• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Running with a baby jogger training question

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been a while since I've taken out the double jogger and run with my kids in it (now totaling about 85 lbs between them, plus the jogger itself). So here's the question... I found a 5K race that may work scheduling-wise for me before winter--it's on 11/28--but since DH will have to work that day, I will be on my own with the kids. I *may* be able to get a babysitter (in fact, traditionally they usually spend that weekend with my MIL) but if I don't, is it crazy to think I could actually complete a 5K while pushing them? Right now I'm up to 2 consecutive miles on the treadmill and the Smart Coach training plan has me at 6 miles that week for my long run (may be ambitious at this point but we shall see). The race course is described as "super, duper, beyond flat" so that's comforting as far as tacking on pushing all that weight... but I'm not sure.

I'd really like to get one race in before the winter so I can carry over the excitement of completing it throughout the winter. But I'm just not experienced enough to know if this is realistic.

I know I've been asking for a lot of hand-holding lately but I could use the encouragement and assistance. Thanks!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can train for it with pushing the stroller, at least once a week, I think you should be fine. And really, what's the worst case scenario? You don't go as fast and/or have to walk parts of it?

As long as your stroller is a decent one that rolls smoothly, it shouldn't be a problem. The weight increase isn't all that noticeable in a good stroller. I ran a 10k last fall pushing the stroller, and while it wasn't my first choice, it worked.

The only thing I would caution you on is to make sure that you do at least *some* of your training with the stroller. The rules about not trying anything new on race day apply to pushing strollers, too!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's very sensible, itri. Our stroller isn't new (bought it second-hand off craigslist and I suspect it's about 8-10 years old) but it's pretty lightweight and rolls well. I need to have DH check the handbrake again as it doesn't work as well as it should. As long as there's no snow on the ground (which I can't decide if I want that or not as that should be opening weekend for our home ski hill), pushing the stroller should be okay.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, not all races allow the use of jogging strollers. You might want to look into it beforehand.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This one not only does, but is giving a special award to the mom or dad with a jogging stroller who finishes first. :D

Luckily, it looks like my mother-in-law will have the kids that morning so I don't have to worry about it. But thank you for the input!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna