• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

ruh-roh. had a fall, and it was a doozy

mtngirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had to do 7 months of stall rest once for one with a torn hind suspensory injury, and it SUCKED!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh that must have been a doozy of an injury. 7 months is a LONG time for a suspensory!

mtngirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We initially let him keep his small paddock, and it wasn't healing, so I think that caused a delay, and I guess hind suspensory injuries are harder to heal... The vet said in most cases you would prefer horses to injure a hind leg over a front, with the exception of the suspensory...

He took it pretty well, really, but was pretty fired out whenever he got to go for a walk!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, hind suspensories are much worse. Suspensory injuries in general suck. They are never the same after. Thankfully, so far mine is not officially an injury yet but is just kind of letting us know we need to be careful! Kinda like a tweaked ACL vs. a full-blown torn one. I'm trying really hard to not get down about not being able to show at regionals in June! Crossing fingers that we can still go.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you want to REALLY learn about horse behavior, spend some time sitting and watching a field of mixed-age and mixed-sex ones and you will learn a lot. They are MEAN to each other! But they also scratch each other's withers and are highly protective. And they pick their buddies, too, and their enemies. It's very interesting!

My instructor told me that part of the point of grooming before the ride is bonding, and part of it is inspection for damage. So when I was grooming my big boy last Friday, I noticed that he had a couple of little bare spots on his rump. I figured the owner probably knew about it, but since I'm learning how to take care of the horses, I figured what the hell, so I brought it to her attention.

She said that is where his buddy in the paddock chews on him.

:rolleyes: (I can tell I'm going to get a lot of use out of *this* emoticon in this group...) :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to learn about this stuff. I speak Dog without thinking about it. I also speak Cat very well...well enough that my boy seems to consider me some kind of over-sized tail-less feline freak. His idea of a Good Time is to pick a fight with me...he follows me around the house posing in a pounce with his ears slicked back. If I don't rise to that bait, he escalates it to attacking my feet as I walk. And if that doesn't work, he does it with his claws out (which almost *always* gets me to engage). Then we have a good old fashioned cat wrestling match. He's got claws and teeth, but I outweigh him by approximately 175 pounds and I can use both hands without losing my balance. I figure it's a fair fight.

Learning Horse is going to be a real kick. hehehe, get it, a pun. kick? get it? :laugh::laugh:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well keep sharing your stories! It's refreshing to hear it from your point of view. I'm also now teaching all things horse to my 4 YO daughter and it's fun explaining to her what he's doing or saying. She's also learning to pick his stall and paddock, by her request, and it's hilarious!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the Household Cavalry was thrown from his horse which then bolted past the Royal Carriage after the wedding today. What notoriety!

Bet his pride is badly injured.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Just watch that on 20/20 how much beer is he going to have to buy for that one!!!! See Serafina EVERYBODY that rides much will eventually fall off! :wink: You are in good company! I don't think the rider was hurt but you can bet his ego is severly bruised along with his bottom!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is true! At least I have the excuse of being a rookie, and I was not on international television! :smile:

Have just been having a discussion with Mr. Serafina on the subject. He was stuck in traffic on the way home when the cop called to tell him that the ambulance had carried me off. He's a pretty unflappable guy - he'd have to be, to be married to me - but he said he was definitely freaking out about it a bit. When he got to the hospital he could see that everything was going to be OK, but the 30 minutes before that were not a fun time for him.

And still, he thinks it's a great idea that I'm going to keep up with it. What a guy!

BTW, I saw the PA at my regular doc this morning on a follow-up to last week's mayhem. She came in, sat down, looked at the chart, and said "You're here because...let me see...you had a fall last week."

"Yes, I did. I fell off a horse and knocked myself out cold." I said.

By this point, I should have been prepared for what happened next, but I wasn't. :laugh:

"Oh, really?" she said. "What kind of horse were you riding?"

"Uh," I said. "I think it was called a warmblood. Had some draft horse up the family tree, and was 16.2 hands."

"Great!" she said. "My family has always ridden thoroughbreds".

And things went generally in that direction...she rode English all her life, on the TBs, loves riding like crazy, doesn't have as much time as she'd like for it now, etc.

Eventually, it wound back around to the concussion, and took the direction that she's taken a large number of falls and had the ambulance trip before, knows what the concussion is like, and has heard good things about the stables I'm learning at, etc etc etc good thing about the helmet, was glad to hear I wasn't put off by this incident because most falls really are not that bad. Suggested a longe line, happy to hear I'd already discussed this with the instructor, thought it was a good idea to get some instruction in emergency dismounts at this point, offered some insights about how she does it (pushes up on the pommel, or what passes for a pommel on an English saddle, and lets herself slide off the horse's butt).

I'd say the visit was no more than 50% concussion, and the rest of it was All Horse.

I didn't think I'd encounter a subculture that was more hard-core, or, as Mr. Serafina puts it, "more nut-case", over their sport than skiers...but horse people definitely have the ascendancy at the moment!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, yeah, and I'm totally cleared to go back to riding next week. YAY! :dance:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't think I'd encounter a subculture that was more hard-core, or, as Mr. Serafina puts it, "more nut-case", over their sport than skiers...but horse people definitely have the ascendancy at the moment!
Oh, horse people are NUTS! WAY nuttier than any other sport, well maybe except dog showing (is that a sport?) Why? Because of barn blindness.

What is barn blindness? It's similar to "parents-with-head-up-butt" syndrome. "MY horse would never do that (insert verb--bite, kick, you name it.) "MY horse is perfect in EVERY way!" (I am my own horses' worst critic, poor things!) "Your horse is an ugly POS." "YOU ride like crap!" (OK, so there are some show riders out there who really ARE hideous, but to each their own!) "WHY do you do it THAT way? Oh my GOD that is so ABUSIVE!"

Oh, I need to share the latest FB/youtube funny video that went around. It's a cartoon parody with a barn owner and potential boarder/horse owner. And boy, does it ring true! I'll go hunt it down. It's all stuff we've ALL heard, over and over.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think dog showing counts. Best In Show is one of my all-time favorites. Laughed myself sick on that...

OMG. I want to say "NO! No one would ever say that kind of wack stuff! It can't possibly be true!" but I suspect this is actually a conversation that every stable owner who offers boarding really has had. Possibly once a month.

:fear:

Sheesh. I have often thought of having a horse, but I figured that the best way to approach that was to take riding lessons and learn about how to take care of them, then possibly, after a year or so, consider getting a half-lease and see how that goes.

Rescue horses, young horses, untrained horses, do-it-yourself farrier work, expecting the horse to get all its nutritional needs met by eating someone's pasture, horses with no tack...with this, too, I'd like to say "NO! That doesn't happen! No way!" but I've actually seen Animal Cops a couple of times, and if it's not Cat Hoarders or Dog Fighters, it's abused horses. Can't watch that show...

Agreed on the head-up-butt syndrome. One thing I have learned is that there is no group so judgmental and vicious as tween and teen horse riders. Nor is there any group with less ability to spell and less grasp of grammar. A short tour of YouTube horse riding videos (both instructional ones and Worst Fall Ever ones) yields thousands and thousands of inarticulate, misspelled commentary to the tune of "YOU are the WORST rider EVER!"

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're going about it the right way, probably because your IQ is significantly higher than a lot of horse owners! People often think they're like having any other pet, and pets aren't easy anyway, but horses are a whole nuther ball game in cost and overall care, and the costs are skyrocketing with hay prices going through the roof. I'd dearly love to own more than one, and could technically afford more than one, but I prefer to provide the one I have with impeccable care :D

mtngirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
and yeah.. lots of horse people are pretty evangelical about their "way" and can be ridiculously cruel and mean to people who are into other disciplines or other training methods. You would think they would have enough people to go after that actually are doing some pretty dangerous and terrible things, but yeah.. horse people can be pretty bad.

I have videos of me showing when I was a kid where you can hear the parents bickering with each other in the grandstands.

One of my favorite videos, where I won a class that was a big deal for me to win, you can hear a few peoples negative opinions about it...

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

OK. I'll bite. NO WAY PEOPLE REALLY SAY AND DO THIS KIND OF THING! No way. People cannot possibly be that stupid! This would be bad enough if people were rolling this kind of nutty stuff out over a pet cricket. But a horse?!?! People are that dumb???!!??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna