• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

recommendation needed- midlayer without a hoody

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
I have a shell jacket. I usually wear a merino tank under a merino long sleeve layer and then 1-2 more layers on top. So many good recommendations here. I don’t know wheat to choose. ;)

Tvan

Angel Diva
I always wear an insulated jacket. I'll typically start with 2 layers of icebreaker long underwear (top and bottom), then an under armor fleece lined shirt, arcteyx fleece lined pants, one of my half-zip tops, my Ski Diva vest, jacket and snow pants. Followed by balaklava turtle fur under my helmet. I would add a mask, if we were skiing this year. Then glove liners and my insulated mittens. I hate being cold.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Could be either a shell or an insulated jacket. The shell works better in really warm weather, but putting a down layer under it for cold also works. Two insulated jackets are a recent addition to my collection.

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
My suggestions (Atom, Nano-air) would be under a shell in mild-cold weather but also under insulated on bitter days.
Will note this is the first year I have an insulated jacket for strictly in-bounds (Strafe Eden) and I've only used it on two warm days and I actually wore an old, holey cashmere sweater on the advice of someone else here. It was cozy and breathable, many thanks to the woman who suggested that!!
Will likely add a Rab alpha insulator on colder days and probably the Atom on cold snowy days, where having a somewhat weather resistant mid layer makes sense.

Now just need a dump (please more than just 2" of dust on crust) to test this all out!

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Black Diamond Coefficient jacket, without a hood. It's very light but has a waffley fabric that seems to keep heat in well but also breathes nicely. I find it very useful as I can easily layer it between my thermals and my puffy jacket/outer shell. Really like it for hiking for its temperature regulating properties (and lack of bulk/weight).

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Just wondering: are the layers everyone is suggesting here worn with or without an insulated jacket? I almost always wear an insulated jacket, so I think we need to make that clear.
As a New England skier, I too ALWAYS wear an insulated jacket. Down when very very cold, more water-resistant Nils 20000 insulated when warmer or wet.

ashkat0323

Certified Ski Diva
I wear an insulated jacket, so I go lighter on the under layers. On cold days, I am good with a sport’s bra and a base layer top. They aren’t synthetic, but my favorite base layer tops are the Smart Wool 250 Merino tops and the Ice Breaker 250 quarter zip tops. I don’t do hoods. It feels claustrophobic to me to have all that fabric near my neck.

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
FYI, I found the atom LT jacket on sale at Gilt.com and a rab grid fleece on sale from moosejaw. I've been wearing one of the the other and yesterday both under my northface shell. So far so good but I'd probably add another layer below zero.

snowburgh

Certified Ski Diva
i used Arteryx Atom AR (different than the LT). It is my insulation layer, and i have a technical shell on top of that. I like layers cause i can ditch the insulated layer, or just vent the shell and be comfy wherever. I chose the ATOM since the material seems a little more durable than other puffy. I had to return the mountain hardware - snagged before i even put it on . When it is super cold, i can throw a fleece under all that. the close to the body i get, i use only natural fibers as they are the warmest. Good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna