• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Seeking Denver local info: Steakhouse (& shower) on the way to the airport?

abc

Banned
Tomorrow (Monday), I'll be skiing A-Basin, then flying back to New York on a redeye.

So, there's a good 8 hours between the lift closes and my plane takes off. I basically have about 5-6 hours to kill in Denver. That's more than enough TIME to feed and clean myself, right? If I can find the places to do so, that is.

I've done "this MO" more than once before. However, those are the two items I didn't manage to find too well, particularly the shower part. Last time, I figure I could find a hotel that has a pool, and sneak in to take a shower. But I roamed the airport area hotels, only to find ALL of them requires a room key to get into the pool! :( I'm thinking... perhaps a health club instead?

My rental car this time has GPS so I could potentially just ask "it" to look for steakhouse once I'm in the city area. Though if anyone knows a decent one not too far away from the freeway, I'd appreciate it.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't know anyplace you could sneak into but would a truck stop work? Sometimes they have showers, I assume they are open to the public. There is one at I-70 and Ward road in the Lakewood Wheatridge area. The location is a little over an hour into your drive.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No steakhouse to recommend but if you like Italian you cannot beat

https://www.carminesonpenn.net/#

May want to wait until a time when you have a couple of people though or you're going to be taking leftovers on the plane too. :laugh: The truck stop is a great idea for shower. :clap:

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm no help on the shower, but for the steak, I'm there. In the Colorado Mills shopping center area, just off I-70 at Denver West, there is a restaurant called the Keg. It's my favorite steakhouse and is relatively affordable. There is also one downtown if you find yourself showering closer to that area.

Maybe you could shower at the hot springs in Idaho Springs?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just looked at the website for Indian Hot Springs. Perfect! Waaaaay better than a truck stop.

Note to self. Idaho Hot Springs next time I go to CO.

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry Girls, the Idaho Springs Hot Springs looks good in the pics, but I give it a big fat Yuck! Every time I've been there, and that's been more than a handful, it was just plain scuzzy. :faint: Somebody please hire a cleaning crew!!

ScottishGirlie is coming to town today, and we will be at Breckenridge tomorrow. If you're interested in having dinner up here PM me. I'd be up for dinner, and I bet ScottishGirlie would too. There a couple amazing steak houses in Summit County. I live about a mile from Keystone, you're welcome to use the spare bath if ya want.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, delete the Hot Springs.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry Girls, the Idaho Springs Hot Springs looks good in the pics, but I give it a big fat Yuck! Every time I've been there, and that's been more than a handful, it was just plain scuzzy. :faint: Somebody please hire a cleaning crew!!

ScottishGirlie is coming to town today, and we will be at Breckenridge tomorrow. If you're interested in having dinner up here PM me. I'd be up for dinner, and I bet ScottishGirlie would too. There a couple amazing steak houses in Summit County. I live about a mile from Keystone, you're welcome to use the spare bath if ya want.
But I'm guessing not any more scuzzy than a truck stop. But, given she was skiing today I'm guessing the decision has been made.

abc

Banned
Thanks very much, sisters! For the great suggestions. I'll see if I can find the Keg and the truck stop.

I didn't check the message till I already passed Idaho Spring, because I hadn't thought about anything available before Denver... :( But I guess it wasn't that much of a lost either.

wahineskisk2, thanks for the offer of bath and invitation for dinner. I'll have to pass this time. I seems to have picked up a bug a couple days ago (a head cold). I thought I'd be over it by today but it seems not quite. Did manage to ski through it but it wasn't exactly pleasant. I'd prefer not to pass it to anyone. So I'll have to be a bit anti-social this time around, rather than risking making to whole gang sick... :(

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tomorrow (Monday), I'll be skiing A-Basin, then flying back to New York on a redeye.

Oops! entirely missed the Monday part... Maybe next time!

Robyn, I don't know about if the truck stop is worse or not. The hot springs was pretty bad!!!!

abc

Banned
A quick update on what I ended up doing...

The Keg is a good stealhouse. Thanks Shannon. Given I had a lot of time to kill, I ordered everything from soup to entree to desert! Spend a good 2 hrs there relaxing and stuffing myself silly. :smile: The steak is good though most of the sides were so-so. Coffee is the weakest I've ever tasted lately... :(

Getting to the Keg exposed what a peice of crap Hertz rental car's GPS is: it doesn't evne know the Colorado Mills Mall! I end up having to call the restuarant for direction! What good is the GPS if I have to do that?

Shower: that turns out to be a bit more interesting. First, I stopped at a visitor center somewhere along I-70 for a bathroom break. Finding the bathroom quite large and clean, I decided to lock the door and wiped myself with a wet towel. I was thinking that might just do for the night. But since I had time to kill, I cruise around the airport hotels again, this time looking for a nice lobby+bar to spend another couple of hours before my flight. Looking through the glasses, I found a pool with some people in there... So I grab my swimsuit and wave to them from the outside. One of them came to open the door. I muttered something about forgetting my room key and he let me in! So I not only got a REAL shower, I even got to soak in the hottub!!!

I'm trying to keep my eyes open in the meeting this morning. I think I'm getting a bit too old for this redeye thing...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga