• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Returning to skiing after major surgery

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, some of you know that I was involved in a skiing accident last March. A teenager from Nova Scotia hit me from behind and knocked me down. The result was damage to two of the ligaments in my knee. I had surgery last March and was in physical therapy from April through July. Now I am getting ready for ski season and my first ski trip is scheduled for December.

Here are my questions: - Does anyone have any advice on things I should do (or not do) to physically and mentally prepare for my first time on skis since the accident? Has anyone had major surgery during the off season and then returned to skiing? What worked well for you? What would you avoid if you found yourself in the same situation again? Should I start off on the bunny hill or a nice blue trail?

Any thoughts, comments, insights are welcome . . . . :confused:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lola, If I were you I'd shoot a PM to Lisamarie. She is a supreme fitness instructor, works with ESA, and has had a lot of great advice for people with your specific injury.
If she pops in and reads this thread, I'm positive she'll give you some great pointers.

I'm sooooo happy you are on the mend and will be back at it again this winter.
:p

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Lola,
I can totally relate! Back in 99 I had back surgery. I never thought I would ba able to ski again. I really did nothing to rehab other than some strength training in the gym. I was really nervous about getting back on skis. So I took it slow stayed on some blues then moved on to the blacks and then into the bumps. It went just fine. I was so afraid I was going to hurt myself again,but as you know I am out there all the time now. So my advice to you is too take it slow. Get your confidence back! You are a good skier.You will know when you are ready for more difficult terrain.Your ACL is probably stronger than before you injured it. Your gonna be fine Lola!!

T

cnewbound

Certified Ski Diva
Hiya Lola,

I had a massive fall whilst racing a few years back- whilst it put my racing career on hold:( my knee now feels better than ever. I had to work at it a long time and spent many days strength training.

My advice would be to wear a knee brace (which im sure your doc has already mentioned) for at least the first year back on skis. As much as it limits your movement sometimes, keep the brace on until you feel totally comfortable!

Crystel.

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Lola!

Mark and I are currently spending a weekend in Vegas. (okay, don't ask!;) ) They seriously rip you off on Internet time out here, but I have a very detailed answer for your question. I actually wrote an entire chapter on the subject! Check back by Monday night!

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, here goes. There are two ways you need to heal after a major surgery: Physical and psychological. While all of us are different, in my case, no matter what I did on a physical level, until I recovered from the emotional scars, the healing process was significantly stalled. Here are the things I had to come to terms with:
1. I was hurt while doing something that I loved.

2. I was hurt when I was with someone who always made me feel safe. I tore my ACL when I was taking a class with an instructor who is also a very close friend. There was always something about his presence that made me feel invincible. Imagine my surpirse when I discovered that I was not.

3. I was hurt when my skiing skills were at their highest, but my fitness level was at its lowest. When we first moved to Summit County, I was in skier's fantasy land. Although I have a sport fitness studio, my teaching style is very hands on. After class, given the option of doing my own workout or skiing, guess what I chose?

No matter how much training I did, while I was still obssesed with these issues, nothing happened. Even when Loveland started blowing snow in October, I refused to go out in early season. (however, given some of the accidents that happened to some of the instructors on Epic last October/November, that is posbably a good thing)

Finally, in early December, Weems from Epic contacted me to come out an play. he even came down to Breck to ski with me. Here is some Weem's Wisdom:

* I told him that I felt as id I has dropped down to being a Level 3 skier. He told me that I was actually a Level 6 with a Level 3 attitude. Apparently, this is coomon after injury.

* By all means start out on easy trails, but don't baby yourself too much. Find the "blue" in every green, and the black in every blue. You can even do this in small doses. For example, when we got out of the cafeteria, instead of letting me exit through the flat section, we went down a small part of the trail that had a somewhat steep pitch. It was only about three feet log, but it was a start.

* "The past is not the future." This is important to realize. I found myself afraid of feeling confident, because confidence had lead me to cockiness, and cockiness had lead me to injury. Weems said to remember that the past is not the future.

Now that I have rambled on ad infinatum about mental healing, I will get to the physical rehab program. At the risk of being called a spammer, I am going to give you a chapter excerpt for this. Please keep in mind that this is simply becasue I am too lazy to write the whole thing out. ;) However, if anyone finds this offensive, please let me know.

The ACL Rehab Plan: How Lisa Got Her Groove Back

Your first priority after ACL surgery is regaining range of motion. While static stretching is definitely required, in my case, dynamic flexibility was the most helpful. Many of my abdominal exercises involve:

• Lying on my back
• Heels on the stability ball
• Flexing or extending either one leg or both while performing crunches or upper body rotations

Prone exercises on the ball were also extremely helpful, particularly the knee pull :

• Lie prone with your belly on the ball and hands on the floor, feet off the floor.
• Inhale to prepare
• Exhale as you bend your knees and try to bring them towards your chest.
• Keep your abdominals drawn in
• Focus on the ball
• Inhale to straighten your legs.

This was extremely helpful, because you can see you progress as the knee regains range of motion.

As I began to heal, I decided to “amp up” my post rehab routine. My intuition told me that I needed a program that used dynamic range of motion exercises as opposed to static stretching. At the recreation center, I would use the elliptical machine, followed by the recumbent bicycle. I also included lateral walking on the treadmill, which provided dynamic strength for the adductors and abductors. This was important for preventing re-injury of the MCL and meniscus.
• Set the machine on an incline
• Stand sideways with your left foot uphill and your right foot downhill.
• Hold the rails until you are confident about your balance.
• Start the machine at a slow pace.
• Step up with your left foot.
• Bring your right foot up to meet it.
• Perform for five minutes.
• Pause machine and switch sides.

Also, as I said in the Fitness thread, be sure to work your hamstrings really hard! Good Luck and keep the faith!

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In case anyone is interested, I saw my surgeon for the last time today. He basically told me that I am too healthy to come back and that no further appointments are needed. My right leg is registering at 87% of my left leg, and that means discharge from surgeon's care. Yeah for me!

We talked a bit about skiing this season. His advice to me this year is to wear my Don Joy brace every time I ski, to stay out of the moguls and glades, stay on mostly groomed runs, and take it easy - working my way back up to my previous skiing level by focusing on improving my technique. He says that it really takes a full year to get back to my previous skiing level, and that this season I will be susceptible to re-injuring my knee if I push too hard too fast.

Now, of course, that is HIS advice. I definitely want to work on improving my carving and developing more rhythm while I ski. I am ok with staying out of the moguls and glades for a year. However, I don't want to be too timid that I mentally set myself back.

Having said all of that, I am planning to get plenty of time on the slopes this season. I have a weekend trip planned for Stowe on December 15th (as we are all well aware). I will be skiing with Lil at Okemo and Killington over Christmas and New Years. And I hope to get in another weekend in mid-to-late January before my Women's Apline Adventure weekend at Okemo during the first weekend in February. Then it's off to Steamboat, CO in March.

Of course, I want to ski with as many of the divas as I can this year. Now wouldn't that be just great!! :D

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Great news, Lola! Just take it easy -- don't push -- and you'll be fine.

Can't wait to ski with you!!!!!

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, for any of you who are interested . . . they published my article today. I am a member of the American Counseling Association and they have a monthly magazine called Counseling Today. They published my article in the November issue on page 12 under the Finding Your Way column. I wrote a personal reflection relating to my major knee surgery earlier this year and the impact of my surgery on my clients and myself.

Anyway, just a shameless plug for this published author. :D Fortunately for me, when they pay you $0 for your writing, there is no taxable income!

Lola

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations! How exciting! I'm sure a lot of people will be able to benefit from your experience.

Is there any way we could see a copy? Is it on the web?

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, today was the big day - my first day on the slopes since my accident and surgery last March. :smile:

Phil took me to the skiing mecca of Jack Frost Mountain in the ever beautiful Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania (or Pencil-tucky as my sister so affectionately refers to it). Jack Frost has a whopping 600 vertical feet and 4 of their 24 trails were open.

Like my surgeon said, I wore my Don Joy knee brace. First we went to the kiddie bunny slope. I remembered when Lil and I skiied with my son on that trail when he was about 3 or 4. No problem. So I moved onto the full green trail aptly named Powder Puff which turned into a blue trail named Easy Rider. At this point I said to Phil, "Ok, take me to the blue trail" which was the terrain park named One Park. We skied that about four times and I said, "OK, I'm ready for the black trail." We then skied Challenge over and over again - I'd say at least a dozen times, until we got bored and drove home. There were no other trails open.

So, I feel really good. The first ride on the lift, I noticed that the brace hooked a little bit with the chair, but I managed to unhook it very quickly. It did feel weird sking with the brace on - and wearing it again (I haven't worn it since July).

But, all in all, it was a good day. I got my rhythm back very quickly and I was skiing with some speed, although not as fast as I have skied in the past. I did notice that I favored my left leg (non-injured) more than my right leg (injured), which I guess is to be expected. However, before my accident, I always favored my right leg - I guess because I am right handed. Maybe by the end of the year, I will be skiing more evenly on both of my legs?

In any event, I got back on my skis and enjoyed a beautiful day on the slopes with my hubby. :D I'm now warmed up for Stowe next weekend! Yeah!

Lola

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

Yay, Lola! This is great, great news! I am SO happy for you!!!! Congratulations!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lola, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo happy!
I wasn't worried but I wanted to see a report on your progress. I think we're going to have so much fun at Stowe. Rain, snow or sun, its' gonna be a Buncha fun!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga