• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Pimp my Hardtail?

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Hey there Mountainbiking Divas,

In prepping for the move from Germany to France, I put my fully in the shop today for a tuneup and a rear tire change. But that is not why I write.

My issue is:

I have a 1996 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo hardtail, stock except for the tires. At the moment I use it as my beater bike, but in Toulouse I think I will use it to commute to work and for basic trail rides. I want to update the bike and am trying to decide if it makes sense to do it myself (perhaps the most economical and most satisfying), have a shop do it, or forget it and buy a new hardtail.

The changes I am considering are:

- more upright seating position from higher neck (risers, new angle) and raised handlebars [note: it is a rather small frame for me since at the time of purchase in 1996 I imagined it as a downhill/technical bike so it the moment I am in a rather aggressive seating position]

- disk brakes (at least on front)

- new fork/shock

- new wheels/tires (maybe)

The frame is really awesome so I prefer to update it rather than get a new bike.

Thoughts? :noidea:

altagirl

Staff member
Hey there Mountainbiking Divas,

In prepping for the move from Germany to France, I put my fully in the shop today for a tuneup and a rear tire change. But that is not why I write.

My issue is:

I have a 1996 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo hardtail, stock except for the tires. At the moment I use it as my beater bike, but in Toulouse I think I will use it to commute to work and for basic trail rides. I want to update the bike and am trying to decide if it makes sense to do it myself (perhaps the most economical and most satisfying), have a shop do it, or forget it and buy a new hardtail.

The changes I am considering are:

- more upright seating position from higher neck (risers, new angle) and raised handlebars [note: it is a rather small frame for me since at the time of purchase in 1996 I imagined it as a downhill/technical bike so it the moment I am in a rather aggressive seating position]

- disk brakes (at least on front)

- new fork/shock

- new wheels/tires (maybe)

The frame is really awesome so I prefer to update it rather than get a new bike.

Thoughts? :noidea:

It depends on the specific wheels, brakes, fork, etc...

But those are pretty much the most expensive components of the bike, so unless you are upgrading with used parts or are able to find fantastic deals, there is a good chance that it will be cheaper to just buy a new bike (especially if you find a complete bike that is new but last year's model). Or going the other direction - if you're going to find a cheap, used, or late model fork to put on it... maybe it wouldn't be that bad.

However, having been there before - or at least in the build from the frame up vs. buy a complete bike decision matrix... if you like bikes, bike parts, building bikes, etc... I've had fun actually making up a spreadsheet and finding the parts I want on sale and then calculating out the overall cost for new vs. upgrading. It IS fun to build up or upgrade your own bike, so if it comes down to it being about even, personally, I like picking out exactly the parts I want and doing it myself. But that's just me. :smile:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm with AG....the minute you said fork and/or wheels, I thought "just buy a new bike". Get the best frame you can afford that truly fits you, with decent but not great components, then upgrade the bits as things die/get broken. Bikes today are so much better fitting and handling, and are usually much lighter. In addition, even lower end components now are better than what came on a late 90's bike. However, doing the parts hunting and wrenching yourself makes it more affordable and way more fun.

I'm restoring a 1996 Cannondale Super V, but I had already previously dumped the money into it to upgrade it to current high-end components, an updated fork, and a disc-ready swing arm when I owned it originally. Now the only real expense will be to replace the trashed parts, put discs back on it, and repair/repaint the frame.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Having rebuilt two bikes from that era, I can offer this advice.
Don't put a lot of money into it. Things have changed SO much like the other gals say. If you've got access to free parts, that's one thing. Your old frame may even have a quill type 1" steerer on the fork, and those are pretty much impossible to replace with anything new.

Geometry has changed a lot, also. By getting a new bike, that would also give you the "upright" feeling you are talking about... the older style geometry really put your butt kind of jacked up and your upper body over the front of the bike ( aarg, not describing that well at all...) The new geometry is so much more stable...

IIRC the hookooekoo was nice middle of the road bike. (??) but nothing special. Turning it into a commuter or errand bike would give it great second life. Or, turn it into a singlespeed just for something different.

A set of wheels with disc brakes ( and the brakes them selves) would easily run hundred of dollars, same with a new fork. I am not sure how that translates into Euros.

When I did both my older bikes, here's how it went:
Giant Sedona ( that model was originally a mountain bike, now it's a comfort bike name:rolleyes:) I got rid of the RST 1" quill fork for a 1" old rock shock a buddy had in the basement; changed out the 7 speed cassette for an 8 speed; changed the cantilever brakes to v brakes, flat bar to a handle bar with some shape, and a new saddle. Everything but the saddle was free: out of my or someone else's spare parts box. :smile:

the other one, a titanium hardtail of that era, I put a little more into turning it into a "blingy" singlespeed. I put a carbon handlebar on it, hand built SS rear wheel with a Paul hub; some avid v brakes (an upgrade, from a friend's spare parts box) and an ultralight saddle. 21 lbs!! I had really wanted to do a lot of orange anodized parts to go with the fame decals, but all that anodized stuff is not compatible with older bikes.

abc

Banned
I would just do the more upright position change and leave the rest alone.

As a commute and light trail duty bike, there's little benefit of disc brakes. And whatever wheels it has probably will do just fine for what you plan to use it for anyway. I don't know your motivation for changing the fork so that can do either way. Do pay atttention to whether you maybe limited on what steerer size you have to use.

I have a bike in that exact situation (though it's an older bike). I just put narrower tires on it to make it faster on the street but still usable for easy trails. That's it.

When I show up on trail rides, it's not the bike that's holding me back...

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I agree with abc. That bike is kind of a classic, but not top-of-the-line. It would make a great commuter bike if you put riser bars on it (which will require a stem change, too, as the new bars have a wider diameter)...but you can do that for not much money. I wouldn't upgrade brakes, wheels, etc. If you're going to commute with it, consider a bell as well.

I have an older Stumpjumper hardtail which is my only mtn. bike. I ride singletrack but I'm not hard core. I upgraded the bars, stem, and grips for a more upright position and it felt like a new bike. I don't feel a need for a new one, but then again, I'm not a hard core mountain biker.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna