• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pole Question

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, a couple of weeks ago, I was taking a lesson, and asked the instructor what to do....

My poles tend to drag behind me, and so I asked the question, since, y'know, I had an expert handy, right? He said hold them tighter, particularly with my pinky fingers.

Can't do it! Dunno if it's my pinky fingers, or maybe my poles are too big around for me to hold properly? (They're Rossi ski school poles -- aluminum with ugly hand grips that have a spot for each finger)

So, do they make different size/shape grips that might work better for me?

I decided to ask here, since DH wouldn't stop at any of the ski shops at the bottom of the hill on the way home today so I could inquire there! (you'd think we had to be somewhere!)

Kano

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't say I've really put much thought into my poles before -- other than finding ones I like (usually graphics) that are in my size. But, I do know that the grip on my old poles was less volume than my newer poles, so maybe you need a pole with a smaller grip?

mollmeister

Angel Diva
A tighter grip? That seems odd. I have always been told a very soft grip, for an easy flick forward to pole plant. I know people who get arm and shoulder pain from holding too tight.

I would think dragging poles would have more to do with arm position and posture than with grip, honestly.

Probably the single best bit of coaching I have ever received from an instructor was simply to always keep your hands where you can see them, at least from the corner of your eye. Then your hands are far enough forward and your arms are likely in an athletic position, not dropping back, which can mess up your entire form.

All that said, I love the grips on my Leki poles. Nice and small for my small hands!
:D

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure who suggested this in an older thread, but someone said that they buy junior poles because the grips are smaller.

Jilly

Staff member
As an instructor I'm asking myself - dragging poles. 1. Are the hands/arms in the right position, can you see your hands when you ski? 2. Are your poles too long?? Without video I can't tell.
Hands should be in front at the bottom of your vision. Like you are on a bike or using a wheelbarrow. If that's not it. Then length.
Shops tend to sell poles too long with the shaped skis. Take your poles and turn them upside down. Grab the pole just below the basket. If your bent arm is at a right angle (90 deg) then the poles are the right length or just a tad long. This is best done in your boots, but even without the boots you can tell if the pole is too long. I'm 5'5 and use 115 cm poles. But I'm short in the arse.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Junior poles -- good thinking! And I'll look at the Leki ones too! Alta_gal, what kind were your old poles?

My hand/arm position must have been okay, or I'm pretty sure he would have suggested that. That man could tell at a glance when we were curling our toes even!

I don't think he was suggesting a TIGHT grip on the poles, just that I wasn't getting enough hold of them -- and he mentioned pinky finger in particular. When I worked HARD at holding tightly with that finger, it did make a difference. I just can't maintain it, no matter what. Must be that the poles can "droop" without the right hold?

Kano

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Junior poles -- good thinking! And I'll look at the Leki ones too! Alta_gal, what kind were your old poles?

Kano, both my old poles and my new poles are K2 .... the old ones were the Public Enemy poles and were more "park" specific. My newer ones are the K2 Breast Cancer ones -- and I honestly don't even know what "model" they are .... I just liked the design.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If that's not it. Then length.

Y'know, I mentioned this to DH lately! I use 115cm poles too, and they're fine on groomed runs, but get into some crud, or powder, and, well, I had a kinda tacky description of the kind of retractable poles I wished was available!

Kano

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
I bought nice new poles early this season & ended up selling them I hated them so much. The grips were all wrong...and perhaps just not what I was used to.

The correct pole length is found by turning the pole upside down & gripping it just below the basket. Your elbow should be 90 degrees or less.

Take your gloves with you to buy poles too. Then you'll know how the grip feels in your glove, the straps, etc. etc.

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
the best advice I had from an instructor was to keep my hands in the same position as if I were holding a lunch tray with hot soup....when I was a real beginner, remembering to keep them in front of me with that visual image was a real plus

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, do they make different size/shape grips that might work better for me?

I decided to ask here, since DH wouldn't stop at any of the ski shops at the bottom of the hill on the way home today so I could inquire there! (you'd think we had to be somewhere!)

Kano

Kano, there are different shaped grips, different sizes & women specific. If you want to get real fancy , K2 makes some women specific poles with smaller grips, leather wrapped & some "bling" added with jewels inset on top. I really like your "retractable" pole idea. It could be done. Kinda like a button on an umbrella, but just shortens it up a notch or pops it back out. Don't say it,...

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd probably feel the need to worry about pretty poles like the K2's, or the "easter egg dye" ones I saw lately. That's the best thing about my nasty old Rossi poles! NO one wants them, and EVERYONE has them (the school uses Rossi stuff)

Looking at DH's poles the other day, he's got smooth grips, and they're smaller than mine, with the knobs for between each finger. His do feel better in my hands -- not that I can try skiing with them, since they're longer than a giraffe's neck!

I wouldn't have thought about gloves, Skigirl! Good point!

Kano

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga