• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Recommendations to build my quiver

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As I sit here impatiently awaiting the start of the ski season, I'm considering what I might like to add to my one ski quiver this year. I thought the Divas might have some suggestions on which direction to look/demo.

So here's the background....
I'm 5'2ish, 180 lbs, advanced intermediate skiing all blues confidently and groomed blacks ok, so far I am only skiing in the NE.
My experience with powder, bumps is limited...enough to know that I want to do this type of skiing, but I do stuggle a bit and need to spend time/take lessons working on this area.

My current ski is the Atomic Foxy Mama 150....dimensions are 123-74-107, r 10.5. I love this ski on the groomed hard/often icey trails here in the NE.
I have tried them in some heavy "powder", some soft filled in bumps, and through the chopped up crud at the end of the day....they didn't perform as well. Granted, some (or alot) of this could be my technique. I intend on taking more lessons this year focusing particularly on skiing these types of conditions.

Soooo, my thought is to maybe demo some fatter skis for use during those types of ski days. Maybe something in the 80's width...twin tips? It's just a thought.

I'm wondering were to start demoing. Being that I'm vertically challenged (short!) the ski shops recommend that I don't go above 150cm (which sits at nose level)....or maybe 155cm at the most....however I have the excess weight to contend with. So If I'm looking for a ski to utilize in soft stuff, crud, bumps...maybe trees, yet be servicable on the hard pack...what should I be looking at?
I feel like goldilocks here....not too stiff....not too soft....nor too long or too short! LOL

The choices are limitless....I have no idea where to start. The guys at the ski shops have been helpful...but they always steer me toward a womens specific ski. (Maybe due to ski length options? ) Which is ok, but I don't always think they are taking my "manly" weight into consideration. One twin tip that was recommended to me was K2 Missdemeanor.

Any thoughts?

BTW...I am in new boots which will be properly fitted w/ some kind of footbeds before the season begins. :becky:

I think a twin tip in the 80-85 range would suit you well. Twin tips that are softer can be skied a little longer so you could go up to a length in the mid 150s. However, I have never found a ski shop here in the Northeast that demos twin tips. I was told that a number of ski shops stopped because kid would take them to the park to demo and trash them. Hopefully you can find one where you can demo.

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good point, SNWL
Makes sense...I just never considered that. Of course they wouldn't want their demos destroyed.

FWIW, I'm not completely sold on twin tips...It is just an option since I've seen that they could be useful for where I would like to go. I'm certainly not going to doing any park stuff at my age! LOL
Switch does look kind of fun though!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While your weight would suggest a longer length (you'd think), your height means you'll have less than average leverage over a longer ski. This may be why the guys are recommending shorter skis. Also, depending on your body type, keep in mind that it's muscle mass that makes the weight-to-strength ratio effective for leverage. That said, we typically suggest going up at least 1 size when going from carvers to twins or fatties. At your current ability level, it's really important to demo so you can find the one that will let you "soar".

The right twin will probably be the most versatile ski you'll own. They tend to be softer then carvers so they usually slither through the bumps, they float in all but the deepest pow, they plow through crud and slop, and the turned-up tail makes it easy to backslide your way out of places you maybe shouldn't be in.

ps. skiing switch and doing butter moves is a BLAST!!!

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks VolklGirl...appreciate the input. Your response was exactly what my reasoning was for looking into TTs.

I just came back from one of the local ski shops...recon mission...lol.
Explained what I was looking for and why. Coincidentaly, the owner of the shop was steering me toward the Volkl Aura...in a 156. I'm really certain that I don't want to go longer than this...I demo'd the Fuegos in 161 and did feel that it was to long.
I'm aware of the rave reviews the Aura has received here at SkiDiva, however I also know that it's not the "it" ski for everyone. This particular shop does not stock that ski. In fact after looking around most of the shops are not stocking fatter womens skis. However, he would order it for me at a very competitive price. I'm hoping that I'll have the ability to demo this at some time this year. He was of the opinion that the 94?cm waist width would not be overkill for our area and the types of terrain I would like to go to, all the while being grippy enough for the harder conditions, and being a freight train through the crud/spring conditions. Just found it interesting that out of all the skis on the wall, he would recommend one he didn't even stock, and has been the topic of much discussion here.

The reviews of this ski tend to place it at an advanced/expert level. Is this a "demanding" ski in such a way that it only allows a girl to enjoy it if she brings only her "A" game? Or will it allow for some relaxing, cruisey skiing? FWIW my current boards are also listed as an advanced/expert ski and I have no problem whatsoever skiing them. I actually saw immediate improvement after stepping up from my more intermediate skis.

Also, as I contemplate this, I'm thinking that the wider waist will be a bonus *when* I get to make a trip out west.

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WOOHOO!! I'm a certified Diva now....:yahoo:
my family would argue that I'm certifiable!! :loco:

I'm certainly not going to doing any park stuff at my age! LOL Switch does look kind of fun though!

I just turned 49 and am learning how to ski switch and take some reasonable jumps. :D Not interested in rails, but love the pipe. With the right instruction and gear, freestyle skiing is for any age!

I demod the Auras in Big Sky last February, just on a whim and fell in love with them. I ski them here in Northeast too and they give me a lot of stability in crud and variable conditions. They are stiff for the bumps though (for me, an intermediate skier with very limited bump experience). I would think that an all mountain mid-80s twin tip would be great for you in about a 154-156 length. Happy shopping!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HUGE Aura lover here.

Overkill????? I love it on our 400' hills in the midwest. It'll do everything except ice (OK, it'll do that too, just not happily). And out west...........a dream!!!!

It's happiest on edge at breakneck speeds or in deep fuffy stuff, but that certainly doesn't mean it'll punish you for "sightseeing" on your way down. :D The Aura does on-snow spins even better than my true twin, the Karma. Swishy turns are a breeze and big honkin arcs are to die for! BUY THIS SKI!! :laugh::laugh:

FWIW: I ski a 168 for my groomer-zoomer and demoed the Fuego in a 161. I still went with the 177 for the Aura. A big jump, I know, but it skis really, really short. The 156 will probably be OK, but don't rule out that 163, either. :wink:

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SNWL...That's so awsome....learning freestyle!! I'm sure it's a great time. I *may* someday get the nerve to take some jumps (more than the small bumps around the lift posts) but right now I like my skis fairly close to the ground. LOL Of course each year that I ski, I find that I want to do more than I expected the previous year.

VG...thanks for the +1 on the Auras. Nice to hear they handle some ice as well...although if that's the flavor of the day I have my Foxy's. I will definately put it at the top of my list for demoing if I'm able....great advise about the sizing too...will see what I'm able to do. I'm really excited about taking the opportunity to demo this year.

Other skis I've browsed and would appreciate input/thoughts are:

Line Celebrity....have seen great reviews and a local shop does carry Line.

K2 Nancy...Tough Love...Missdemeanor (not as much waist as I might like...?too close to what I'm on now) Or how about PEs? Shortes length is 159...would that be stretching it?

Volkl Cosmo...how about the Aurora?

Rossi Scratch

Again...TT not a must....just seem to be a good tool for what I'm looking to do, and possibly throw in a little fun factor when I'm feeling ready.

Priority for this ski will be Fresh stuff, tracked up, crud piles, nimble for trees...ok in bumps...good edge hold for hardpack (short of ice). Anything else is just bonus.

You gals are great!! I love this place and have taken away the best ski related info I've gotten anywhere!!

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I currently own the K2 Missdemeanor. It's a very versital (sp?) ski in just about every condition except for bottomless powder. Pretty forgiving and quick in the bumps. Plows through crud, heavy spring pow and is good on groomers. I haven't really skied it on hard pack, so can't comment there, but overall, I'm a very happy camper on these.
K2 is not making the Nancy anymore, it has been replaced by the Missbehaved although I have seen some pretty low prices on the internet on last year's model. They made it 98 underfoot this year. That's a lot of ski, especially since you are on a 74 now. This could be a very good ski for powder and may even carve well, but you might hate it in the bumps. I have found that 90 underfoot is a really comfortable size for most of the powder conditions you see at a typical ski resort (just my opinion of course).
Haven't skied any of the others, but like VG said, the Auras are pretty popular on this site...:smile:

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowflake, when are you planning on buying? I am taking a trip next week and plan to run my Auras and my MissDemeanors through their paces. I'm VERY excited! If you haven't already bought a pair by next Friday, I'll be back on with reviews of both.

Also, here is a link to a post where Lori K compares the Aura to the PE. Pretty helpful, I think. The PE is a little wider and a little stiffer than the MD. https://theskidiva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6523

GL and happy shopping!:thumbsup:

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Valli and Acadia for the recs. I did end up the Line Celebrities found at a tent sale last fall. Great reviews....great price....couldn't resist. LOL I also could not at that time justify the price of the Auras for a second ski. Silly me. :laugh: They have served to purpose I intended them for perfectly, but I do in fact need a bit more time on them. I'm thinking I will be using them more frequently again for spring skiing, unless of course we get a much needed mother dump of snow here in the NE.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Sweet! I've had fun on the Celebrities up at Whiteface. You should be getting some snow up there tonight, right???

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga