• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Salomon Rush 8 boot (2006 model)

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First, some background. I bought these boots on the recommendation of Jeff Rich at the U.S. Orthotic Center in NYC, after having some horrible experiences with a painful boot--Salomon Ellipse--that ended up actually breaking a couple of months after I bought them (Pelican Ski Shop took them back on warranty), then a Technica Rival boot that ended up being way too big and too wide. I've got really fussy feet and have always had trouble buying shoes, etc, so after struggling on my own, I decided to get custom orthotics made and had my boots modified to accommodate my fussy feet. I had the Technica boots when I first saw Jeff, and he basically told me to ditch them and get a boot in the right size (Rush 8).

After skiing on the Solly boots several times, I decided they still weren't quite right, but didn't feel like hassling with more trips to NYC. So I did an overnight trip to Stratton and met with Pete Parker at the Green Mountain Orthotics Lab to have him finish customizing my boots. What a great group of folks GMO are!! I was more impressed with them than I was Jeff Rich. So after all the customization, I'm tied to these boots for the foreseeable future (not that I want to get rid of them--they're actually comfortable).

Fast-forward to now. I just switched my velcro OEM power straps for Booster straps--wow! What a difference in fit! In the process, my SO found a discussion online that talked about how, in the men's version of my boot, the instep buckle, if put in the position where it's closest to the ankle, "crashes" with the lower cuff buckle, preventing the boot from flexing properly. We looked at the instep buckle on my boots and sure enough, there was evidence (a gouge in the side of the buckle) showing the same problem. So at the same time SO put the Booster straps on, he also moved the buckle to the more forward position--oddly enough, my heels feel more snug in the heel pockets now.

When I skied on the boots last night (first time since the modifications), I found that the boots feel completely different, not necessarily in a bad way, but such that I feel like I have to "learn" some of my technique all over again. I always had trouble getting my shins forward enough in the boots to touch the front, and could never really cinch down the velcro power strap enough to put the liner tongue close enough to my shins, resulting in a rather sloppy cuff fit. Now they fit nice and snug. These boots have a flex rating of 80, but I have a feeling that, pre-modification, they weren't flexing anywhere near 80 because of the sloppy fit on the cuffs and because the instep buckle was interfering with the cuff flex.

So, to make a long story longer :blah: , I've got 2 questions. Do any of you ladies use Booster straps? If so, what impact did it have on your skiing when you switched to them?

Second question, does anyone else have Salomon Rush (8 or 9?) (Retromaven?) boots? If you have the instep buckles in the position that's closer to the cuff, are the buckles interfering with the boot flex?

Jilly

Staff member
I've noticed that problem with buckle 2 and 3 on 4 buckle boots in many of them. Hubby has a pair of Atomic plug boots. Exactly the same issue. I think that is why Salomon made that buckle moveable. Great idea and for some (like you) made all the difference in the fit and flex. If the 2 and 3rd buckles are touching, then that's a far as you can flex. So check and see if you have a 3D buckle. It will probably be a different colour.
Booster straps I've never tried. Might have to!

Simone29

Certified Ski Diva
Not sure if i can answer your question but,

I have a Salomon Rush 8 boot from that year. I got them from stratton mountain and was told that this is a great boot for people with narrow ankles and calves. But they moved buckles 3 and 4 to make it so tight that i had no boot flex. I actually developed a neuropathy in my feet and did not have feeling in my feet for 6 months.

This year i took them to Aspen and a bootfitter there, moved the 3rd and 4rth buckles back so that i could flex more, and i got a surefoot heat molded footbed and a heal lift to raise me up so my calf did not get stuck in the boot. They're great now.

I'm not sure if this answers any of your question. But for me by moving the buckles i could flex more.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly, yes, the 3rd buckle is a 3D buckle. I guess maybe the position of the buckle that interferes with flex for me may work better for someone with extra-thin lower legs and ankles, which I don't have. My calves are more muscular and I did notice that they get a little bit pinched when I tighten the Booster strap--I'll have to make sure I don't tighten it down too much.

Simone, I've got heel lifts in my boots as well. I'm sure that for me, it will just be a matter of getting used to my "new" boots.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've seen that with other 4 buckle boots but never had an issue myself. Glad you finally got it fixed!

Several people on our Thursday night race league use Booster Straps and swear by them. I bought the Expert model for hubby last X-mas and he adores them. He says his cuff fits much better and there's a more immediate and direct response from his boots now. I thought for sure I'd be getting a pair for X-mas this year, but got big $$ major computer upgrades instead. (I'm OK with that! :D )

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Several people on our Thursday night race league use Booster Straps and swear by them. I bought the Expert model for hubby last X-mas and he adores them. He says his cuff fits much better and there's a more immediate and direct response from his boots now.
I guess it's the more immediate and direct response I need to get used to! I do feel that the cuffs wrap around my legs very nicely now. That's got to be a good thing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga