• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Plane travel with skis

teppaz

Angel Diva
I've done several weeklong trips with 1 pair of skis, poles and clothes in a wheeled ski bag + helmet, goggles, mittens and laptop in my boot bag (from Line Skis — amazing support).

So that's one checked bag and one carry-on. It's totally doable as long as you pack carefully!

newboots

Angel Diva
While I appreciate my continued notoriety for being a light packer -- and I am still a pretty light packer! -- I feel obligated to mention
HAHthat I am not sure I can ever attain the heights I did while packing for ski trips as a 20-something living in NYC. So, you know, maybe take those threads with the appropriate grain of salt if they're from ~2011 or earlier. :smile:

Hah! 2008!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've done several weeklong trips with 1 pair of skis, poles and clothes in a wheeled ski bag + helmet, goggles, mittens and laptop in my boot bag (from Line Skis — amazing support).

So that's one checked bag and one carry-on. It's totally doable as long as you pack carefully!
Do you remember my bags vs yours when we were driving to Taos from the airport?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good call on the sport tube. It is also helpful that it has wheels. Mine is black but it has an Okemo and Vermont stickers on it so that helps a little bit. I used to use a padded bag from High Sierra. And stuffed absolutely everything in it around the skis and poles but it was a major pain dragging it from the airport to the car rental station at Salt Lake City. With a boot bag and a suitcase as well!

newboots

Angel Diva
The small bag is my computer- not shown is my boot bag- I always carry that on w/computer bag- I need to learn to pack like @marzNC she's an awesome minimalist in packing- I always take too many shirts!! and it is heavy to haul w/ boot bag on my back and pulling the suitcase/computer bag and skis..

Sticker queen!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The small bag is my computer- not shown is my boot bag- I always carry that on w/computer bag- I need to learn to pack like @marzNC she's an awesome minimalist in packing- I always take too many shirts!! and it is heavy to haul w/ boot bag on my back and pulling the suitcase/computer bag and skis..
I'm worse than @nopoleskier . If I could only pack like @marzNC .....

newboots

Angel Diva

My boot bag is definitely not up to this. If I stuff it, it will hold gloves, socks, skullcap, and gaiter along with boots, helmet, and goggles. But no ski pants or much clothing at all, unless I really stuff them in there. I've been unhappy with how little it will carry since I got it. I didn't know anything about what's needed in a boot bag when I was buying.

marzNC

Angel Diva
One of the bonuses for having a Sportube is being able to have a good place to collect stickers. :smile:

The bungee cord to connect the rolling boot suitcase means I can move everything at the same time.

Rolling plus blue w Sportube2 Sidekick - 1.jpg

newboots

Angel Diva
Good call on the sport tube. It is also helpful that it has wheels. Mine is black but it has an Okemo and Vermont stickers on it so that helps a little bit. I used to use a padded bag from High Sierra. And stuffed absolutely everything in it around the skis and poles but it was a major pain dragging it from the airport to the car rental station at Salt Lake City. With a boot bag and a suitcase as well!

Yes, I think that pulling that thing along with its wheels will be fairly tolerable. It's pretty tight after you get the skis in it, so I'll have other luggage as well. I'm going to try a "just the necessities" packing plan . . . ! That'll be a first!

marzNC

Angel Diva
That Transpack boot/helmet bag looks really handy. I just threw my boots in the overhead locker loose as I don't have a bag for them.
Before I got the rolling boot suitcase, I would take out the boots from the Transpack Sidekick and put them up in the overhead. But it was heavy to carry when the walk between gates on layovers was long. Or when the arrival gate was a long way from Baggage Claim.

I thought about rolling boot bags, but I like having the Transpack as a regular pack that fits under the seat during the flight.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I'm eyeing/coveting the Dakine 50L boot bag and matching soft sided ski bag and reading this thread is making me want it even more. Can I blame all of you if I impulse buy it?

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm eyeing/coveting the Dakine 50L boot bag and matching soft sided ski bag and reading this thread is making me want it even more. Can I blame all of you if I impulse buy it?

This is the SkiDiva Home of Enabling.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How fun! I’ve always wanted to go to Breckinridge. I am a bit late to the party but I’ve travelled on several flights with an inexpensive Element Equipment deluxe padded ski bag (single). No wheels... it’s just a basic bag with padding to protect against the rigors of airport baggage handling.
B5AB546D-4910-46B3-9A52-A6944CD2E3DA.jpeg

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’ve been to Breckinridge a couple times. Fun area. Drink lots of water as high elevation. What made you pick Breck?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sticker queen!

when you see how many sport tubes come off the plane you'll be stickering up. do put a tie from the locking pin to the handle- @marzNC tip- Yes I've had the pin left out in transit! Your orange one will be welcomed- don't see too many of them

HAVE FUN At BRECK!! You'll love it. LOTS Of huge groomers and not too steep unless you want to go to the tippy top or into some steep side glades. Town is fun too!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a snowboard bag (Dakine low roller) with wheels - skis, poles and other miscellany (insulator jacket, choices of base and mid layers, spare pants, casual clothes, etc) in there. Boot bag comes with me - with boots, helmet, mittens and mid layers packed. Ski jacket + base layers worn on the plane. That way if the bag disappears I rent skis for a couple of days, no drama, and I have everything else.

I once packed for a week of skiing at Val Thorens + a couple days in Geneva in a carry on backpack (hiring boots, skis and poles, and skiing without a helmet) when I was a 20something in the UK...without laundry facilities! No idea how I did that now.

marzNC

Angel Diva
when you see how many sport tubes come off the plane you'll be stickering up. do put a tie from the locking pin to the handle- @marzNC tip- Yes I've had the pin left out in transit! Your orange one will be welcomed- don't see too many of them
I've never had the pin get lost, but lost the pull strap early on when I forgot to take it off when I checked my bags. When I was buying a replacement, I went ahead and bought an extra pin. Carry that in the rolling boot bag.

newboots

Angel Diva
I’ve been to Breckinridge a couple times. Fun area. Drink lots of water as high elevation. What made you pick Breck?

It was @Lmk92 's question about spring skiing, on another thread. When Breckenridge was mentioned, it sounded great. Then I looked at the trail map! WHOA! I'll have to practice a lot, HAH!

Thanks for the tip about elevation. I've never experienced anything higher than Mt. Washington, and certainly I wasn't skiing up there. I plan to fly in a day or two before I start skiing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna