• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Reflections on the 2018/2019 season

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My season isn't over yet. I'm at day 79, and I'd like to tie last year's 89 days. It could happen; I'm working on it.

Some of the highlights:

• Had an amazing early season (SNOWVEMBER). On my first day -- November 15 -- there was powder over my boots on my very first run. I've never started a season like that before!

• Skied 11 mountains, five alone just last week in a mini Vermont ski safari. I plan to post about it in my blog on Tuesday, so watch for it!

• Was asked to speak at the Boston Ski & Snowboard Expo about confidence in skiing at their first ever women's skiing exhibit. My talk didn't take place for a variety of reasons, though I still had a great time meeting women skiers at the booth. And I posted a transcript on what would have been my talk on TheSkiDiva blog.

• Started contributing to Liftopia.com's blog.

• Had a blast at both Diva West at Aspen Snowmass and Diva East at Tremblant. If you haven't been to a Diva event, I highly recommend it. SO. MUCH. FUN. (Next year's Diva West will be at Jackson Hole the last week of January, and Diva East at Sunday River, the first week of March.) And yeah, even though American Airlines lost our luggage (including skis!) going to Aspen and took forever getting it back to us, it all turned out okay. I even got a new jacket out of it!

• Got a new pair of skis: Nordica Santa Ana 93's, which I love, love, love. A very fun ski. Also got new boots (Dalbello Chakras). This is my third pair of these in a row. Hey, they work for me, so why not.

Here's to an even better season next year.

Last edited:

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
My season isn't over yet either, but thus far I've logged 32 days (up from 23 last year). This is my second season skiing full time after switching from snowboarding.

My highlights:

- Took a bunch of lessons from 2 different instructors. One was really good; I learned a lot from him.
- Finally skied some black runs with confidence. The blue runs that were hard at the beginning of the season are now just a lot of fun.
- Learned to enjoy skiing off the groomers and started seeking out bumps.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My season has been a little disappointing...I skied quite a lot in November/December...then spent 6 weeks with pneumonia...had to help my mom with her house as she is preparing for a move and only got 1/2 day in at Steamboat in February...had granddaughter duty...so, I am maybe at 20 days for the season....

We are going up 2 more times before it all ends...

On the plus side...my skills continue to improve...lots of movements, etc, are coming together for me...Geesh, it only took 8 years, and I still have so much more to learn! My SO summed it up for me when I came down a black run and he commented "Isn't it nice to know you can now make it down just about anything?"

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is (it’s not over yet!)/was probably my best season since I met DH and started skiing again. I’ve got 15 days so far which is a record for me, and expect to get in at least 2 more, maybe more than that? We’ll see.

I got to three new mountains. We went to the dark side this year and switched to the Epic pass and I skied Vail and Beaver Creek for the first time and OMG I fell in love with both mountains. We also splurged on a 3-day pass to Steamboat, so I got to ski there for the first time. I’ve skied at a total of... seven mountains this year which blows any previous number I got in one season out of the water.

This year I probably spent as much time off piste as riding groomers, maybe I even tipped over the 50 percent mark? And I got better although I don’t know if I can articulate how. I have more confidence in a wider variety of terrain and got to spend more time at the edge of my comfort zone.

I think the thing that most stands out this year is how good conditions were. It’s always an open question for me what will give out first and end skiing for me - my body or winter? And my bet in recent years is that we’ll lose winter before my body gives out. So a season like this, where the snow was really good almost every single day we went up, feels like such a gift. It is what I will remember and appreciate most about this season.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My ski season isn't really over yet, but I'm starting to think about other activities and hobbies.:noidea:

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Our season is pretty much done unless there’s an amazing April storm.

I improved a lot this season, technique wise, ability wise, control wise. Just all around much better. I practiced so much, did so many drills, had many “aha” moments which I’m thrilled about bc I didn’t have that last year.

I am flying down soft bumps in control and feeling the fun. I am stoked for this. I’m not yet there with hard bumps but I’ll keep at it.

I may be teaching next season. I am not sure if I can take it, but I’ll try -

I did my first real hut trip. Apparently I was able to do “respectable” vertical for my first hut trip ski touring. I learned lots, got some practice in, and got some epic turns in. I love deep powder, cold smoke, turns. LOVE.

I could work on my hiking so I can do bigger days. I could be faster in transitions. I will likely need an avalanche review course for 2019-2020 season.

I’m seeing the gains I made in my skiing translate to my snowboarding. I’m far more comfortable on skis this season than my snowboard. First season that’s happened.

Overall feeling pretty great about the season. And looking forward to the next one!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
• Had a blast at both Diva West at Aspen Snowmass and Diva East at Tremblant. If you haven't been to a Diva event, I highly recommend it. SO. MUCH. FUN. (Next year's Diva West will be at Jackson Hole the last week of January, and Diva East at Sunday River, the first week of March.) And yeah, even though American Airlines lost our luggage (including skis!) going to Aspen and took forever getting it back to us, it all turned out okay. I even got a new jacket out of it!

J-Hole next year? I'm in!! I might bring my ladies ski crew from Utah with me!

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's still a slight chance we might go for a last-minute trip over the easter weekend, but other than that my season here in Europe is over. I got in 32 ski days, bringing me to a total of 55 days since I first got back on skis. It feels pretty surreal that that moment was only a year and a half ago, so much has happened since.

Last season was all about getting reacquainted with skiing and just trying to pick my way down all kinds of terrain (in/on the wrong gear). This season the key word was deliberate practice and focusing on technique and it has more than paid off. There's always someone in my group who skis with a gopro, so lots of footage. Looking back at last year's videos is almost painful at this point, so much survival skiing, lack of control, constant backseat, etc. Getting fitted boots has been a huge turning point, right from the start of the season I could feel the immediate improvement they provided. But I've also spent countless hours just focusing on staying forward, keeping a steady flow of movement, pole-planting and the likes and feel like it's definitely starting to show.

Skiing alone was another revelation. It's so nice to do exactly as you please, ski wherever and whenever you want to without ever feeling like you're holding someone up. But it also made me appreciate my partner even more, I missed having him around to share all the little moments of joy and the security of knowing there's someone there if things go wrong.

Managing fear has been another big one this year. By the end of the season, I skied a fair amount of semi-steep off piste runs by myself without feeling overwhelmed or in over my head. Skiing with better technique and control has done wonders for my confidence on and off the slopes. I still had a few panic moments during the season, but overall I'm super happy with how things have been.

Now I can't wait to ski in Australia! :bounce:

Am716

Certified Ski Diva
1. Finally got new boots that don’t hurt. Thank you Lange!!!

2. First year as a ski patroller and absolutely loved every second of it. Determined to become a senior, then certified.

3. Made my first trip out west to Snowbird and Alta. And fell 100% in love with skiing trees and bumps!!! I like pow skiing but the struggle was real. skied a double black at Snowbird and felt pretty accomplished. Also as my 3rd run out west, it was STH and the guys I went with didn’t think I would be skiing that at all. So :yahoo:

4. Got to work with two level 3 psia instructors and a long term, very successful race coach, who all kicked my technique and skiing to a new level.

5. Finished the patrol season with over 600 hours and nearly 100 days on hill (some of those days were just for 3ish hours but this gal has to work too)

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This year....
1. Skied down a double blue
2. Found out I LOVE powder and trees
3. Learned to have a healthy respect for the mountain but not full fledged fear.
4. Found boots that make my feet not hurt ;)
5. Hit 38 mph (up from 27 last year)

I didn’t ski as much as I wanted with all the snow... either roads were closed to Big Bear or we were doing wedding stuff with our BFF. Next year, I fully intend to make better use of my Icon pass (that is already bought and paid for).

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. Won a scholarship to take an all-female Avalanche 1 class, which I completed in February.
2. Started to do longer backcountry tours that I previously thought would be too difficult for me, and now I like them best
3. Skied Big Sky for the first time & really enjoyed it - hope to go back again next year! It’s a fairly short drive if the weather cooperates.
4. 50 days and counting so far, my season is not over yet.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did about 20 days, but it was a bit of a season in 2 parts. The start to the season was slow & disappointing - Whistler had a very dry November & December so unlike last year, didn't get in any early season days (I had more or less planned to go to the womens' camp around Dec 12/13 but terrain was limited & I had to clean my apt before my parents came for a month-long visit.) Had 5 days in mid-Jan when snow was good but I didn't really get my ski legs back then because my sister & I took turns chaperoning our 80-yo dad (who is *still* trying to learn to ski!) which meant lapping the Olympic learners area over at Whistler with him for a couple of hours a day.

Had the Worlds Worst Private (TM) and felt demoralized - the instructor rather accurately diagnosed that I had developed some very ingrained habits (from skiing defensively on terrain above my ability) that were keeping me on an intermediate plateau & suggested I just spend time skiing by myself on easy peasy terrain that would help me let go of the defensive posture & stay well-balanced through unrushed turns to unlearn bad habits & create new muscle memory. He also pointed out some postural issues that were keeping me stuck in that zone. Later on I figured out with my clinical pilates instructor that these all linked to a bad swayback posture that prevents the core from activating properly and controlling how I change edges (ie not in a smooth controlled fashion), but at the time I felt v. grumpy about it all.

Over Presidents Day w/e had a really good session at the North Face Women's camp (I was in Esta Evans' group) despite spending all our time in trees or on bumps - 2 things I strenuously avoid normally. Definitely improved my pole plant & finally got some tools/cueing to help me get out of the backseat and smooth my turns out (Esta pointed out I managed to have my hands forward but my body still back in steeper terrain & had me think shoulder-to-knee.)

The last 2 weeks of March I went up with my oldest sister's family for Spring Break and really enjoyed myself. I mostly skied by myself - it was already spring conditions and v. icy in the morning, so I would go up between 10;30 and 11am and ski right through lunchtime....I found I did as much vertical in 3 hours (no queues at lunch + singles lines = fast laps) as I normally do in a 6hr day. In the spirit of the advice of the private instructor, I stuck to the same dozen mid-mountain blues on Blackcomb that I always ski & felt like I got my mojo back. I still skid my turns like crazy instead of carving nicely, but I no longer cringe when I look back and see the shape of my turn. More importantly, I had a really nice time skiing my nephews for the last couple of days, and while I never joined them on the hard stuff, I was able to just about keep up on the groomers, which hadn't been possible in January.

Looking forward to NOT skiing at just Whistler next year. I'm not sure if I'll do a season pass again esp as I really should give the local mountains a try in Jan/Feb + I'll be going back to HK for Xmas, which would let me take a side trip to Japan very easily. And there's a plan to go to the Dolomites brewing in my family, which is a v.exciting idea to me

Jilly

Staff member
I love Esta. Skied with her years ago at a CSIA women's day at Georgian Peaks. Then met up with her at WB at Roxy in 2013. I was having major issues with my boots and had taken them off and threw them under the table. Esta was trying to place her legs and hit my boots....."who's boots?" "Mine leave them there!", "what's wrong?" "I'm calling Barry as soon as we get back to the condo!!" "You know Barry?"

Best boot fitter in WB!!

Yeah for Japan!! Powder time!!

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love Esta. Skied with her years ago at a CSIA women's day at Georgian Peaks. Then met up with her at WB at Roxy in 2013. I was having major issues with my boots and had taken them off and threw them under the table. Esta was trying to place her legs and hit my boots....."who's boots?" "Mine leave them there!", "what's wrong?" "I'm calling Barry as soon as we get back to the condo!!" "You know Barry?"

Best boot fitter in WB!!

Yeah for Japan!! Powder time!!

Esta was teaching the other upper level 4 group during the Feb camp, and I had the feeling she had the right tools to fix some of my issues, so I demoted myself to a mid-4 group this year to make sure I skied with her! (We ended up skiing harder stuff than the upper 4, funnily enough.)

Is Barry at Fanatyk? George McConkey did my boots 5 years ago... I have less than 100 days on them, which doesn't seem like a lot so I was thinking it would be a few more years before I need to replace them. But I think the liners are starting to pack out, so it's something I need to look into next season. Problem is that I'm a 22 at most, so my choices are kind of limited (and more so if I take Esta's suggestion of trying a 21/21.5 boot!)

Jilly

Staff member
Barry was at Whistler Village Sports. He's back in Gatineau now. He's a fitter not a salesman. So he'll tell what boot you need. If they have it great, if not go find it.

Esta may not be far off!!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did 23 days this year, which is pretty average for me though I had hoped to get a few more, but weather didn't cooperate for driving a few of the weekends I had wanted to go.
I had a pretty good season overall, can't complain.
Took 3 western trips: Steamboat, Deer Valley and Alta/Bird
Focused a lot more on skiing anything that was ungroomed. Some days I spent 90% of my time on ungroomed terrain and I improved a bit.
Got a couple powder days, which is good since I really need the practice in those conditions.

Now I'm already looking ahead to next season---have my Steamboat lodging already booked and will buy my Ikon pass over the next few days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna