• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Purchasing new skis

Jilly

Staff member
I have a demo day Saturday. Atomic, Rossi, Salomon, Blizzard and Nordica....anything you want a review on?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Both @Kimmyt and I skied the Backland 102 but neither of us were all that impressed with them. They skied extremely short. The Backland 109 on the other hand. Love. Bought them within weeks.
Thanks... I'm pretty petite and think they come in a 154... I don't know, snow hot said they are extremely light and fun.... I tried to demo in Tahoe but no go. I did demo the Santa Ana in both 153 and 161 in 4 ft fresh rather dense snow. Currently ski Sambas (very fun) and Saffron 7's (jury is out)

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not petite, however, I skied the 172 and length wise it skied similar to my 163 Great Joy. YMMV.

kc.sydney

Certified Ski Diva
Hey @kc.sydney ! I'm a former Luna owner too. Had them in 142s many many years ago. :smile: Currently have the Yumis and a pair of Kastle LX72s in a 147 and 146 respectively. I'm 5'1" and 95 lbs. give or take. Do gymnastics and crossfit. Best thing honestly? Demo. As you can see from just this thread, our opinions are all over. Like me? HATED the Black Pearls. Some people here loved them. As others said though, your current skis are too short and probably more narrow than needed given that you're trying to get off the groomers more. Not sure about your Lunas, but I think mine were 72 at the waist? As far as length, that's probably going to be another preference thing. I tend to prefer my skis shorter than most here. I don't feel like I can really work most skis over 150 well, plus I like them shorter for trees and bumps.

Since you're in NYC... if you go up to Hunter or Windham, they both have demo centers! And if you do this, you must report back. :wink:

ETA: It's a couple hours from you, but I'm a big fan of my bootfitter Dieter (I'm a difficult fit). He owns Alpina Ski Shop right by Jack Frost in White Haven, PA.
Took your advice and paid a visit today to Alpina Ski Shop. Highly recommend this place! Very knowledgeable and friendly. Spent over 45 minutes with me trying on various boots. Finally bought a pair and will test them out in Alta next weekend. Met Dieter who recommended I wait a week or two for a customized fitting (my left calf is still significantly swollen following my fall in Taos). Very happy with the customer service I received and equally happy with my purchase. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Took your advice and paid a visit today to Alpina Ski Shop. Highly recommend this place! Very knowledgeable and friendly. Spent over 45 minutes with me trying on various boots. Finally bought a pair and will test them out in Alta next weekend. Met Dieter who recommended I wait a week or two for a customized fitting (my left calf is still significantly swollen following my fall in Taos). Very happy with the customer service I received and equally happy with my purchase. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Glad you had a good experience! They're good people. :smile: What did you end up getting? If you have any weird problems that you notice in the first couple weeks, he'll definitely work it out for you. We've punched and ground my boots a good deal to get them where they are now.

kc.sydney

Certified Ski Diva
Glad you had a good experience! They're good people. :smile: What did you end up getting? If you have any weird problems that you notice in the first couple weeks, he'll definitely work it out for you. We've punched and ground my boots a good deal to get them where they are now.
I ended up with the Roxa Jade 85's. Tried on a number of pairs and liked these straight away. Was a bit hesitant at first as had never even heard of the brand (Italian - until recently focus was mostly on AT books) and have never used boots with only three buckles before. They just felt right though :smile:. I really love the Intuition liner....

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Atomic Badlands W 102 if you can..

I demoed Atomic Backland 102 at Steamboat about a week ago. It was a good all mountain ski. It did well on groomers/frontside. I can't say whether they would be good in powder since we didn't have any new snow but I was having fun with it on the side of trails where there were soft piles. I think the carbon in it made it more stable/damp without it being heavy. It does ski short probably due to the substantial front rocker on these skis (at least more than my usual narrower all mountain skis). I'm 5'3" and my usually ski length is upper 150s but I demoed Backland in 164 and it was perfectly fine.

Last edited:

kc.sydney

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for all the informative replies! So many choices out there.... Planning a trip out to Alta early April and will take advantage of their demo day. Need to compile some sort of a short list now.

Took the advice of a number of Divas and decided to go with new boots this year instead of skis... Picked up a pair on Saturday and will try them out this weekend (4 day trip to Alta coming up!!).

Looks like the skis will have to wait (although my birthday IS coming up mid April so will see.....)

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
If they have the new Blizzard Alight 6.9 Ti, I'd love to hear about it in comparison to your Hero's.
that's the name of the ski I couldn't remember testing. I tested the Alight 8.0ca. GREAT carver but a little too soft for me, I liked the black pearls better. They also make the 8.0ti. I should have tried that one out. Didn't know there was a 6.9ti, that would be a good frontside carver if they are anything like the 8.0s

Whistler Cathy

Certified Ski Diva
I demo'd Atomic Cloud 11 and loved them. Good all around ski, no chatter!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga