• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question on realistic distance training

skipink

Certified Ski Diva
I've been taking glucosamine and even though I was skeptical at first, it appears to be making a difference.

I really need to get a core/strength program going. The gym where I go doesn't do any classes and for some reason, I'm terrified of looking like a fool trying to use the weights or weight machines. :redface:

IMO, glucosamine does work. We used it a lot at the vets office where I used to work. I saw the effects it had on the dogs and started using it myself.

As for asking for help with the machines, never be embarassed to ask for help with something you don't know about! It's just something that you have not had the good fortune to learn yet. As I get older, I become less and less concerned about what people think of me and more concerned about what I can take away from the experience. Besides, the gym probably would rather you ask for help and learn the correct way than to do it wrong and get hurt.

skipink

Certified Ski Diva
Oops, after rereading that comes on way to stong. Sorry. :redface:

I guess I'm used to having to defend myself around the boys.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know, I know. I'm too old to be worried about that nonsense. Going to give it a go tonight. They have some weird policy at the gym where the people who work there are just staff: the so-called trainers are the only ones who can show you the equipment, and that's during specified blocks of time during which I cannot get there. :rolleyes: I've used machines before, but it's been at least 6 years. I'll figure it out. I'm a big girl. Time to put on the big girl panties and have at it!

And no worries! Did not come across as too strong at all!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sev, I just want to re-iterate not to worry too much about pace right now. Just add miles. It's hard, I know. I really have to watch myself and have started setting some limits on myself if I know I want something to be a slower, easier paced run I make myself pace higher. Everything I've read is that to run faster you really really just need to run more. And I'm finding it to be true. As I add more mileage maintaining a certain pace seems easier and easier.

You are doing a fantastic job juggling all that you have to do. Be proud of yourself!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've noticed that I'm naturally training at a higher pace than I did when I first started running (4.7-4.8 mph then, 5.1 mph now). It's not a huge difference, and I'm not intentionally trying to run faster, it just feels right. From what I recall, though, pace should not be a concern until I've been consistently running for a year or something like that.

Finally got out for an outside run on Saturday and did 2.66 miles on rolling hills. Then yesterday I did 3 miles on the treadmill! So I'm at 3-2-3 this week, 3-2-4 next week, then 2-2-2 the week of my 5K. Worked out perfectly completely by accident (I'm currently using Hal Higdon's 15K training guide and I'm on week 2, though I need to be better about getting cross training in). Can't wait for ski season so the cross training will be easier!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna