• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Reasons to consider narrower skis (<=80cm)

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've definitely had trouble getting off my edges on my SLs b/c they're tuned .5 and 3. Far less forgiving of my inadequacies than my Yumis at 1 and 2. This is the first year I've managed to pull a 180 on the SLs ever without catching the tail or other edge.

ETA: I do think it's funny I spent years worrying about getting on edge without ever asking myself if I could get my skis flat. lol

I was trying to do whirlybirds and definitely catching my edges. I can usually do 180 but turning back around from backwards was the trickiest part for me. I panic a bit going backwards, even on very flat terrain, and tended to panic right onto my edges. :rolleyes: I managed to do it nicely twice the day I kept trying on one part of a trail I was lapping. Haven’t worked much on it since, but do want to get back to it.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do think it’d be great to be more precise with de-edging, so will definitely keep working to get my skis flatter in pivot slips etc.! I don’t really have a choice on the edge angles using SkiMD since he tunes them all that way. It’s such a good tune though, that I’d rather learn to work with it. :smile:
He's just making you a stronger skier. :wink:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was trying to do whirlybirds and definitely catching my edges. I can usually do 180 but turning back around from backwards was the trickiest part for me. I panic a bit going backwards, even on very flat terrain, and tended to panic right onto my edges. :rolleyes: I managed to do it nicely twice the day I kept trying on one part of a trail I was lapping. Haven’t worked much on it since, but do want to get back to it.
Keep at it. It will kick in at some point. The 0.5 will simply make you work harder, but once you get the 360s happening, you won't regret having that edge there.

At 180º, transfer weight to the other foot firmly and deliberately. That is what helped me get the other half of the 360º to work. Nothing else was needed.

Stalling out at 190º can be pretty frustrating, but know that's the normal problem everyone encounters. Say "Left right left right left right" to get the weight transfer's tempo going. You'll get it.

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just dropped them off at SkiMD and he confirmed that I have burrs galore and need some side edge work.

I do think it’d be great to be more precise with de-edging, so will definitely keep working to get my skis flatter in pivot slips etc.! I don’t really have a choice on the edge angles using SkiMD since he tunes them all that way. It’s such a good tune though, that I’d rather learn to work with it. :smile:
Yep, I've taken my skis to him. His machine is set at 0.5. He won't change it.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Stalling out at 190 was pretty frustrating for a long time. You'll get it.
Hey, were you watching me the last time I tried?! Reminds me that I haven't made the attempt on my new skis yet, though I've 180'd a fair bit. Intentionally! Well, except for once while getting the hang of them. I did a lovely carved J-turn uphill into a very steep backwards falling-leaf in tucked parallel. Just laughed, got up, and skied to the lift. Oops.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I just ordered a pair of Blossom AM77 for skiing groomers and bumps. I won't have them in time for Taos, but I will be able to ski them at Winter Park the week of Feb 20. I'll let you know.
I got them in 164, the same length as my Kastle FXHP95 which are heavy and fast and fun, but they wear me out.
The Blossoms are fairly new to the US market, but they sound like something I will love based on others reviews. I'm not worried about resale if I don't like them.
I'll report back here.

PS. Plate bindings are suggested, but I want something a bit more pliant, so I'm putting some Look SPXs on them.
Oh I have heard great things about those skis. Were you able to demo? Please let us know how they work out for you!

coldthrill

Angel Diva
I just ordered a pair of Blossom AM77 for skiing groomers and bumps. I won't have them in time for Taos, but I will be able to ski them at Winter Park the week of Feb 20. I'll let you know.
I got them in 164, the same length as my Kastle FXHP95 which are heavy and fast and fun, but they wear me out.
The Blossoms are fairly new to the US market, but they sound like something I will love based on others reviews. I'm not worried about resale if I don't like them.
I'll report back here.

PS. Plate bindings are suggested, but I want something a bit more pliant, so I'm putting some Look SPXs on them.
Like @Peppermint, I'm curious to hear what your take is on the Blossom AM77 so far. Reviews on Ski Talk make me think they'd be right up my alley: excellent on piste, respectable through crud and powder, slightly forgiving but full of finesse. This was one of two suggestions for someone wanting something better in the trees/a bit more all mountain than the Laser AX. It surprised me. Other contenders of mine at the moment are the Nela 80, the Montero AX, the Laser SC and the Laser CX.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fischer skis don't get much attention but their 2019 My Curv ski, 68mm waist, was designed for groomed runs/piste. They're damp and stable, stiff but not at all plank-y. Mine came with a system binding, bonus. I haven't had any issues with it. Really fun ski, I'd recommend it.

Fischer moved into a unisex model line so I'm not sure which current year ski is the equivalent.

Last edited:

coldthrill

Angel Diva
Fischer skis don't get much attention but their 2019 My Curv ski, 68mm waist, was designed for groomed runs/piste. They're damp and stable, stiff but not at all plank-y. Mine came with a system binding, bonus. I haven't had any issues with it. Really fun ski, I'd recommend it.

Fischer moved into a unisex model line so I'm not sure which current year ski is the equivalent.
Thanks! It's great you like your Curvs so much. I've always heard good things about Fischer.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
@coldthrill
I absolutely love the Blossoms: they are exactly as you described along with very stable at speed. Good in crud. Didn't get a chance to take them in any powder. The bad thing for me is that, in the moguls they revealed my faulty technique, but I think any ski like this would do it. I bought them without demoing (because of the SkiTalk enthusiasm) and I am so glad I did. They are keepers. Good quality top sheet too.

coldthrill

Angel Diva
@coldthrill
I absolutely love the Blossoms: they are exactly as you described along with very stable at speed. Good in crud. Didn't get a chance to take them in any powder. The bad thing for me is that, in the moguls they revealed my faulty technique, but I think any ski like this would do it. I bought them without demoing (because of the SkiTalk enthusiasm) and I am so glad I did. They are keepers. Good quality top sheet too.
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on these skis! And congrats on getting them before demoing. I'm finding it tough to do that, but I also really want a new pair of skis!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga