• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pivot Slips...summer training

barbw3140

Diva in Training
I just started a yoga program, trying to get more flexible and balanced during the summer to help with my skiing next winter. I have been going to class and have been using a DVD called Yoga for Skiing. Wanted to know if anyone has some exercises that they do over the summer to help with pivot slips...:smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Add anything that will help you build up your core.
Agree, and add abductors to that as well. I find that pivot slips really work my abductors hard.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
here's a good exercise.. lay on your back with feet in the air. legs staight.. stretch & Point your toes- tap together, then click your heels trying to point them up too. see how many you can do.. I think having good abs & core is very helpful and YES Yoga is Excellent!

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
here's a good exercise.. lay on your back with feet in the air. legs staight.. stretch & Point your toes- tap together, then click your heels trying to point them up too. see how many you can do.. I think having good abs & core is very helpful and YES Yoga is Excellent!

I thought this was going to read, "then click your heels and say, there's no place like skiing"

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just as they all said, which I must find time to do during summer too:smile: so far my practice for pivot slips has been doing at least one run per ski day, top to bottom, on pivot slips, but that won't be available during summer...

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to buy cleats for my bike and do as many hill rides as possible (I have a fantasy of biking to the Silver Fork Inn for Sunday brunch). That will really work my psoas and abs, both very important for core strength. I also hope to start yoga classes, but I'm pretty bad at indoor exercise. But if I fail to do those things it'll be spin classes for me in the fall along with a few pilates tapes for home.

I also need to get some kind of lateral balance routine going to warm up those hip rotators, flexors and extensors. Not sure what to do for that, but yoga will probably help that, too.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a personal opinion on "off season" training from the mistakes and "ah-has" I have gleaned over the last 20 or so years. By no means am I trying to tell people what is right or wrong, but just a personal opinion on what works for me....

Skiing is very hard on your body, and tends to stress/strengthen very specific muscles and movement patterns. I agree 100% that pre-season training can make all the difference in the world to both prevent injury and give you a jump-start to your year, since you just can't get that kind of strength doing any other sport.

However....

Pre-season is not the same as "summer" training. I'm a big believer that the body responds very favorably from an extended break from seasonal sports. "Extended" could mean anything from 2 weeks to 3 months (or more). I used to struggle to maintain my ski fitness all summer to be ready for the next season, but I've found it's actually much more detrimental to keep pounding those muscles into oblivion. I like to put away my ski stuff and forget about any ski-specific training until late Sept/early Oct. It allows my muscles to re-balance (skiing can lead to some really crazy muscle imbalances). Hiking, biking, running tend to work my hamstrings way more than skiing, and have a totally different movement pattern. I also like that mountain biking tends to share the same weight-shifting and body-awareness concepts of skiing, so it keeps my "downhill eyes" in shape.

The beauty of this concept is that it allows you to really hit your seasonal sports hard - ski hard in the winter, run/bike/whatever hard in the summer. You don't waste your time trying to do dryland ski training all summer or indoor bike training all winter, and it gives your body a chance to recalibrate every 6 months. It's a built-in method to avoid overuse injuries. Or, it allows you to just have fun on your off-season, doing whatever hits you on a whim all summer without worrying about TRAINING. Plus, I get super-overstoked in the fall to start ski training if I haven't been doing it all summer!

Granted, if you're a professional racer or something of that nature, it requires you to stretch your training season much longer than, say, what I would do. But even the pros take long periods of time off in the off-season.

So, bottom line - try some yoga, swim, run a race, learn to mountain bike, go on a river trip, go hiking, backpacking, whatever, as long as it's not skiing-related this summer! Your body and mind will thank you, and you will be double-excited to get back to it this fall.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great points. I don't actually "train" anymore--back in the day I trained pretty much all of the 3-4 month long off season to be fit for the start of the on-season because there was no transitional time once I was back at work, usually trying to build a rep at a new park. I didn't spend much time in the gym, though; stuff like climbing and backpacking do marvellous things for the balance and core muscles. So these days biking, hiking and balancing my muscles with things like yoga (tai chi might be nice, too) are things I enjoy and happen to build up strength and endurance, perhaps even--do I dare say it?--back to my old levels.

But I do think I'll try to hit spinning classes in September/October, just to get my aerobic capacity up to speed for high altitude fun.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a personal opinion on "off season" training from the mistakes and "ah-has" I have gleaned over the last 20 or so years. By no means am I trying to tell people what is right or wrong, but just a personal opinion on what works for me....

Skiing is very hard on your body, and tends to stress/strengthen very specific muscles and movement patterns. I agree 100% that pre-season training can make all the difference in the world to both prevent injury and give you a jump-start to your year, since you just can't get that kind of strength doing any other sport.

However....

Pre-season is not the same as "summer" training. I'm a big believer that the body responds very favorably from an extended break from seasonal sports. "Extended" could mean anything from 2 weeks to 3 months (or more). I used to struggle to maintain my ski fitness all summer to be ready for the next season, but I've found it's actually much more detrimental to keep pounding those muscles into oblivion. I like to put away my ski stuff and forget about any ski-specific training until late Sept/early Oct. It allows my muscles to re-balance (skiing can lead to some really crazy muscle imbalances). Hiking, biking, running tend to work my hamstrings way more than skiing, and have a totally different movement pattern. I also like that mountain biking tends to share the same weight-shifting and body-awareness concepts of skiing, so it keeps my "downhill eyes" in shape.

The beauty of this concept is that it allows you to really hit your seasonal sports hard - ski hard in the winter, run/bike/whatever hard in the summer. You don't waste your time trying to do dryland ski training all summer or indoor bike training all winter, and it gives your body a chance to recalibrate every 6 months. It's a built-in method to avoid overuse injuries. Or, it allows you to just have fun on your off-season, doing whatever hits you on a whim all summer without worrying about TRAINING. Plus, I get super-overstoked in the fall to start ski training if I haven't been doing it all summer!

Granted, if you're a professional racer or something of that nature, it requires you to stretch your training season much longer than, say, what I would do. But even the pros take long periods of time off in the off-season.

So, bottom line - try some yoga, swim, run a race, learn to mountain bike, go on a river trip, go hiking, backpacking, whatever, as long as it's not skiing-related this summer! Your body and mind will thank you, and you will be double-excited to get back to it this fall.

I love this post. It pretty much sums up the way I feel about it. Ski your way back into ski shape slowly. Ramp it up gradually. Ski hard all winter. Start to slow down towards spring. Bike your way back into biking shape slowly. Bike hard all summer. Slow down in the fall. Then rest completely for a few weeks before slowly ramping the skiing back up....

barbw3140

Diva in Training
Sounds like great advice...Bike, Yoga, Golf all summer long! I will just dream about skiing and my new skis (whatever they may be) all summer long....:thumbsup:

Jilly

Staff member
Is it bad if I take my skis and boots out and put them on in the living room every once in a while?

Carpet skiing. It OK, but not in the summer. It's a fall/winter sport. Part of the "step program" regarding the Ski Diva Addiction.

:eyebrows:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Is it bad if I take my skis and boots out and put them on in the living room every once in a while? :redface:

I've been known to cook dinner in my ski boots come fall . . . . just so I can reintroduce my feet, ankles and calves back to their winter environs. :smile:

(Can't imagine buckling them into those boots for the first time in 7 months on day one of my ski season!)

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been known to cook dinner in my ski boots come fall . . . . just so I can reintroduce my feet, ankles and calves back to their winter environs. :smile:
I do laundry and yoga in them :redface:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Carpet skiing. It OK, but not in the summer. It's a fall/winter sport. Part of the "step program" regarding the Ski Diva Addiction.

:eyebrows:

Sounds like a good November sport. Starting to get too messy and cold for hiking, but not cold enough for lots of snowmaking...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga