• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Prepping feet for ski season?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I feel like their articles make it seem like they are legit for bootfitting, which is why I was surprised to hear that the experience there isn’t all that one might expect from a full boot fitting described by people here.. that gives me pause. Especially because the other option in Vermont is definitely the real deal.

knolan12

Angel Diva
Take my review with a grain of salt @MissySki since I had never been to a bootfitter before so my notion of what a bootfitting experience would be like could really have been off-base. They did fix the issues I went in for and were super helpful, I think I just thought it would take longer/be more intense haha If you're on the fence and have the time after work, popping in to talk to them first could be a good way to suss out if they jive with what you're looking for.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Take my review with a grain of salt @MissySki since I had never been to a bootfitter before so my notion of what a bootfitting experience would be like could really have been off-base. They did fix the issues I went in for and were super helpful, I think I just thought it would take longer/be more intense haha If you're on the fence and have the time after work, popping in to talk to them first could be a good way to suss out if they jive with what you're looking for.

This is true, I may at least go by and chat. Let them take a stab at my feet and see what they come yo with and how they would proceed, especially in comparison to the VT guy I tried on similar stuff with last year.

knolan12

Angel Diva
This is true, I may at least go by and chat. Let them take a stab at my feet and see what they come yo with and how they would proceed, especially in comparison to the VT guy I tried on similar stuff with last year.

I'd be really curious what you think and how it compares!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just read an article about how Ski Monster started up on Powder mag. I also happened to pop my head in yesterday for a browse. Well, mostly to get base cleaner and curious about the Head Nexo Lyt boots. They have a good variety of brands in store, and unlike some other stores locally were ok with trying them on without a full boot fitting. He did measure my foot for length and width first, and my ankle circumference. I did say if there was anything he thought would fit better I was curious, but he didn’t suggest any other boots. But I get the feeling that if I hadn’t gone in asking about a particular boot I would have been trying on more. And I have to say, the Nexo Lyt felt good, but I prefer the liner style of the 2019 to this year’s. I’ll most likely be going back for some bindings soon.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I like a lot of input, so I guess if I go I’ll be sure to just act like I haven’t tried on anything yet even though I already have a couple in mind that I know they carry..

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, @lisamamot and I went into the Ski Monster to check things out today, and both ended up leaving with new hybrid AT boots!!! :yahoo: We both worked with Dylan, one of the owners, and had a great experience. Funny enough, we both tried on multiple different boots, but ended up picking the same ones in the end. I went in skeptical, but I ended up feeling really comfortable that there would be nothing gained from going up to Vermont for the same boots. I will also be bringing in my skis to be remounted with my AT frame bindings for free since I bought a boot there and they’ll cut skins for me, unexpected bonuses.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, @lisamamot and I went into the Ski Monster to check things out today, and both ended up leaving with new hybrid AT boots!!! :yahoo: We both worked with Dylan, one of the owners, and had a great experience. Funny enough, we both tried on multiple different boots, but ended up picking the same ones in the end. I went in skeptical, but I ended up feeling really comfortable that there would be nothing gained from going up to Vermont for the same boots. I will also be bringing in my skis to be remounted with my AT frame bindings for free since I bought a boot there and they’ll cut skins for me, unexpected bonuses.
Did you drop down a size or not? That was your big dilemma, wasn’t it?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Did you drop down a size or not? That was your big dilemma, wasn’t it?

I did not drop down like I do for downhill, I stayed at my measured size of 24.5. That was the recommendation of this fitter and had been for the one in Vermont as well for an AT application. The Atomics fit really well at this size though, versus some others I tried with looser areas. I’m actually not sure a 23.5 would fit me at all in this brand, if it did I think I’d need need extensive work because it’s a very close fit (but without pain points) as it is.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, we got there around 3:30. Why, were you in the area?
I took some skis in to get bindings mounted yesterday between about 1 and 2. The guys there were great, and actually mounted them right then so I wouldn’t have to drive back in and hunt for parking again in a few days. (The popovers next door are delicious btw if you ever have time to kill around there.) But when I dropped them off there had been a woman trying on boots that I hadn’t paid too much attention to, so I was wondering if it had been you and I was too oblivious to notice.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I took some skis in to get bindings mounted yesterday between about 1 and 2. The guys there were great, and actually mounted them right then so I wouldn’t have to drive back in and hunt for parking again in a few days. (The popovers next door are delicious btw if you ever have time to kill around there.) But when I dropped them off there had been a woman trying on boots that I hadn’t paid too much attention to, so I was wondering if it had been you and I was too oblivious to notice.

Darn, we could have all met up if we’d known! :beer: Great to know they might be able to mount while I wait when I bring in my skis for the AT bindings, I had assumed it would be two trips. Even though I’m close by, once would be way better!! Glad you had a good experience as well. I just told a coworker she should head over too because I know she’s looking for new boots.

newboots

Angel Diva
Just a brief interruption to address the thread topic. :becky:

I get numbness in my three smallest toes, and my bootfitter said it has to do with pressure on a certain spot (nerve) on the instep. He messed with the boots and it’s better.

knolan12

Angel Diva
Just a brief interruption to address the thread topic. :becky:

I get numbness in my three smallest toes, and my bootfitter said it has to do with pressure on a certain spot (nerve) on the instep. He messed with the boots and it’s better.

Ha! Welcome Do you know what he did to the boots? I was thinking about this this morning haha The doctor thinks my pain sounds like Morton's neuroma so we're working on strength and pain prevention. I was thinking there could be more to be done to my boots to alleviate pressure now that I have the language to describe my feet, but I'll probably wait to ski first and see how they feel before I make any more adjustments.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For bunions, I found this device. I haven't used it and apparently the thick rubber bands of the type you see on broccoli bunches might be used in a similar fashion.

That’s a Pilates toe corrector. One of a bunch of odd looking devices that Joseph Pilates designed for very specific uses. There is also a foot corrector, a neck stretcher, a ’breathacizer’ and a whole bunch of little items rarely seen except in well stocked classical Pilates studios. If you’re interested in Pilates for feet, this book addresses that: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1450740804/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_cdTUDb5SZ7KHT

This thread reminds me I should be doing more for my damaged feet! There are bunions and a Morton’s Neuroma and fat pads which of slipped on the bottom from where they should be to where they don’t do me any good! Ski boots can be a nightmare! I am very happy to know a good and patient boot fitter. @newboots - thank Mr. Blizzard again!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha! Welcome Do you know what he did to the boots? I was thinking about this this morning haha The doctor thinks my pain sounds like Morton's neuroma so we're working on strength and pain prevention. I was thinking there could be more to be done to my boots to alleviate pressure now that I have the language to describe my feet, but I'll probably wait to ski first and see how they feel before I make any more adjustments.

Best of luck dealing with the neuroma. They don’t take well to ski boots per my experience. My foot doctor says he sees the most problems with ski boots, bike shoes and high heels. It’s the clips on the bike pedals which push in on the side, apparently. With ski boots they get so cold that they do not make any allowance. My boots have a neuroma pad in them. It sort of lifts just behind the spot that will hurt. It’s definitely better than the flat orthotic would be. Every so often though I will have a day where I need to take the boot off even when I go in for a late morning break. Those are really annoying days! Because of course the cold boot doesn’t want to come off anyway! All that said, my feet have 65 years on them and a lot of it when I was quite overweight! Your mileage may differ!

knolan12

Angel Diva
Best of luck dealing with the neuroma. They don’t take well to ski boots per my experience. My foot doctor says he sees the most problems with ski boots, bike shoes and high heels. It’s the clips on the bike pedals which push in on the side, apparently. With ski boots they get so cold that they do not make any allowance. My boots have a neuroma pad in them. It sort of lifts just behind the spot that will hurt.

I didn't know pads where a thing! Just googled and there seems like there's a bunch. Is there a particular brand you have found to work well? And did you stick it right onto the liner?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna