• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question for SLC Divas

Hey SLC/Utah Divas, is the first week of April a good time to ski the SLC resorts? 2 of my kids live in Cincinnati, and their '09 spring break does not line up with our '09 timeshare week at Smuggler's. If conditions are typically reliable for that time of year, I'm going to explore using my RCI points for a week in SLC. If I can pull that off, it would be economical as the kids' air tickets wouldn't be more than it would cost to fly east. We would fly to Cincinnati on Delta where the kids would board the second leg of the trip to SLC, another Delta hub.

If you think conditions are reliable enough to plan a trip like this well in advance of the season, what resort would you recommend that we take 2 teens, girl age 15 (novice to low intermediate skier) and boy age 13 (intermediate rider). Hubby and I tend to like more remote, quiet resorts, but the kids would probably enjoy doing some "in town" things like shopping, and maybe connecting with other teens at a resort for example by taking some teen group lessons.

Thanks! :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm definitely not a SLC/Utah diva, but I've made half a dozen trips to the region, ranging from early March to early April. We've had wonderful snow at the later time of year - heck, 18" at the 'bird on 4/1 one year :snow: I'm a big fan of Solitude and Brighton, as I too prefer the less traveled resorts. Your kids would love Brighton, lots of nice intermediate terrain (and expert across the parking lot!). I'm sure those in the region will have much more advice, but IMHO, you should be good to go!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This might be logistically harder with kids but don't fly them out of Cincinnati if you're flying Delta. Compare prices from Louisville, Ky, Indianapolis, Ind or Dayton, Oh.

Cincinnati is a Delta hub and costs more to fly from than the other cities. From Cincinnati these airports are easily accessible and 1 hr to 2 hrs interstate drive away.

Many Cincinnatians, including myself, drove to these other airports to save money. We often flew right back to Cincinnati. :laugh: but it was worth the drive for the money we saved.

If SLC doesn't work out the Summit County resorts often get dumped on in late March, early April. The crowds are gone and there are good deals on lodging, etc.

Thanks LL. I know all about Delta and the cost of flying in and out of Delta hubs, because my husband's children live in Cincinnati and fly unaccompanied to Hartford, CT to see us at great expense 8-9 times/yr. I can't really ask their mother to drive them to another airport (oh yes, and even though you work and have a baby, can you please drive several hours away so we can save $ taking your kids on a ski vacation?). Delta is the only option for us to go from Hartford to Salt Lake because the other airlines stop in Detroit, Denver, or another city, which would require the kids to fly 2 planes to get to Salt Lake and potentially set up a situation where they were stranded in a strange city because our plane didn't meet up with them. Wherever we travel, we need to fly to Cincinnati first and then pick them up on that flight and take them to the final destination with us, so Salt Lake seemed most reasonable and I think that there is a fair amount of RCI lodging available in Salt Lake. When you're parenting kids out of state, sometimes you pay a premium for air flights so their travel is safest! It's totally different from "normal" parenting, whatever that is!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I understand, it's paying for the convenience of the direct flight and the Delta terminal.

If you get a long enough layover buy some Graeter's ice cream. One of the kiosk's sells it. It's the best. There are unbelievable chunks of chocolate chips. Their ice cream is the only thing I miss about Cincinnati.

Do your children ski Perfect North Slopes in Lawrenceburg, Ind.?

abc

Banned
I'm not a SLC diva either but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express! :smile:

But seriously, I used to go to SLC a lot! And it's usually in April, 'cause I simply didn't have the money to ski during prime season! I've not had any problem with lack of snow that I can remember.

Though that was nearly 10 years ago. So the weather was a bit "cooler" than. I'll wait for the "locals" to give a more up-to-date report.

If you get a long enough layover buy some Graeter's ice cream. One of the kiosk's sells it. It's the best. There are unbelievable chunks of chocolate chips. Their ice cream is the only thing I miss about Cincinnati.?

I love the raspberry dark chocolate Graeter's. Where is it at the airport? I've looked and never could find it in Delta-land! And what, you don't miss Skyline chili (only kidding!).

:focus:

My stepkids started skiing and riding with us here in New England 2 seasons ago. Their mom and stepdad don't ski or ride, so they've never been to the ski area you mentioned. They only get a few days here at Christmastime, and our son comes in February for a few days, so we really count on this late Spring break to give them a big ski experience, and it's a great excuse for me to go to SLC for the first time!

Have a great holiday out there in the Rockies. I lived in Boulder in 1979 for a summer (now I'm dating myself) and skied Vail and Aspen a few times in the mid-80s (though it was more of a snowplow, stop, huff and puff, snowplow, fall, stop, huff and puff, etc.). I never could "parallel" those long straight skis!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's near gate 5 in concourse B. It's by the international wing, I think. We found it when we flew though Cincy coming back to Denver from Knoxville. I asked information and they told me where it was. They have it in pints and 1/2 pints. They also have cans of Skyline. I outgrew Skyline many years ago, too much of it when I was in college.

Some of the local schools have a ski program for the kids during the week. They bus the kids to PNS. I thought maybe your kids were involved in one of those. Also, scout troops go there as an outing.

It's a small but fun little area.

Thanks for the tip on the ice cream! If we have a long layover next time I'm at the airport, I'll have to check it out!

Our kids now live in Loveland. They used to live in Wyoming, but when their mom and new husband needed a bigger house to accomodate their growing family, they had to move to Loveland where it was more affordable. Our kids miss the Wyoming schools. They are both very bright, and the 8th grader is a super acheiver in school and used to be in the TAG program in elementary and then the equivalent program in middle school and she is very bored in the Loveland schools which is a shame.

Anyway, thanks for writing! Hope to meet you and ski with you one day! I think it's great that you moved to Rockies to ski when you retired -- very inspiring!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll give the first local's opinion I guess...

April is by far the best time of year to come out here. March and April are usually big snow months and coverage is as good as it's going to get. Days are a little longer and the temps are a little warmer. My favorite part of the season for sure.

In terms of resorts, I would say Solitude or Brighton (Big Cottonwood Canyon) would be best for lack of crowds and lots of beginner to intermediate terrain. Solitude is uncrowded almost to the point of being scary, but Brighton might be better if your kids really wanted to ski with other teenagers. I would recommend renting a car if you're staying in SLC and skiing the Cottonwoods. Otherwise, Park City might be a better idea - it's really easy to get around without a car. The other up-side of Park City is that there's way more on- and off-mountain apres ski activities very close to the resorts. The Cottonwood resorts are pretty isolated. I would not recommend actually staying at Solitude or Brighton, since I think your kids would be bored stiff after skiing.

Overall, if you are on a budget I would say find an affordable hotel in Sandy, rent a car, and ski Solitude and Brighton. If your budget is bigger, stay in Park City and ski the Canyons and Park City Mountain Resort (or Deer Valley if you're feeling ultra-swanky :p ).

Altagirl? Dloveski?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I've done condos in Midvale area (closest to BCC) and downtown hotels. The hotels in/around downtown have some very nice package deals. UTA bus to resorts is an option, but rental car is better and offers more options. Park City is pricey, not sure about late season deals, but you can usually do better in town, and the commons areas in the hotels have, in the past, lead to our meeting really nice folks, some with kids of the same age as ours, and bingo, worked great. Additionally, there's a ton to see and do in SLC, and we never lacked for things to see and do that would also entertain the younger generation. Just remember that you won't be able to see/do it all in one trip, but you'll definitely have a great time :smile: !

Thanks Divas. In order to swing the cost of the trip, I will need to find a week's condo with RCI to use with our accumulated points from our unused Smuggler's weeks. There are a number of condos in the SLC area, particularly in Park City, so my next step will be to reserach my top choices wtihin the RCI network, and then check with RCI to see what's available with the points that I have.

At first I was disappointed to find out that my kids' vacation didn't line up with our late March Smuggler's week, but I've never been to Utah and they've never been out West at all (to ski or ride or for any other reason) and now I'm getting pretty excited about it! Sounds like early April conditions should be really nice. Wish I could join you Divas at Solitude this March -- you're gonna have a great time!

:clap:

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah, I'm just not sure on the where to go with kids thing.

I'd agree that early April is probably the safest time to plan a trip for good conditions. It's typically either storming or sunny, and either one is good.

Park City is obviously better for nightlife and shopping and things to do other than ski. And they have good terrain parks, etc. if your kids are into that. You can stay anywhere in the Park City area and it's all pretty well served by their bus system, so you could go to any of the three resorts there without any hassle.

OK, Park City it is, with skiing and riding at The Canyons and/or Park City. My teenage stepdaughter checked out the options with me and she loves to browse and shop, so that will suit her fine. My stepson just wants to ride as much as he can and check out some terrain parks, so he'll be fine with those resorts. Thanks all! I found an RCI condo option that looks great, but it's still too far away to research availability and first I have to deposit my '09 Smuggler's week into the RCI bank....

No, 95% of the RCI condos are in Park City, and that's where the kids would like to be anyway. They are novice (by then intermediate?) skiers and riders anyway.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Park City is lower than the Cottonwood Canyons. Is there nothing in the SLC side?

By April, it doesn't really matter, since coverage is good everywhere by then. The only difference is that if it happens to snow while you're here, Park City tends to get a few less inches than the Cottonwoods. The snow and terrain is still really good over there. I personally think the trade-off will be well worth it for your family.

abc

Banned
I agree PC is a better base for off-slope activities. And it sounds like it's better with teenage kids.

I had the mis-fortune to be in Park City one year when it was very warm and the snow was quite slushy by mid-afternoon. I ended up driving back to the resorts in Cottonwood Canyon. Though that's not the end of the world either.

And, it was second week of April instead of the first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga