• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Salomon S/PRO HV 90 boots

Jenny

Angel Diva
Same! And the one on the rack at the Laura Ashley shop in Boston fit as is, no alterations required even.
Mine was on the clearance rack - San di think all we did was sew some additional pads in the bust area, to take up the extra room, lol!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sure makes it easier that way, doesn't it? Pretty sure we ended our shopping day right then and there and went for lunch. But the entire wedding was fairly easy going too. I planned the menu and did the cooking with my Mum, figured out that buying the Pfalzgraf plates I found at a dollar store would be cheaper than renting, My Mum called in family favors for flowers, photos, and even the venue (Ghost Ranch in NM!) Bubbles were ones we discovered at the Santa Fe wine festival, Gruet Brut. But I digress. Back to the skiing! (As an aside, Gruet Brut is no longer made from NM grapes, but still highly recommended.)

newboots

Angel Diva
I tried on the first one - it was $200. I had my eye on this other one that was $2,000! But like you, @diymom - I'm frugal and could never have gone through with that one. Besides, the first one was also in my size!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but were you with a bootfitter when you were trying on the MV boot? If so, is he the one thinking you need to try the HV or did he think the MV was good? Just curious where that part is coming from, i.e. recommendation from fitter or curiosity in general.

I will say for the Technicas I just got, and maybe it's because they are so very LV, but I think it'd be very hard for anyone who isn't quite flexible in their ankles. Once I get in a enough, pulling the tongue to the side is key for me to get the rest of the way there. I was having trouble until Torin had me do it that way because pulling the tongue of my boot straight forward does nothing in this boot, now it's not any harder than my previous Langes. The first few times I put the boot on he was spreading it open overall for me which was MUCH easier lol.

so helpful to have someone open your boots for you! I do pull mine to the side to get in as well, learned from a fitter. The problem getting out is when they are cold and won’t really open!

I have Nordica speed machine boots now. Not impossible to get in and out of but not easy. I had Technicas before that. Also something of a trick. Both boots were professionally fitted. I wish the man who fitted the Technicas were still alive. He didn’t even sell boots so had no skin in that game whatsoever. He said I could have X or Y and to come back when I had them in hand.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I was just assuming that I needed an HV boot, due to my experience with shoes. (And I noted that the last is 102 vs 100 in the MV.). But I’ve been persuaded that these things make a difference.
My personal, anecdotal experience is that ski boots somehow run a lot wider than regular womens shoes. My theory is that womens shoe makers are designing shoes based on a womans foot (which tends to be narrower) whereas womens ski boots are just scaled down mens boots.

Basically I am looking at going into a junior/rec race boot to get ski boots narrow enough for my feet (ive had to get aftermarket liners and add a lot of extra material to them to get a 98mm last to fit me adequately), whereas when I buy regular shoes, "narrow fit" shoes are often too narrow at the toes! :noidea:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you all! I knew I'd get heIp here!

I tried on the mid-volume of both the S/pro 100, 90, and the 80. The 100 felt very snug but somehow comfortable. Interesting, @SarahXC, that the 80 was too soft for you! That's really helpful.

I CAN return them. Our shop carries Salomon, but not this particular boot. The nearest shop that carries them is pretty far away.

I have wide feet, and a high arch and fairly high instep, I think. I'm sure about the arch. The only sneakers I've ever been completely comfortable in are Altras. I actually returned a pair of Hokas because my smaller toes started getting numb/painful (I know that's a contradiction, but <shrug>). My ski boots (6-year-old beginner Dalbellos) do that to my toes sometimes. I don't know their name - it says "PowerFrame" on one side and "ThermoLast" on the toe. <shrug again> I have no experience at all with any other boot, which is part of why this is so difficult.

I can get this sort of discount on some other boots.

I was so excited when I tried on the 100s. Our boot guy, Larry, has filled me with images of being a superb skier just with a change of boots. Good salesman!
It sounds like you are trying to decide which boot to buy while at home on the internet, analyzing your feet and the boots. Are you trying to narrow down the options or actually choose a boot either after or before trying them on, without a bootfitter giving you custom advice based on a nice looong talk with you and measurements of your feet? I would advise against making this boot selection even partially on your own. You need to make the decision while trying on boots and talking with your bootfitter in a shop. And the bootfitter needs to be a good one.

Does your bootfitter remove the liner when he/she puts your foot into a boot in order to do a shell-check for length and width? Does your bootfitter talk to you about the differences between "comfort fit" "performance fit" and "race fit"? Please say yes, or go to another bootfitter.

My advice is do not buy a "comfort fit" nor a "race fit." Ask for a "performance fit." This still may not get you a performance fit if the bootfitter profiles you as a comfort fit skier because you are female and uncertain about boot fit. It's certainly happened to me.

A boot selected for its "comfort" in the ship will be loose in no time, and it will not deliver the control you and everyone else needs over the skis. You may even develop the dreaded "shin bang" if the boots are a bit too loose in the cuff. A tight cuff eliminates shin-bang.

A performance fit will probably feel too tight on your whole foot at first, in the shop. But if you stand there for a while, then walk around in the boots for another while, you should notice that they don't produce pain or tingling or numbness. You should simply notice that the fit is unfamiliarly tight.

The performance fit where the bootfitter chooses low volume or medium or high, and length, should be done with the boot in question on your smaller foot. Then the bootfitter should figure out what parts of the larger foot push against the walls of the boot too much, and grind or punch those areas out so that both feet in the end are snuuuu-uuug inside those boots, to the point of making you wonder if the boots are too tight. But you should feel no pain. And you should believe the bootfitter is giving you a true performance fit and not ignoring your request because, well, he doesn't think you can handle a performance fit. You can.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
I spent an hour or more with the bootfitter. I tried on four different pairs. He is definitely performance-oriented.

I have pain in every shoe except Altras and the wider Keens. And when I ski often (even recently in 2-hour increments in NJ) the pain starts up and bothers me in or out of ski boots. I’m nervous about a performance fit. And I’m going to see a podiatrist - I think it could be Morton’s neuroma.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I spent an hour or more with the bootfitter. I tried on four different pairs. He is definitely performance-oriented.

I have pain in every shoe except Altras and the wider Keens. And when I ski often (even recently in 2-hour increments in NJ) the pain starts up and bothers me in or out of ski boots. I’m nervous about a performance fit. And I’m going to see a podiatrist - I think it could be Morton’s neuroma.

My foot doc tells me he sees the most Morton’s neuroma problems with wearers of ski boots and bike shoes. Both tend to either compress the foot from side to side or not expand any, such as cold ski boots. I take my ski boots with me when I go to visit. I didn’t have much problem last year. The reasons couof be less hours on the ski slope because the crowds annoyed me or the boot fitter and I got the boot sizing and placement of the neuroma pad right. At least for last season! Feet change with age, unlike every other thing about aging! :cry::rolleyes::frusty:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Did you buy a boot?

My bootfitter (who saved my skiing by finally putting me in the right boots and fitting them snugly to my feet) solved my Morton's neuromas by putting shims under the footbed, just behind the ball-of-foot. I've done that to my running shoes' footbeds myself with duct tape.

But some feet don't respond to those shims. The solution may be to have the podiatrist surgically clip the unhappy nerve. Maybe they can do other things to settle down the inflammation.

Before any of that, however, if the boot's toe box is narrow and scrunching up your forefoot, a bootfitter with the right tool can punch out the toe box so it is wider. Having the right tool is important. Did your guy offer to do that for you?

newboots

Angel Diva
I haven't bought a boot. I work at the shop, so I do try on these and other boots whenever there's down time, and wear them around. We've discussed what a good footbed will do, what might need punching out, etc. I'm not 100% convinced that this fitter is the best for me, so I'm thinking of trying a different one. The shop discount, though, would make the performance fit boots affordable (sort of) so that's an important consideration. Without the discount, I wouldn't be buying the performance fit.

Before any of that, however, if the boot's toe box is narrow and scrunching up your forefoot, a bootfitter with the right tool can punch out the toe box so it is wider. Having the right tool is important. Did your guy offer to do that for you?

Oh yes. All the options, at length. I kept interrupting other things he was doing until he proclaimed me "the worst customer ever!" (Ski shop humor, not an insult. More like a term of endearment.)

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh yes. All the options, at length. I kept interrupting other things he was doing until he proclaimed me "the worst customer ever!" (Ski shop humor, not an insult. More like a term of endearment.)
My fitter told me I am "not the worst" when it comes to difficult feet, and I will wear that label proudly to the end :rotf:

Good luck with the podiatrist - my friend has a mortons neuroma and has similar symptoms to what you describe. It sounds like hell in ski boots.

Being able to try on all the boots at your leisure sounds great for ski boot buying, at least!

newboots

Angel Diva
After a lengthy internet search, I found a podiatrist who advertises that he is interested in optimizing athletic performance in addition to the rest that they do. I’m going to try him. They make foot beds/orthotics in house.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

@newboots, did you ever get this issue resolved?

newboots

Angel Diva
I ordered the regular S/Pro 100 boots, not HV. They are on their way. I am able to return them if it doesn't work out. All good!

Not as good: nobody where I work is an expert bootfitter. The two most experienced people left the company (one is a chemist and went to Moderna, the other to a shop that offers health insurance to full time employees. Health insurance! This guy - well, both of them - worked for the company for years without getting health insurance. Appalling!)

I will check with the other shops in the company and figure out who is the most reliable bootfitter. My much-revered fitter in Vermont is hospitalized again, and we fear he won't be able to return to work.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do your feet normally require a lot of boot work? Hopefully you can find someone in-house so you don't negate any employee discounts by having to get work done.

newboots

Angel Diva
Did you go and get footbeds?

I got footbeds, although not the custom orthotics ($500!) Skiing: the sport that keeps on taking! $$$$
They are quite helpful in my shoes, although they take up some volume that requires me to mess with the laces and wish I had a lower instep.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I got footbeds, although not the custom orthotics ($500!) Skiing: the sport that keeps on taking! $$$$
They are quite helpful in my shoes, although they take up some volume that requires me to mess with the laces and wish I had a lower instep.

I’ve never paid $500 for custom ski boot footbeds! I think more like $150 - $200ish depending on where and what type the shop uses.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna