• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Secondhand helmet- yay or nay?

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
REI had a sale and I got a new Smith Holt helmet for under $50. I have a pretty small noggin' and the Smith came in XS which fits me better then my previous, size small, but adjustable K2 helmet. And its HOT PINK:thumbsup:

Question is what to do with the older K2 helmet? I was hoping with its adjustability it would fit my husband, but no such luck. It's still in good shape, so I hate to see it go to waste just sitting in my closet. And it's never taken any hits or crashes. So what should I do with this thing? It'd be great if I could sell it, but is that like an OK thing to do or not? I can understand not selling kids helmets, but its not like this one is gross or even the least bit funky.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn't buy a second hand helmet from a stranger because I don't know what it's gone through. But you're asking about whether it's okay to sell it, which is different. I know people even buy second-hand motorcycle helmets, which is crazy scary, but then again they are also crazy expensive.

How old is the K2 helmet?

altagirl

Staff member
I've sold used MTB helmets before, when I used to get new ones from my team every season. I wouldn't buy one personally, but I figure adults have their own decision making skills.

MissySki

Angel Diva
While I also wouldn't buy a used helmet, there were a ton of used ones at the Wachusett ski swap I participated in earlier this year and I saw people trying on and buying, so I don't think you need to worry about it being inappropriate or anything like that. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
I was going to say, you could try a ski swap, but I know our local one won't take them. There is always the bulletin board at the local high school or grocery store.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Yeah, my local ski swap wouldn't take it either, but we have a local gear consignment shop. Ski gear is not really there thing, but I called and they said they would take it. If it sells, I'll get credit to buy climbing gear, so that works for me. :becky:

When my local ski shop wouldn't take them for the ski swap, I was curious if there was a reason that I was missing as to why they wouldn't/shouldn't do it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it's just liability. Same reason you can't return a climbing helmet or harness after you bought it.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All our local swaps take helmets, and DH has purchased a hard-to-find model/color combination gently used.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mm, double standards maybe, since we keep old helmets (that we know haven't been damaged) to lend to friends, family etc (and I did sell one recently that was too big for my son), but I'd personally not buy my kids and ourselves used ones. At least we know where our old lids have been. Who knows where someone else's has? Having said that, a bike shop guy once showed me how to test if a bike helmet was safe or not (i.e. whether the polystyrene had been compromised), and they do undertake helmet safety checks for some cycling events, so I guess as long as you know how ... (assuming bike helmets are basically the same as ski helmets from a safety perspective).

Also, the safety check involves a small amount of force, so if you break it while doing so (possibly proving the helmet was unsafe to start with) you'll probably then be held liable for breaking it, etc.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Put in on sale, it won't hurt to try. Worst case scenario if no-one buys and you don't want it to be taking up room and gathering dust, donate.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, the safety check involves a small amount of force, so if you break it while doing so (possibly proving the helmet was unsafe to start with) you'll probably then be held liable for breaking it, etc.

I feel like if the safety test breaks the helmet then it would probably fail said safety test, no?

Dianna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As far as the integrity of a used helmet if I could not see damage I would be OK but I could not deal with other folks hair cuddies, lol. Just the way I was raised, you don't use others combs, brushes or hats. But I see used helmets on Craigslist and forums all the time.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I don't know about ski helmet specifically, but the material in plastic climbing helmets, the white ones- if its yellowing, that supposedly an indication that the material is breaking down and no longer safe. Or so says my gear gurus. How you tell that with a colored helmet is anybody's guess though!

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMHO, I have no reservations selling my used helmet when I got a new one. I know it hasn't been abused, and I sell it very cheaply to someone who otherwise would simply ski without one. I guess I look at it from a different point of view. But I do ask the person to measure their head and make sure it fits properly and that they know how to adjust it to keep it fitting properly. I also advise them to check out www.lidsonkids.org. This is probably better service than they get in a big box sports store or purchasing online. (Loose helmets on kids are a personal pet peeve of mine.)

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nay. Recently went thru this looking for replacement for DD. Her Smith helmet had seen 3 seasons and even though it looked great, considering all the times she "dropped" it it probably was full of micro stress fractures and the material was aging. Decided time to replace.

3-5 years is the 'suggested' time to replace-
https://www.xsportsprotective.com/pages/when-to-replace-your-ski-helmet-or-snowboard-helmet
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdo...guy/How-Often-Should-I-Replace-My-Helmet.html

Same reason expiration dates are stamped on child car seats. The material doesn't last forever, and becomes less sufficient at reducing impact as it ages.

btw for additional protection, MIPS technology is now available in a few snow helmets - probably more next year. The Scott Symbol helmet was the lightest weight I could find with MIPS, only weighs 432g /15 oz (small) and adjustable venting, nice retention system etc.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.mipshelmet.com/ "MIPS sets a new standard in helmet safety. Developed by brain surgeons and scientists to reduce rotational forces on the brain caused by angled impacts to the head."

MIPS (Multi-Directional Impact Protection System) is a slip-plane system within the helmet designed to rotate inside the helmet with the intent to potentially slow or reduce the amount of energy transferred to or from the head possibly reducing head injury from rotational impacts.

POC, Lazer, Rossignol, Scott, and Sweet Protection are current snow manufactures that have this technology. I know a few more snow helmet manufactures are planning on adding it for next year. Looks like Giro, Smith and Fox have added MIPS in some bike helmets. I think as more manufactures add it, the price point difference will go down.

The Scott Quiver is a Junior model - (DD went with the adult Symbol model more features)
Yes its a bit pricey - but for the extra added safety its worth it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna