explain the bruising on your feet and shins - and lack of confidence on the steeper terrain. Boot fit = response time. If your foot slides in your boot, it takes much longer for the ski to "get the memo" that you're trying to turn. You also should keep in mind that you're better off with a great fitting boot and a so-so ski, vs. a poor fitting boot and a great ski.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am the other Rossi fan on the board and agree that the Z9 would be too much for you. I ski the Attraxion 5 but note that I'm on Colorado snow so very different although I've been quite impressed with it's performance on ice when we get it. My first day out in them was a bit icy and I was delighted to be carving on ice.

I agree on the bootfitter, it's tough to do anything here, except for look at other boot discussions and try to get ideas on what to try. Given your current symptoms I'd bet money that the boot you're in is too big. Shin bang is a classic symptom of the cuff not being tight enough. Ankle soreness probably means the the angles are off or you're swimming around (that's what caused my current ankle pain and the reason I went out and got custom boots) and the toe pain is probably from jamming into the toe box as you get too much momentum inside your boot. I ended up with a black and blue toe nail leading to an ingrown toe nail requiring surgery from this issue so I know of what I speak. :faint:

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Properly fitting boots should help your progress tremendously!!! It also helps when they don't hurt. Read the boot fitting sticky at the top of this section and ask lots of questions when trying on boots. DO NOT understate your ability or agressiveness. Definitely discuss all your known issues with the "bootfitter".

I agree with the others, you may find the women's skis preferable. They do ski a bit differently. After you get your new boots, demo some skis. Personally, I think finding the right length is even harder than finding the right ski. Try some of the more upper intermediate/advanced skis you may be surprised at the difference it makes in your skiing.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also agree that you need boots first---and get a bootfitter to help. When you have the new boots, try demoing a few skis to see what you like.

K2 One Luv
K2 Burnin Luv

Elan Mag Spice

Fisher Vision 70

All of the above will outperform the skis that you are currently using.

But, also, I think that you should take a few lessons and begin to use a better technique. I personally think that women should not be taught to wedge since it hampers them most of the rest of their lives. I spend the first day with students teaching the wedge (as an emergency stop ONLY) and then it seems like every woman I teach still has that tendency to cling to the inside edge of the uphill ski!!

A shaped ski will make it easier to turn and a few lessons will give you the confidance to make turns without using a wedge. Good luck with skiing---you must love it if you are willing to commit to new equipment.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I'm going to chirp in here with my recomendation. The "Nordica Firefox". The sidecut of that ski really lends itself to instant turn gratification. ( Kind of like good chocolate everything just seems better after you've had it!) I've skied it in almost all conditions. I can't get over how easy it is to initiate a turn on it. It's almost like auto pilot. Even my girlfriends that ski alot less aggressively and less often than I do, love it. This ski just amazes me with the range of skier's that it works for! It's really a fun ski! Try to find a place that you can Demo it. Based off of your height, weight ,and ability description, I would lean towards a 162 cm. I think that you will find the increase in sidecut will help you initiate your turns with a lot less effort. You might also consider taking some lessons to tweak and refine your technique. And I am going to reiterate what the other Divas have already said, and I can't stress this point enough!! GET YOUR BOOTS FIT BY A GOOD BOOT FITTER!!! MAKE THE TIME IT'S WELL WORTH IT! You can spend all the money you want on skis but if your boots don't fit well you might as well have stayed on rentals! Your boots are encasing the part of your anatomy that initiates your turn! It's like the streering on your vehicle if it's not tight (snug in a boot) and responsive your driving will be slow and tenitive (as will your skiing! ). Make sure your boots are fit correctly! Sorry about the rant. :( Must be the menopause, I get so emotional! lol!

daniwrites

Certified Ski Diva
You all have been wonderful!

Thank you so much for all the advice.

I decided I'll demo as many skis as possible
to help in my decision on what to purchase.
Does anyone know what the selection is like at Shawnee (PA?)
or if there even IS a selection (ha)?
A few friends that never skied decided to go there
next weekend so I am curious if I will be able to try out some
skis there.

As far as boots go--I do want to get fitted and much rather spend more time, effort, and money on a good boot and hold off on the skis.

If anyone knows somewhere I can go by me
(Queens, Manhattan, Long Island NY) please let me know as I want
to do this ASAP.

As far as lessons go--I definitely could use some.
I recently got back into skiing after not being able to go as much
and I forgot how much I love it. So this winter I've been a little addicted ;)

Thanks again-this board is really great.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga