• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Race tuning on the road for a newbie; any tips?

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This question is mainly for those divas who race:

I'll be doing some USSA Masters racing this season and am wondering what strategies, tips or tricks you might have for tuning and waxing your skis while on the road. I'll be traveling around Washington and Idaho in December and January for training as well as racing. Should I take all of my tuning gear with me too? I'm pretty sure that all of my tuning gear could easily fit in my car along with the skis I'd bring, but I've never waxed or tuned skis at the hill or while traveling before.

How do you handle this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
-T

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Speed is always more a technique and line thing than a tuning thing. that said, though:

First, do your inspection slips on your daily skis, not your race boards. Carry your race boards to the top and do a final overlay, brush, and polish on the hill.

As far as waxing, 2 days in a row on your hot wax should be fine, just add a temp-specific layer if needed each day (or go to an all-temp wax instead to make it alot easier). Unless you're in the top 5-10% of the grouping, wax really is a very, very, very small part of racing (unless, of course, you REALLY get it wrong). Always wax for colder than you think it will be.

Make sure, though that you check/polish your edges each and every run to keep them sharp and shiny.

As you get more experienced, you'll learn what your basic set-up is and can throw together a road kit really easily. Until then, you may want to take all your stuff, JIK.

Jilly

Staff member
DH had a set up with a 4" board, C clamps and his tuning vise. The board and clamps could be attached to a railing (like our deck at Tremblant), The vise was attached to the board.

Worked great for 8 years.....He had a bag with the wax, iron, files etc. Everything just hid in the corner when he wasn't using it.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, we don't have time to tune our own skis, I will send you a link to the page of the place we go on FB.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna