• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Preparing for a MLK week ski trip to Colorado with 8 yo

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
I am taking my 8 yo DD on our first out-of-state ski trip to Colorado during the MLK week (1/13-20). Phew! We have been skiing in Tahoe area in the past few years and she is confident on all blue runs and some black ones. We got MCP passes and plan to visit Snowmass and Arapahoe. We will arrive in Denver and have booked a rental car for the week.

1. Are there any parent Divas interested in meeting up (in Denver or at either resort) to ski together? We'd be happy to meet you too if you come to Tahoe area someday!
2. Can someone recommend a place to rent skis for a week in Denver? I am think of REI.
3. Anything to be prepared for when skiing at those 2 places with our only Tahoe resort experiences?

Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
2. Can someone recommend a place to rent skis for a week in Denver? I am think of REI.
If you head to REI in Denver, there is (or was the last time I was there) an independent ski shop about a block away worth checking out. The area around the REI is a fun place to wander around with a tween if the weather is nice. Did that with my daughter when we were there tagging along when my husband had a professional conference. She and I weren't skiing any place out west except Alta at that point.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We got MCP passes and plan to visit Snowmass and Arapahoe.
How do you do adjusting to high altitude? The base of ABasin is around 10,500 ft. The last time I skied there I'd been in Colorado skiing for a week. Still felt the altitude when we spent a day at ABasin getting a tour from @RachelV .

When you are in Aspen, consider spending some time at Buttermilk. It's a really fun little mountain (in comparison to Snowmass) that is never crowded. There are long green and blue groomers. Also a lift that serves black trails that can have powder days after a storm because advanced skiers don't bother to ski Buttermilk.

Parking at Buttermilk is easy. Or if staying in slopeside lodging at Snowmass, can take the free bus over for a couple hours.

What's her favorite mountain in Tahoe?

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
What's her favorite mountain in Tahoe?
She skied at Heavenly, Palisades (Olympic Valley/Alpine Meadows), Homewood multiple times and her favorite mountain is Heavenly. It's interesting cause that was 4 years ago and when she first started skiing.

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
How do you do adjusting to high altitude?
Good question! We are taking Amtrak train to Denver and fly back. We arrive in Denver on the 13th and our first ski day it 15th. Would that be enough time, including the time on the train, to help us acclimate to the altitude gain?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Good question! We are taking Amtrak train to Denver and fly back. We arrive in Denver on the 13th and our first ski day it 15th. Would that be enough time, including the time on the train, to help us acclimate to the altitude gain?
Ooh, a train trip! I love riding on trains. Although haven't been on a long-distance passenger train in N. America yet. Only done that in Europe or China.

You will have an easier time adjusting compared to flying to Denver. Everyone reacts differently to high altitude, especially over 8000 or 9000 ft. It's not about fitness or age. Can even change for the same person over time.

Are you thinking of checking out ABasin first or on the way back to Denver?

marzNC

Angel Diva
She skied at Heavenly, Palisades (Olympic Valley/Alpine Meadows), Homewood multiple times and her favorite mountain is Heavenly. It's interesting cause that was 4 years ago and when she first started skiing.
My daughter will probably always consider Alta her favorite mountain in the west. She learned in the southeast at our "home mountain" that is a 4-hour drive from our house. I took her to Alta for a spring break trip when she was 7.

My first ski runs out west were at Alta when I was in middle school and had only skied a couple seasons. It was long ago on straight skis and I wasn't making parallel turns yet. But could enjoy the easier blue groomers. Alta remains my favorite big mountain even though I've had the chance to explore quite a few destination resorts in the last decade.

Since you have skied Heavenly and Palisades, the size of Snowmass won't be an issue. As it could be for someone who has only skied at small mountains in the midwest or southeast. The trail map for Snowmass can be confusing until you've skied a run in a given section. Some of the really long groomers appear as if they would be much shorter just looking at the trail map.

Snowmass has free mountain tours. Or perhaps you could meet up with @Mudgirl630 for an introduction to Snowmass. There is also a free Naturalist tour from the Wapiti Wildlife Center.

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
Are you thinking of checking out ABasin first or on the way back to Denver?
We are going to pass ABasin on the way and then drive back from Denver. It will be easier with a car to carry our belongings.

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
My daughter will probably always consider Alta her favorite mountain in the west. She learned in the southeast at our "home mountain" that is a 4-hour drive from our house. I took her to Alta for a spring break trip when she was 7.
I hope to take my daughter to Alta during her spring break end of March this year. I have only been to Alta for one day myself and I loved it! It's unique as a skier only resort.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We are going to pass ABasin on the way and then drive back from Denver. It will be easier with a car to carry our belongings.
ABasin is only a short detour off I-70, assuming it's not snowing heavily. Most people stop there on their way back to Denver at the end of a trip since they can either take a red-eye flight or stay overnight at an airport motel.

Since you have the MCP, can't hurt to give ABasin a try. It's a steep mountain but plenty of local kids learn to ski there.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowmass is a fabulous mountain. Many blues and some nice blacks. It is a large mountain and rarely crowded. It takes several days to

No reason to go to Buttermilk if you only have a few days.

There is an ice rink at the base of Snowmass. Limelight has great pizza.

I teach at Snowmass -feel free to PM for more info.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I am taking my 8 yo DD on our first out-of-state ski trip to Colorado during the MLK week (1/13-20). Phew! We have been skiing in Tahoe area in the past few years and she is confident on all blue runs and some black ones. We got MCP passes and plan to visit Snowmass and Arapahoe. We will arrive in Denver and have booked a rental car for the week.

1. Are there any parent Divas interested in meeting up (in Denver or at either resort) to ski together? We'd be happy to meet you too if you come to Tahoe area someday!
3. Anything to be prepared for when skiing at those 2 places with our only Tahoe resort experiences?

Thanks!
When you get in to Snowmass, rent what you need at Four Mountains. They are related to Aspen Snowmass and you can get whatever you need. They are right by the slopes in the Snowmass Village and have more than one locations.
You can find the ambassadors tours at Snowmass to give you a general tour of the mountian. It is a great way to get to know the mountain as Snowmass is the biggest mountain we have. You will have the best options there. Unless you have several days, do not bother to go to Buttermilk.
Do ask if you have any questions although I do not ski there much. Also, do download Aspen App. It will yell you everything you need to know, the mountain maps, the parking garages, the weather, and so much more.

Last edited:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
No. Denver is a lot lower.
Drink a lot of water.
How are you getting to Snowmass?

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I was writng but ran out of time.

I am assuming that you are driving.
One thing I need to mention is driving I-70 during any holidays and/or powder days can be horrific. Google I-70 or look for I-70things on Insta. They will give you some ideas. You need to think about the time of the day you want to drive to minimize the horror. Sorry, but I did not want you to be shocked and want you to be prepared.

Also, you need to make lift reservations with the MCP.

Last edited:

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
@Mudgirl630 @Skier31 @marzNC Thank you all so much for the valuable information.

@marzNC I misunderstood your initial question re ABasin, didn't realize that it is indeed Arapahoe Basin(lol) which we plan to go on our way back to Denver before flying home.

@Skier31 Thanks for mentioning ice rink and pizza place. Both are my daughter's favorites :smile: Might PM you when we arrive at Snowmass.

@Mudgirl630 Thanks for suggesting ambassadors tours at Snowmass and the Aspen APP. Both are exactly what I needed but it seems that the ambassador tour at Snowmass is for 11 and older only. As far as traffic, I will see how that compare to the traffic to Tahoe resorts. We plan to drive over Saturday(1/14) after lunch, hopefully the crowds would have been on the slopes when we are on the road. Lift reservations are for 1/15 and 1/16 and we might hit the holiday crowd at the lift lines, but well, hope one day I'll get so ski more on weekdays.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 @Skier31 @marzNC Thank you all so much for the valuable information.

@marzNC I misunderstood your initial question re ABasin, didn't realize that it is indeed Arapahoe Basin(lol) which we plan to go on our way back to Denver before flying home.

@Skier31 Thanks for mentioning ice rink and pizza place. Both are my daughter's favorites :smile: Might PM you when we arrive at Snowmass.

@Mudgirl630 Thanks for suggesting ambassadors tours at Snowmass and the Aspen APP. Both are exactly what I needed but it seems that the ambassador tour at Snowmass is for 11 and older only. As far as traffic, I will see how that compare to the traffic to Tahoe resorts. We plan to drive over Saturday(1/14) after lunch, hopefully the crowds would have been on the slopes when we are on the road. Lift reservations are for 1/15 and 1/16 and we might hit the holiday crowd at the lift lines, but well, hope one day I'll get so ski more on weekdays.
That is true about the age req. for the tours... Sorry about that.
Here is something you might also be interested in.

Screenshot_20230107_185055_Chrome.jpg

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have fun!!

try to make time to hit the hot springs in glenwood!

One of the benefits of Buttermilk is there’s lots of kid friendly things to do- big forts with snowball slingshots (at least a few years ago). My daughter loved meeting the avy dogs - you can usually knock on the ski patrol door at the top of buttermilk and go in and meet them. We even bought a tee shirt that supports them. Seeing the local kids going big in the terrain park is fun as is watching the planes take off and land at the airport.

Even when my daughter could ski Highlands Bowl we always had fun at Buttermilk- it just has a relaxed, fun vibe.

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you all so much for the wonderful suggestions. We had a great week in Colorado and definitely fell in love with this state. A quick recap and hope others would find it helpful in the future:

Snowmass

1. Snowmass is a beautiful mountain and a very well managed resort. Many staff around whenever wherever we had questions. Almost all chair lifts have lift/trail maps with all the planning information readily available. Despite on a holiday weekend, the lift lines were nowhere near what we experienced in Tahoe resorts on normal weekends. With the free and frequent shuttles, we didn't drive and didn't suffer from the traffic jams nor parking lot nightmares which are very common when we go to Tahoe resorts on weekends. The only crowded place reminded me of Tahoe resorts was the Elk Camp Restaurant during the lunch break.

2. Renting skis from Four Mountains may not be the cheapest(and their skis are pretty beaten up), but its convenient locations and overnight slope side storage saved our time and energy which is very valuable for me as the only adult traveling with a kid.

3. There are indeed several mountain tours open for kids! Only the First Tracks tour requires participants to be 11 and older. My daughter and I did the Ambassador Tour on day one. It was a great introduction of the mountain on a snowy day with poor visibility. On day two, we did the ACES Ski Tour with a naturalist who taught us several interesting facts(animal tracks in winter, the mammoth discovery site, trees and fires and animals, etc) about Snowmass beyond skiing.

4. We didn't have the time to explore Buttermilk nor Glenwood Springs this time, but Snowmass' coaster and tubing rides, the terrain park, several unmarked/hidden trails through trees as well as the s'more after a day of skiing were exciting experiences for my daughter. And believe it or not, riding gondolas and shuttles were fun activities for an 8 yo as well. In addition, Aspen, where we stayed, has a long time tradition called Wintersköl from Jan 13th - 15th. On the night of our arrival, we were pleasantly surprised by a torchlight decent, bonfire and fireworks a couple of blocks from our lodge.

5. The Aspen APP is very easy to use and the rewards came along makes eating at the resorts much more affordable. Have lunch at UP 4 Pizza was a good motivator.

6. I was greatly impressed by the number of uphillers we saw at Snowmass.

A-Basin

A-Basin is surely a unique place with the base sitting at the elevation of 10,780ft. It also has a restaurant at 12,000+ ft high (claimed to be the highest restaurant in north America). Maybe because we were there on our last day of the trip, we didn't feel much of the altitude effects.

As mentioned on A-Basin's website, its terrain has varied conditions - some part were hard/icy, some part were thin with exposed roots/rocks, but most runs are well packed with great snow condition(we mostly skied blue runs).

We especially love that several runs at A-Basin have a natural dip that requires us to plan ahead for speed build up when going down in order to get up on the hill ahead effortlessly. The tree runs in Zuma Bowl area were my daughter's favorite.

A-Basin has a Ski with a Ranger program, but it only goes over green runs and my daughter wasn't interested so we skipped it.

Last but not least

My daughter is not a hard-core skier...yet. There were moments when she can't stop complaining too cold or too hot, either her hair bothers her or her goggles bothers her. One the first day at Snowmass, she refused to ski any more after the lunch break. But the other 2 days we skied this trip, we logged at 14,000+ vt. ft. and she was having fun. We are both looking forward to the next ski trip.

BTW, due to a winter storm in the forecast on our planed day one at A-Basin, we went to Keystone Nordic Center for XC skiing instead. I think it was a better option during a stormy day (others told us there was a white-out condition on the mountain and very windy that day). The Keystone resort also seems to be a very family friendly destination. We were told that there are forts on the top of the mountain but we ran out of time despite free kids lift tickets offered by our hotel.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I am glad to read that you two had a fun holiday.
We(Aspen Snowmass) are well known for uncrowded and very organized mountains unlike most of the other large mountains in north America.

I was not aware that you were staying in Aspen. I could have mentioned about Winterskol if I did. I live in downtown Asoen for the ski seasons, 5 min from the gondola plaza.

Come back soon to explore the rest of the resort. Your daughter would love Buttermilk for sure.

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
I was not aware that you were staying in Aspen. I could have mentioned about Winterskol if I did. I live in downtown Asoen for the ski seasons, 5 min from the gondola plaza.
Oh you live in such a nice town!
Come back soon to explore the rest of the resort. Your daughter would love Buttermilk for sure.
We would sure love to go again and explore other Aspen mountains. Already thinking about the next MLK week haha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna