• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

prescription ski googles

mquest

Diva in Training
Is it possible to buy prescription ski googles or is everything prescription inserts? I've been surfing the net and each site I see seems to be inserts but I can't be sure. Does anyone know of certain brands that have prescription googles and which brands are inserts? I've read where the inserts can come loose so to avoid this would be a plus.

I also see sites referring to "fans". Is this a gadget that attaches to the google to get rid of fog? The goggles don't fog up but the glasses underneath do. I bought goggles that were supposed to work well over glasses but that's not the case.

Any practical advice is appreciated. Since I already spent money on goggles that were supposed to work over glasses and don't, I don't want to keep doing this.

Thanks

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have goggles with inserts and like them very much.

I went this way because I love my Smith IO/S goggles and wanted to keep them, and the company I used (Sports Rx) made inserts that worked with them. The inserts are great; they're spring loaded so they stay securely in place. I've never had them come loose and can't even imagine how that's possible. And I haven't had any problem with fog, either. Sports Rx offers inserts for a wide range of goggles. Their customer service is good, and I had a great experience with them.

Yes, there are goggles with fans that fit over glasses. I don't have any experience with them, though Smith makes one that people seem to like. My intention was not to deal with glasses at all, so I didn't go this way. If you do a search here on the forum, you can find some posts about these or other fan goggles.

Hope this helps! And welcome to the forum!

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
Also, if you like having your glasses on, you could try an anti-fog coating or spray on them.

Jilly

Staff member
Have you asked about contacts? I only wear mine for sports because I can't see close up with them on.

mquest

Diva in Training
Wow!! Fast responses. Thank you both. I was on the sportsrx site (along with many others). I will definitely consider those inserts. The site seemed fairly easy to provide the script information and place the order.

I like the idea of the spray too. As you said, wear your glasses and you won't have to carry with you for when the goggles come off.

Btw I guess it's obvious I'm new to skiing. I tried skiing a bunch of times. But last season was the first time I really skied. Got my own gear and skied 13 days. Never thought I'd ever wish for winter. Anyway, thanks for the responses and I'm sure I'll be reading this forum quite often.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hello and welcome! :welcome:
Stick around.

Goggles can be, alas, so hit or miss : ( Especially OTG (“over the glasses”) models, as there are so many sizes and shapes of eyeglasses.

I know a lot of people who wear goggles over glasses and have found brands/models that work great. I don’t personally know anyone who has a fan model, though.

In fact, I had occasion to hunt for some OTG for myself late last fall, when an eye inflammation prevented contact lens wear. I had no idea if it would be a temporary or permanent situation. The model I found was from Giro; they weren’t wildly expensive (under $30), and they surprised me in working very nicely.

I eventually was able to resume wearing contact lenses and my regulation goggles (which wouldn’t accommodate my glasses) - but I’m glad that I now have this option. As you said, it’s nice to be able to see when the goggles come off : ) The goggles I have for OTG come up and over the glasses very smoothly as well, no tugging.

Scott makes a nice assortment of OTG models as well.
Few OTG models bash the $100 mark.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga