• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Quick Aura Help

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, we already determined earlier that I may not be up to the Aura level. But, would it be awful for me to buy them and eventually grow into them? I found brand new Auras with Marker Free bindings for $450!!!!! The only potential issue is that they are 156 and I'm not sure if that is too short. I am 5'1" and 115-120lbs . I currently ski the Luna in 149 and love that length. I'm thinking since I like to ski shorter I would be ok and then if I want to go longer later sell these.

What do you think? Should I just do it???

I have seen a HUGE improvement in my skiing this year and yesterday had one of those days where suddenly years of lessons made sense. It was my best ski day ever!!!

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just found out they are unmounted but come WITH the bindings so I could buy the set and put whatever bindings I want.

Ok, we already determined earlier that I may not be up to the Aura level. But, would it be awful for me to buy them and eventually grow into them? I found brand new Auras with Marker Free bindings for $450!!!!! The only potential issue is that they are 156 and I'm not sure if that is too short. I am 5'1" and 115-120lbs . I currently ski the Luna in 149 and love that length. I'm thinking since I like to ski shorter I would be ok and then if I want to go longer later sell these. What do you think? Should I just do it??? I have seen a HUGE improvement in my skiing this year and yesterday had one of those days where suddenly years of lessons made sense. It was my best ski day ever!!!

Aura in a 156 is a very good length for you. I skied the Attiva AC2 last season (which is now called the Luna) in a 156 and ski the Aura in 163 (I am 6" taller and 25-30 lbs. heavier than you). The Aura is surprisingly easy to maneuver even for us intermediates and that's a great price, so definately something for you to consider.

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so nervous about just buying them. I'm always a researcher especially when it comes to big ticket items. With the versatility of the Aura even with it's wider waist would I find that I don't use the Lunas much? Would there be too much overlap? Is it crazy that I hate the idea of cheating on my Lunas since they have done so much for my skiing?

I'm so nervous about just buying them. I'm always a researcher especially when it comes to big ticket items. With the versatility of the Aura even with it's wider waist would I find that I don't use the Lunas much? Would there be too much overlap? Is it crazy that I hate the idea of cheating on my Lunas since they have done so much for my skiing?

The Lunas are actually pretty versatile for all but deep powder conditions. They are a carving ski but are rated for on and off piste. I think they are the perfect intermediate ski. The Auras are much wider at 94 (I think the Luna is 73) and will provide more float and stability in deeper snow and varied terrain. I see you are from the PNW, which I understand gets a lot of snow, sometimes heavy. I think the Aura would be a fun ski, but why don't you demo it before you decide? Even at $450, it's a big investment if you're not sure.

The Aura is actually the only ski of my 3-ski quiver (that I LOVE) that I got to demo. I demod it just for fun assuming it would be too advanced for me and loved it right away. Now I just need to learn to ski the deeper stuff that I bought it for. :rolleyes:

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed to find the Luna and it was love at first turn. I would love to demo the Aura and had it on my "list" but I don't think I will see this price again for ski and binding. I'm thinking at this price if I don't like them I could sell them and get most of my money back. I think I am going to do it! I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like a plan, just don't put that binding on it unless you're sure it's the one you want. The skis flat at $450 is a great deal. I assume they are the '09 pink/black ones, right?

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like a plan, just don't put that binding on it unless you're sure it's the one you want. The skis flat at $450 is a great deal. I assume they are the '09 pink/black ones, right?

I THINK they are the 07' wood ones but I think WITH the binding $450 is still a great price. I'll know more tomorrow. If I don't want the Marker binding I can hopefully sell them and use the proceeds to buy the bindings that I want. Hopefully I can nearly break even on those. Now I think I may be talking myself out of them. :Hole:

Do you think there are better prices to be found on a "brand new" ski that is two years old? it does not seem as though Volkl has changed more than the topsheet. Sorry to be so annoying, I am so close and just need a push :help:

I THINK they are the 07' wood ones but I think WITH the binding $450 is still a great price. I'll know more tomorrow. If I don't want the Marker binding I can hopefully sell them and use the proceeds to buy the bindings that I want. Hopefully I can nearly break even on those. Now I think I may be talking myself out of them. :Hole:

Do you think there are better prices to be found on a "brand new" ski that is two years old? it does not seem as though Volkl has changed more than the topsheet. Sorry to be so annoying, I am so close and just need a push :help:

You are not annoying, don't worry! My understanding is that the '07, '08, and '09 Auras are identical except for topsheet/graphics. In fact, many Divas prefer the green/wooden looking ones (which are great and look very colorful on the snow) of all 3 years' of graphics. I think most places are selling the new Auras for $600, I bought mine on sale last February for $519, so even if you pay $450 for the skis alone, that is a great deal.

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I say GO FOR IT! I think that, while there is a lot written about the Aura as an advanced to expert ski, IMO, if you can ski blues with confidence, you will be happy on the Aura. While the Aura really responds to and rewards aggressive technique, it is also fairly forgiving and will help you take your skills up a notch. I wouldn't recommend the Aura to a beginner, but strong intermediates on up should be just fine on this ski and, as many a Diva has discovered, will quickly fall head over heels for the Aura!

The price you mentioned is a sweet deal on this ski, as it is very popular and, therefore, rarely available at a discount. My bootfitter at Mt. Alyeska last week said it is one of their most popular women's skis and they didn't even have a 163 in stock, which made me glad that I pulled the trigger on my Auras online before I got there! The 156 sounds like the right size for your height/weight, and you will likely be able to sell the ski if you don't fall in love like the rest of us! However, the only small drawback I would mention is that the 156 is probably the least popular size . . . though I still think you'd be able to find a fellow Diva to take them off your hands :smile:

Good luck with your decision! After spending 3 days on my Auras at Mt. Alyeska, I highly recommend this ski! I have started calling it the "game-changer" - it really takes your skills to the next level and inspires complete confidence in any and all conditions.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do it. I think that you will be able to grow into them, and you will be in love with them, very quickly. They will teach you things, I'm totally serious.

wildcat

Diva in Training
How are the Aura's in hard stuff? I have not demo'd them, but this sight seems pretty sweet on them, and I am a big Vokl fan. Love the Tiger Shark, looking to demo the Fuegos. Ski in New England where powder is a rare, and we are usually on hard stuff, crud, mash potatoes in the spring. I need something to do it all....

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback telling you the Auras are great on eastern hardpack. I wouldn't know, since I only skied them once, and then only briefly (though I'd more than welcome the opportunity to give them a much more thorough evaluation!:smile:).

However, If you have a chance, you might want to demo the Volkl Auroras. Not as wide as the Aura and a bit burlier, these are terrific in ice and crud, and can probably hold their own in the powder as well (such as we get in the east); they have an 85 mm waist. I demoed them last spring and thought they were da bomb!

How are the Aura's in hard stuff? I have not demo'd them, but this sight seems pretty sweet on them, and I am a big Vokl fan. Love the Tiger Shark, looking to demo the Fuegos. Ski in New England where powder is a rare, and we are usually on hard stuff, crud, mash potatoes in the spring. I need something to do it all....

The Auras are fine on hard stuff, but I don't typically ski them in the East, where my Fuegos shine even when there is some soft snow around. I think of my Auras as a 1-ski quiver for skiing in conditions more typical to Colorado, which include hardpack and windblown, but involve much more deep snow and crud skiing. For me, for East coast skiing, the Fuego is a more versatile 1-ski quiver.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Snap up those wood ones, you won't see them for sale often at almost any price! Like you said, you can always sell later. (WHich you won't want to do)

Yes, we here are enablers...

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do It! The 156 should be the right size for you. I'm 5'3" 120 lbs and I have the Auras in a 156. $450 is a great deal! From my experience looking for these skis, it is hard to find such a good deal on them.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Auras are fine on hard stuff, but I don't typically ski them in the East, where my Fuegos shine even when there is some soft snow around. I think of my Auras as a 1-ski quiver for skiing in conditions more typical to Colorado, which include hardpack and windblown, but involve much more deep snow and crud skiing. For me, for East coast skiing, the Fuego is a more versatile 1-ski quiver.

West coast= Aura is my one ski quiver. skied some ice today on them, did fine. Woo!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna