• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

problems edging in spring snow HELP!

sway

Diva in Training
So i bought my new one luvs back in december and skiid on them in new mexico in december/janurary. They turned on a dime, were predictable, quick, super grippy, and the more agressively I skiied on them, the better they performed. I was in absolute love!

We're back in NM again for my 'spring break' holidays from work. First thing this morning, I click in, and something didn't feel right. I get off the lift, and actually told my husband ' something's not right with my skis'.

What they're doing: felt like my tips were all over the place- couldn't get either ski on edge. Dealt with it for one run. luckily didn't go down. Went to the rental shop hoping for help, they detuned the toe end a bit which helped. Two runs later, I'm still having an incredibly hard time edging and controlling where they go. Seems like the tails are getting stuck in the crud (but I've skiid for 25 years, and never felt this before). Back to the rental folks, and he takes a fine stone to the edges and re waxes. MUCH Better, but STILL not right. When I was on super hard pack and even ice, they felt right...as soon as I got back down on the lower part of the mountain, I'm fighting left and right to keep form....I only ski a few times a year, but i'm really upset by this day. I'm pretty sure it's the worst I've ever skiied. ANY suggestions as to what the problem could be, tihngs I can change, etc? ???

Thanks ya'll!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Disclaimer: I do not know the luv series of skis well enough to diagnose what is happening.

That said, it sounds like the conditions are very different, from winter harder pack to spring-like softie snow. So, perhaps the ski performs differently in the soft conditions, kind of edgy when you may need more sliding capabilities.

I would ask to demo a wider, softer ski and compare the rides between the one luv and the demo ski.

I do know that I have found that having a 'quiver' (word Divas have taught me) is a luxury, but makes the ride so much more fun when you pick the tool for the conditions.

Two days ago, after a foot or more of new snow, I skied on my all mountain softies, Head Sweet Fat Thangs. Today, a harder pack and variable day, I selected my Atomic Sugar Mamas and cruised around with more edge control and turny radias options.

So, it could be your form (responding to harder pack conditions) and/or your ski (edgy, not so soft) for the softer snow which requires adjustments in both. I don't know what the snow was like this last time, but maybe mashed potatoes? If so, then it's more like powder where sliding around without hard edges and softer skis make it a blast.

But, again, other Divas are WAY more gear-savy than I. I just pick a ski for the different conditions and go down. :noidea::noidea:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Without seeing you ski, or seeing the skis in question, it's really hard to tell what's happening. However, having issues in spring crud is pretty standard for many skiers. Any twisting of the skis in loose snow will cause the tails to hang up during the turn and can trip you up. In those conditions, it's really important to use the "tip-to-turn" technique with the shaped skis. The fact that your tips are also wandering suggests that you're using a more "twist-to-turn" motion and may be slightly in the back seat, as well. This technique is workable on hardpack, but its weaknesses really show through in more difficult snow conditions.

As far as your skis, check them over thoroughly for sharpness and burrs. If they're not really sharp they'll tend to skid out from underneath you, and burrs will cause your skis to "hang" while turning. It sounds like your rental guy may have taken the burrs down, but you really should double check them yourself. Fixing burrs is easy enough that you should do it every time you ski to keep your boards in tip-top shape.

Wa-Wa Cruiser

Diva in Training
Check the Running Surface?

Volklgirl is probably on target about technique -- but I had a similar experience several years ago with Spring skiing. Problem was pine pitch which had accumulated from a gladed area just below the lift. A quick wipe with some solvent and I had my old skis back!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So i bought my new one luvs back in december and skiid on them in new mexico in december/janurary. They turned on a dime, were predictable, quick, super grippy, and the more agressively I skiied on them, the better they performed. I was in absolute love!

We're back in NM again for my 'spring break' holidays from work. First thing this morning, I click in, and something didn't feel right. I get off the lift, and actually told my husband ' something's not right with my skis'.

What they're doing: felt like my tips were all over the place- couldn't get either ski on edge. Dealt with it for one run. luckily didn't go down. Went to the rental shop hoping for help, they detuned the toe end a bit which helped. Two runs later, I'm still having an incredibly hard time edging and controlling where they go. Seems like the tails are getting stuck in the crud (but I've skiid for 25 years, and never felt this before). Back to the rental folks, and he takes a fine stone to the edges and re waxes. MUCH Better, but STILL not right. When I was on super hard pack and even ice, they felt right...as soon as I got back down on the lower part of the mountain, I'm fighting left and right to keep form....I only ski a few times a year, but i'm really upset by this day. I'm pretty sure it's the worst I've ever skiied. ANY suggestions as to what the problem could be, tihngs I can change, etc? ???

Thanks ya'll!

I have OneLuvs too. First time I skiied with them was in SoCal in January - they were tricky, but I was also very much out of practice.

Then I skiied with them in Utah in February and they were amazing - but so was the snow and the conditions! Taking lessons didn't hurt either - but the difference in the response of the skis was incredible.

I skiied in SoCal Feb 28/Mar 1 for a women's ski clinic - the daytime temps were NEARLY 60. Ick. Skiied in Slurpee half the day. In the morning, everything was fine (temps in the 20s) but as the day went on, the snow became VERY slushy and edging became more and more difficult. My instructor told me it just takes considerably more power and effort to get through the slush, and the other student said that had always been her experience of spring skiing too.

I've only been skiing for a year, so I don't have much experience - but those OneLuvs were far fonder of Utah snow! Hopefully I can get up the mountain one more time to see if it happens again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga