• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question on bindings

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was trying on boots the other day and the woman helping me asked what skis I had. I told her the Volkl Fuegos. She had never heard of them. I said they were old. ROFL Anyway, when she found out they were about 15 years old, she said that the shop wouldn't fit my new boots to the schools as the bindings were too old. :( Does this sound valid? Of course, they have the integrated bindings and not sure those can be swapped out? I LOVE those skis. I have other pairs but they are specific. If I want "my comfortable ski" I go back to the Fuego. Any ideas? Look for another shop? The woman was very helpful with boots and I am going back next week to try on some others she is ordering for me to try. I just do NOT want to give up my "security blanket" skis. :(

horsepowered

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, my experience is that ski shops refuse to touch any bindings older than 10 years, as the manufacturer's indemnification ends and their function/safety can no longer be guaranteed,

Hopefully your bindings can indeed be replaced so that you can keep using the skis you love.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What @horsepowered said is what our shops also say. It is a huge liability issue for them if they even touch older bindings.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The most you can hope for at this point if you really want to keep the skis without replacing the bindings is to find a shop who will do a binding release test for you if you sign off on risk factors. But shops like that are few and far between. And even then you are taking a risk that any plastic parts have not degraded, etc. The best options would be to either bring the skis in with you and ask if they can replace the bindings (and if the skis have enough useful life left in them to warrant doing so), or to start looking for your next security blanket. I'm currently trying to convince my neighbor who is still skiing 2006 Volkl Attiva 5 stars to do the same.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get that there is a life on bindings, was more wondering if the integrated bindings can be replaced with new ones? I don't mind upgrading the bindings, just don't want to get rid of the skis. :/

horsepowered

Certified Ski Diva
Take it to your local ski shop to confirm, but I would expect that they can replace your integrated bindings with new. However, do be aware that they'll likely going to have to drill new holes in your skis to mount the new ones. Plenty of people have bindings moved or replaced, so this is not something terribly unusual.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take it to your local ski shop to confirm, but I would expect that they can replace your integrated bindings with new. However, do be aware that they'll likely going to have to drill new holes in your skis to mount the new ones. Plenty of people have bindings moved or replaced, so this is not something terribly unusual.
Yeah, I know on regular skis it's not a big deal, just wasn't sure it could be done with the "system". :D

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What @horsepowered said is what our shops also say. It is a huge liability issue for them if they even touch older bindings.

I don't mind getting new bindings, just wasn't sure I could get new bindings with an integrated system?

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The most you can hope for at this point if you really want to keep the skis without replacing the bindings is to find a shop who will do a binding release test for you if you sign off on risk factors. But shops like that are few and far between. And even then you are taking a risk that any plastic parts have not degraded, etc. The best options would be to either bring the skis in with you and ask if they can replace the bindings (and if the skis have enough useful life left in them to warrant doing so), or to start looking for your next security blanket. I'm currently trying to convince my neighbor who is still skiing 2006 Volkl Attiva 5 stars to do the same.

I don't mind replacing them at all, as long as it can be done. :D

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was in a similar situation this year. I didn't even bother to ask if the shop would adjust to the new boots since my skis are around the same age as yours. I just left them adjusted to my old boots as a fail-safe in case my new boots were a disaster and I needed to switch back to the old ones. I just had them adjust a diff pair of skis to my new boots.
I'm under the impression that system skis can't just have new bindings put on. At least on mine the bindings are on specific rails that would need to be paired to a specific binding---which would likely be obsolete. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask your shop.
I can relate as I really love my old skis as well.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm, the pics I saw of the Fuego in an old Evo link doesn't look promising. I think most system bindings nowadays are simply screwed to the ski same as a non-system binding is. But these look like the rails are built into the ski, which means mounting a different binding would not be possible. Last ditch attempt, call a reputable ski shop and ask if they have the current indemnified binding list, and is the volkl motion 10 tc by any chance still on there (if that is the same binding as is on your ski, that is,)

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm, the pics I saw of the Fuego in an old Evo link doesn't look promising. I think most system bindings nowadays are simply screwed to the ski same as a non-system binding is. But these look like the rails are built into the ski, which means mounting a different binding would not be possible. Last ditch attempt, call a reputable ski shop and ask if they have the current indemnified binding list, and is the volkl motion 10 tc by any chance still on there (if that is the same binding as is on your ski, that is,)

Thank you!!!

Jilly

Staff member
The whole binding and rails would have be replaced. And then it might not act like it does now. That binding was used on that ski for reason. When you mount a flat ski there are 4 holes in the heel and 3-4 holes in the toe piece. The rails have even more. And some of the system bindings are integral to the ski, not just mounted on top.

It's time for new technology both in the ski and binding.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yup -- the photo above that @diymom posted is exactly how my Volkl Sols (same era) are --with the integrated rails set into the ski so would be really next to impossible to replace. Such a bummer--that particular line of Volkls---Luna, Sol, Tierra, Fuego were really terrific.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The whole binding and rails would have be replaced. And then it might not act like it does now. That binding was used on that ski for reason. When you mount a flat ski there are 4 holes in the heel and 3-4 holes in the toe piece. The rails have even more. And some of the system bindings are integral to the ski, not just mounted on top.

It's time for new technology both in the ski and binding.
Noooooo!! Rofl

Jilly

Staff member
Looking at the picture, you'll see that the rail is integrated into the ski. I don't think that, that can be replaced.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was trying on boots the other day and the woman helping me asked what skis I had. I told her the Volkl Fuegos. She had never heard of them. I said they were old. ROFL Anyway, when she found out they were about 15 years old, she said that the shop wouldn't fit my new boots to the schools as the bindings were too old. :( Does this sound valid? Of course, they have the integrated bindings and not sure those can be swapped out? I LOVE those skis. I have other pairs but they are specific. If I want "my comfortable ski" I go back to the Fuego. Any ideas? Look for another shop? The woman was very helpful with boots and I am going back next week to try on some others she is ordering for me to try. I just do NOT want to give up my "security blanket" skis. :(
Sad to say, your bindings are no longer indemnified.
And really, I don't want harsh your mellow, but it may be time to give up your security blanket and find a new faithful friend to keep you cozy.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sad to say, your bindings are no longer indemnified.
And really, I don't want harsh your mellow, but it may be time to give up your security blanket and find a new faithful friend to keep you cozy.
Uuuugh. I may have to. :( They were the first skis that made me realize I'm not a ###### skier. :(

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yup -- the photo above that @diymom posted is exactly how my Volkl Sols (same era) are --with the integrated rails set into the ski so would be really next to impossible to replace. Such a bummer--that particular line of Volkls---Luna, Sol, Tierra, Fuego were really terrific.
They were. I didn't see anything like them at the ski shop I went to. :( I know that doesn't mean others won't ski better or at least as well but it's the whole process of finding them. :/

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Uuuugh. I may have to. :( They were the first skis that made me realize I'm not a ###### skier. :(
Well, you can always keep them around to decorate your home and remind yourself you're not a #### skier

I'm sure you'll find something that speaks to you and may even enjoy a new toy more.
We can help with that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga