• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rossi Temptation 80 2016 or Rossi sprayer for first skis?

elephantseal2

Certified Ski Diva
Hi,
I'm buying my first skis (lockdown ski store sale!! ). Im torn between 2. Does anyone have thoughts on the Rossignol temptation 80 2016 (144cm) or Rossignol sprayer 2019 (148cm) skis. I'm 160cm tall 52 kg and ski green/blue resort runs.

The sprayers appeal to me because theyre a twin tip, opening up learning switch which sounds fun. They're also longer (reach the tip of my nose) than the temptation's (reach my mouth). How much of a difference does 4cm make anyways? But I've also seen some saying theyre a junior ski and can be shaky at high speeds and that they chip easily.

The rossi temptations, I like the graphics and i've heard nothing but praise about them, but some sources say theyre suited to intermediate/advanced and I dont want to get something that i'll struggle with. Perhaps it gives room to grow? The only downside is i cant ski switch on them. I'm willing to consider putting my twin tip dreams on hold if the rossi temptations are a better quality and more worthit.

They both have their pros/cons so I was hoping to hear some input, to push me towards one. I'm a uni student so hoping they'll last me quite a few years.

Rossi sprayer

Rossi temptation:

Thanks in advance

Jilly

Staff member
Because of the twin tip (TT) the sprayer is going to ski really short. And as noted in the description these are Junior skis. So there a weight range that needs to be considered. Graphics really shouldn't make or break a deal on skis, unless they are really ugly. You're suppose to cover them with snow right?

If you don't mind, what are your stats. Height, approximate weight and skier ability. (Metric or Imperial, no stone weight please, lol)

I'm a Rossi girl. Currently on 2 pairs and have owned the Temptation.
So another question - are these skis new/old stock, or used? Temptation name was dropped a few years ago and is now the Experience W.

elephantseal2

Certified Ski Diva
Because of the twin tip (TT) the sprayer is going to ski really short. And as noted in the description these are Junior skis. So there a weight range that needs to be considered. Graphics really shouldn't make or break a deal on skis, unless they are really ugly. You're suppose to cover them with snow right?

If you don't mind, what are your stats. Height, approximate weight and skier ability. (Metric or Imperial, no stone weight please, lol)

I'm a Rossi girl. Currently on 2 pairs and have owned the Temptation.
So another question - are these skis new/old stock, or used? Temptation name was dropped a few years ago and is now the Experience W.
thanks for replying :smile: I'm 52 kg and 160cm tall, skiing on greens and blue resort runs. I'm building confidence in parallel turns but i still use wedged stops. I ski ~1-2 weeks/year. If it helps, i'm in aus so we dont get a lot of powder. These skis are sold brand new unused

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
So, you're a very normal sized young adult... I would definitely go towards adult skis. but I wonder if 144s will possibly be too short?. Having just skied on short skis last season, they do cause issues in suboptimal conditions - and I ski a lot of the same types of runs as you.

elephantseal2

Certified Ski Diva
So, you're a very normal sized young adult... I would definitely go towards adult skis. but I wonder if 144s will possibly be too short?. Having just skied on short skis last season, they do cause issues in suboptimal conditions - and I ski a lot of the same types of runs as you.
Thanks for your input. What were the negative effects short skis caused for you? I guess i'm just wondering if the length is a deal breaker and how heavily it will impact me, considering my level and that I only ski 1 week/season. If you remember, how tall were the skis compared to you? Thanks again

marzNC

Angel Diva
Does anyone have thoughts on the Rossignol temptation 80 2016 (144cm) or Rossignol sprayer 2019 (148cm) skis. I'm 160cm tall 52 kg and ski green/blue resort runs.
Welcome! I'm your size but probably a good deal older. No interest in twin tips.

As for 144cm, that would be on the short side by probably okay for a week. My skis that are 78 underfoot are 148cm. My all-mountain skis are mid-150s in length.

When I've demo'd skis that are too short, they feel unstable at any slightly faster speed on intermediate groomed trails. Also not that great when there is any fresh snow, whether from a snowstorm or a snowgun.

General guideline for an ambitious advanced beginner or an intermediate is skis that come up to about the nose. Skis below the chin are definitely too short no matter what design in terms of tip and/or tail rocker.

Jilly

Staff member
The sprayer is not going to help you down the road. It's too soft, too short. It's a tweener ski. So for a teenager. You're not.

If you seriously want to ski better than the temptation is a better ski. But 144 is too short. I've got a few cm's on you and more kg. But my Temptations were 161's. You would be better with something in the 150's. If you look at the base of the Temptations, you will see little arrows. That is the point where the ski actually makes contact with the snow. So at 161, the ski actually contacts the snow at lot less. At 144, you would only have maybe 130cm of the ski on the snow. Too short.

What else have they got in your price range?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you got your own boots yet? I would not even worry about skis before you have your own, properly fitted ski boots - they are MUCH more important as they are how you tell your skis what to do so poorly fitting boots (for most people, too-large rental boots) can really impede your skiing progress. Also, at the beginner/intermediate stage you are more likely to outgrow or outski any skis you buy, making it a more worthwhile prospect to rent until you are more solidly intermediate.

Regarding your original question, I would discount the tweener skis immediately and say no to the Temptations unless you go for a longer version. The Temptation 80s are pretty soft and get flappy at any suggestion of speed, although are very easy to turn. You will probably outski the 144cm as soon as you get on them.

elephantseal2

Certified Ski Diva
The sprayer is not going to help you down the road. It's too soft, too short. It's a tweener ski. So for a teenager. You're not.

If you seriously want to ski better than the temptation is a better ski. But 144 is too short. I've got a few cm's on you and more kg. But my Temptations were 161's. You would be better with something in the 150's. If you look at the base of the Temptations, you will see little arrows. That is the point where the ski actually makes contact with the snow. So at 161, the ski actually contacts the snow at lot less. At 144, you would only have maybe 130cm of the ski on the snow. Too short.

What else have they got in your price range?
I've been fitted with boots, so thats sorted:smile:. The next length up is 152cm for the temptation's but theyre out of stock :(

The other 2 skis I considered were the dynastar outland (154cm), and the atomic affinity (148cm).

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think either of the two skis you linked above would be better options, but I would look at that mid 150s range rather than <150.
Have you considered looking at US/UK sites with international shipping options? Generally ski gear in Australia and NZ is expensive compared to other countries - I got new skis WITH bindings for $600 NZD (from absolute snow), and that included the shipping from the UK! Powder7 appears to have quite a few ex-demo pairs on sale as well.

Jilly

Staff member
Again the Affinity is too short. For our American divas - 5'2/114lb. All mountain skis should be skied longer for stability. Middle of the 150's for you. If you had said the Cloud, perfect. So the dynastar would be better stat wise. But this is a unisex ski and it could be a little stiff. With it being 8 year old, I can't remember too much about it. Again new old stock, or used?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Thanks for your input. What were the negative effects short skis caused for you? I guess i'm just wondering if the length is a deal breaker and how heavily it will impact me, considering my level and that I only ski 1 week/season. If you remember, how tall were the skis compared to you? Thanks again
Short skis didn’t give me stability in softer conditions. … especially noticeable just off the lift in warmer conditions. the skis came up to my chin.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What were the negative effects short skis caused for you?
I don't often demo skis that are too short, but too-short skis definitely hinder your progress because you don't feel secure as you go faster and the skis start to "chatter" and feel unstable. Skis that are too soft also do this.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I don't often demo skis that are too short, but too-short skis definitely hinder your progress because you don't feel secure as you go faster and the skis start to "chatter" and feel unstable. Skis that are too soft also do this.
I haven't skied on skis that were too short for quite a while. Very rarely an option at a demo day since I'm petite.

However, just did a rental package at the indoor slope near New York City. (Trip report here.). Even though I put down "advanced" I was given very short skis. Most people who rent are beginners. The skis were below my chin. My daughter is about the same height and switched to the next size up. Since I wasn't planning on taking that many runs, I didn't bother to switch out. Between the rental boots that were the right size but still not great and the very short skis, I felt very unstable going at any speed on the steeper (still very easy) slope.

elephantseal2

Certified Ski Diva
Again the Affinity is too short. For our American divas - 5'2/114lb. All mountain skis should be skied longer for stability. Middle of the 150's for you. If you had said the Cloud, perfect. So the dynastar would be better stat wise. But this is a unisex ski and it could be a little stiff. With it being 8 year old, I can't remember too much about it. Again new old stock, or used?
Thank you, I'll have a look at the ski you've linked. As for the length, would 155ishcm still apply if the skis are fully cambered? I've also been looking at some K2 free luvs in 156cm, but the site says they have no tip or tail rocker?

Jilly

Staff member
That length wouldn't be bad. I'm concerned tha it's an 11 year old ski. If It's used RUN AWAY.

Camber is good on groomers.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed with the above about older skis. Is the fact that you're mostly looking at significantly older ski models a price issue, or an availability issue because you want to buy locally?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965