• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Post ACL surgery question

TxannnY

Diva in Training
Hi! This is actually my first post on this site. I was originally hoping to ask for tips on buying skis, but I tore my ACL in January skiing in Vermont. I had surgery in March. I’m about 5 weeks post surgery now. My doctor assured me I’ll be skiing again by December 2024/January 2025. My PT has given me the green light to push myself a little more in my workouts and showed me what I could do. Figured it was also worth asking if anyone here has gone through the same thing and have any advice on best workouts to get back in ski shape?

For reference, I’m 28 years old, 5’7”, 140 lbs. I only recently got into skiing about 4-5 years ago, but have been going steadily every season for about 3 years now. I live in the Northeast so I go around 20+ days each season. I consider myself an advanced skier, able to confidently go down black diamonds and moguls. It’s a sport I did not grow up doing, but have fallen in love with it. I can’t wait to get back out there. I actually tore my ACL while taking a lesson on learning how to free jump smh.

I am off crutches, but still in the giant thigh to leg brace. I usually change into a basic CVS knee brace during PT, so I figured I could do that at the gym? I’m bending my knee pretty far right now, but still working on muscle strength.

I appreciate any advice, it’s nice to have this place to ask for some help. Thank you!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! Welcome! I would actually go back to your PT and more specifically tell them your goals, etc., and ask what they (and your surgeon's protocol) think is appropriate for you. Depending on the graft you have for the reconstruction, you may feel better much sooner than when the graft has actually healed/adhered (not sure what the right word is). But, there is a period of time post-surgery that is particularly precarious and where most graft failures occur, if they do occur.

Generally, you want to rebuild your balance and strength in the surgical knee, so there is ultimately a lot of single-leg exercises. A lot of people here who have gone through an ACL reconstruction, so maybe start by searching the site if you haven't. :smile: Best wishes!

If it is helpful at all, I was 28 when I had my ACL reconstructed. I did take about a year and a half off from skiing. It's now more than 20 years, and I (my skiing and my leg) am doing very well.

Verve

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed that your PT should be a great resource for this. My PT was actually in a gym and once I was cleared for certain exercises she’d show me on the equipment and monitored my form for the first few rounds.

One thing you can start earlier is the stationary bike and following that the erg/rower. Both are closed chain exercises so low risk. Check with your PT but if you’re feeling starved for cardio, those were the first options I had. No need to rush anything - you’re really far along for only tearing it in Jan!

You’re part of a big club now!

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to the post side of surgery. You doctor is right, skiing post ACL surgery is about 9 months. My guy went through this and the best advice he was given by multiple people was do the PT until the very end. Don't quit even if you think you are feeling better. I agree wtih talking with your PT person about your goals. They will give you safe exercists to do at home or at the gym so that you can stay/get in shape but not agitate your knee. The summer after my guys's surgery he couldn't hike or do any walking with big hills. His first season back which was 9 months post op he was allowed to ski groomed greens and blues. No blacks, no ungroomed, no mashed potato snow, etc. That was what he did for the first season back. This is is 2nd year post surgery and he's clear to ski whatever he wants.

As far as working out my guy did a lot of flat walks, no incline. He also couldn't play much disc golf using the traditional frisbee type throw as this involved knee twisting. That summer we played lots of disc golf (he threw underhand) on flatish terrain and did lots of flatter walks.

Good luck, you are on the awesome road to recovery now.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
the best advice he was given by multiple people was do the PT until the very end. Don't quit even if you think you are feeling better.
110% agree with this !
I didnt do my ACL but did a lot of other damage to my knees and made my PT aware of my goals and she in turn came up with a rehab programme for me .. heads up, it can get pretty boring but you must stick with it.
I was skiing 9 months later but in all honesty I probably should not have done but hey I did and I had a ball.
I started doing hill walks again a few months ago and I put it all down to sticking with the rehab programme :clap:
One piece of info my PT gave me is that it would take 2 yrs (yes 2yrs!!) to come right and she was pretty much on the money, I still get the odd tweak and wobble 18 months out but they are getting more and more infrequent and I plan on having a fantastic ski season when it starts in late June :thumbsup:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
ACL hamstring reconstruction here,
Do your PT.
Do your PT
Follow PT instructions
Do your PT.

110% of people I knew who blew off parts of it or quit early have recurring issues and will never heal 100%.
Make sure your PT is "return to sport" and not "return to cubicle" oriented. Some facilities deal mainly with sedentary folk; some specialize in athletes. Don't assume.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ACL hamstring reconstruction here,
Do your PT.
Do your PT
Follow PT instructions
Do your PT.

110% of people I knew who blew off parts of it or quit early have recurring issues and will never heal 100%.
Make sure your PT is "return to sport" and not "return to cubicle" oriented. Some facilities deal mainly with sedentary folk; some specialize in athletes. Don't assume.

Truth. Finish your PT was what EVERYONE said. We knew too many people who didn't and had nothing but problems.

Michael's doctor specialized in sports ortho injuries and his PT was returned to sport based having many athletes as patients.

Reactions: AJM

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna