• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

People Watching

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't know if its true, but I heard somewhere that those super saggy pants started in the prison gangs.... Anyone else hear this?

Yes. The story goes, as I heard it, that prisoners get pants that sorta fit, and large is better than small, so often they sag. Kids in the LA area picked up on the idea of mimicking prison pants, and started the whole thing. Fashion designers who watch the kids in LA saw it, and passed it on to everyone else.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm looking it up on Snopes too. Do they always know what they are doing there?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
According to Wikipedia:

Sagging is commonly attributed in the media to have originated in the prohibition of belts for prisoners as belts could be used to commit suicide by hanging oneself, to strangle others, or to use as a weapon in fights.[2][3] In the early 1990s, hip-hop artists popularized the style.

Monkeygirl

Certified Ski Diva
That's fantastic as well! My mother though would have personally done it early in the season. She's not so sweet. :D Can anyone give me ideas on how to handle a certain person in my office (female) that has this issue? Seriously, in the office, bending over. :eek:

Have you considered spit-ball basketball?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Let me guess, does the string of her string panties and her tattoo show also? I know this is just a style choice ( less someone get offended) but certainly it's more appropriate in some environments and less than other.

the beer-hockey game thing is completely hilarious.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you considered spit-ball basketball?

*SNORT*

Let me guess, does the string of her string panties and her tattoo show also? I know this is just a style choice ( less someone get offended) but certainly it's more appropriate in some environments and less than other.

the beer-hockey game thing is completely hilarious.

Nope, I'm not sure if there's nothing there or it's low-rise enough to remain hidden. This same girl also can't seem to understand that muffin tops with shirts that don't cover the overhang aren't attractive either. :nono: :redface:

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
hmmm...don't notice much what folks are wearing, except that all the "adult" guys seem to look the same in their ski gear too (well, 2 looks actually - the red jacket "look" and the mute earth-tones "look")...

...most of my people watching is watching people ski/board - usually I try and watch the best skier/boarder on the slope, though tele-skiers will usually trump anyone else...occasionally someone is so bad on the slopes to warrant watching (the newbie tele-skier who was so far in the backseat that he ended up sitting on his skis was classic! I'm not even sure how you get that far back!)...I find watching different styles of skiing (and how they seem to work in different conditions) fascinating :smile:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
hmmm...don't notice much what folks are wearing, except that all the "adult" guys seem to look the same in their ski gear too (well, 2 looks actually - the red jacket "look" and the mute earth-tones "look")...

...most of my people watching is watching people ski/board - usually I try and watch the best skier/boarder on the slope, though tele-skiers will usually trump anyone else...occasionally someone is so bad on the slopes to warrant watching (the newbie tele-skier who was so far in the backseat that he ended up sitting on his skis was classic! I'm not even sure how you get that far back!)...I find watching different styles of skiing (and how they seem to work in different conditions) fascinating :smile:

thank you for getting this back on track. :D

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thank you for getting this back on track. :D

yes, I was about to say what I had heard the saggy pants were about. So I thank you for saving us all from that.

I have to admit that I love the colors and patterns that the guys are wearing these days. I have seen some really amazing get ups out there in the last few days.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well, I just can't seem to help myself. Here's the story I had heard, and Snopes says it is not true. Hey, it's just what I had heard.

Snopes

C

CMCM

I get a laugh out of how the teen snowboarders dress these days. The current fad seems to be suspenders which are not up on the shoulders but rather, left hanging loose in the back so it kind of looks like they are about to take the pants off. The suspenders are hanging down as far as the knees, so I can't help but wonder if they ever catch them on something??? Couple that with their very big and baggy pants sagging way way down, and it's not an especially sexy sight, in my opinion. Then they wrap up their heads in scarves in a way that makes the whole thing look a bit like a terrorist get-up. I much prefer seeing guys in trim, well fitting ski clothing swooping gracefully down the hill. Guess I'm beyond the age to appreciate ghetto styled clothing. :eek:

Another thought....all this baggy clothing looks like it would be rather a nuisance to board/ski in, AND....it doesn't look very warm, either.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga