• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Patagonia Nano Puff (and customer service wonderfulness)

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This isn't as much of a review as my compulsion to share about an incredible customer service experience for an already-excellent product.

In 2011 I picked up a traffic-cone-orange Nano Puff Hoody jacket at REI on clearance for $133. Bright orange was never a color I liked, but I was still mysteriously drawn to it, and it quickly became my favorite winter garment.

Like a lot of Patagonia jackets it was snug at the hips, but it was eerily warm, far warmer than it had any business being considering how thin it was. I was suspicious of its claims of being warm while wet so one day I completely soaked one of its arms in the sink (which took a little time because of the very water resistant fabric), lightly wrung it out, and stuck my arm in, it immediately warmed up. Today it still performs like it did when it was new: after a warm day that turned frigid once the sun went down, I only discovered that all my layers were drenched in sweat until I went inside to shed layers before driving to town, and when I spilled coffee on it in a typical klutzy moment, it rolled right off.

There was just one flaw: the thread for the fine diamond-pattern quilting on the arms was flimsy and started to fray from the first time I wore it, and soon whole sections of stitching were missing and loose threads became the norm. The insulation stayed in place, but it seemed a little odd for the manufacturer of a shell that looks almost new after four years of use to use such flimsy thread in a lighter jacket. The folks at the outlet store urged me to bring it into see if Patagonia would repair it, but I felt so possessive that I never got around to it, and got used to trimming loose threads when they started to annoy me.

So yesterday was the big day. I thought at best they'd charge some nominal amount to repair the stitching, but they quickly decided the stitching couldn't be repaired because it only goes through the insulation, not the material lining the sleeves. I was already reaching for the jacket when the girl helping me said they could replace it instead, and while I was stammering with surprise she pointed out that this year's colors even include a slightly darker orange. The manager agreed that it was worth a go, and before I had time to feel guilty about getting a brand new replacement for a perfectly fine old one, the salesgirl was on the phone getting a gift card authorization to cover the price of the new jacket. Soon I was saying farewell to my trusty old standby, and the new one will arrive by next Wednesday.

So there it is: another company that stands by its products to an perfectly ridiculous extent. Don't get me wrong: I'll still moan about Patagonia's ever-morphing fit and sizing, and complaint that they offer so few technical shells, especially pants, for women, but so long as they offer excellent base and mid layers and a few jackets that fit me, yesterday's experience has cemented my loyalty to Patagonia's products.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess I should post a picture of my new jacket in all its orange-ness:

84226_MNRO.fpx

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
.... Don't get me wrong: I'll still moan about Patagonia's ever-morphing fit and sizing, and complaint that they offer so few technical shells, especially pants, for women, but so long as they offer excellent base and mid layers and a few jackets that fit me, yesterday's experience has cemented my loyalty to Patagonia's products.

Patagonia is coming out with a touring line next season, introduced at SIA this past February. Hopefully that will help.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
We have a Patagonia outlet here in Santa Cruz and their customer service is incredible.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am finding myself squarely in the Patagonia camp too. I bought the women's Insulated Powder Bowl jacket this winter; after wearing it for a month+ I realized that although the hood is helmet compatible, it does not work for me skiing - perhaps due to my height, but it yanks on my neck.

The other morning I emailed them my dismay, and they responded the same day. Send it back for a full refund under their ironclad policy. WOW.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
This is great to hear. I've been contemplating a contact to Patagonia for the same item and issue - all the stringy, pulling threads at the lower arms. Might finally get to it now, having heard these stories. Doesn't affect functionality of jacket, just looks semi-ratty now, only a couple of years old.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I would like to make a trip to that Patagonia outlet store sometime!

Oh, and I was worried when I saw the thread title that you had gotten a strange horse slobber stain on it that wouldn't come out! :tongue:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting, I have a Nanopuff as well that the stitching is coming unsewn on. It's not bad yet,so no need for me to address it with them since I like the fit of the one I have and don't want a new one until I really need it. Since a few of us have had this issue (sounds like MSL had the same thing) I can't help but think this is a short coming/design flaw in the product. I wish they would simply improve it.
I do plan to email Patagonia about another product I bought from them this year though-- Primo Down Jacket. This jacket leaks feathers like no other piece of down clothing I have ever owned. I have other Patagonia down layering pieces and they don't leak feathers, but this jacket does--badly. To the point that I wonder how many feathers will be left inside the jacket in a couple years; I have feathers all over the seat of my car, on my clothes etc. I don't really expect them to do anything for me--I don't want a replacement or money back---I just want to let them know that the product is somewhat disappointing.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So there it is: another company that stands by its products to an perfectly ridiculous extent. Don't get me wrong: I'll still moan about Patagonia's ever-morphing fit and sizing, and complaint that they offer so few technical shells, especially pants, for women, but so long as they offer excellent base and mid layers and a few jackets that fit me, yesterday's experience has cemented my loyalty to Patagonia's products.

Seems they tweak the shape and sizes A LOT. I drive by the HQ store every few months when I surf up north and randomly stop in to see what they have.
But its the same story every time I go in --- "well yah, we changed that for this year - I agree its not the best; well maybe you could post a comment or email the product development team and they will incorporate that for next year" or "oh, just wait a bit, we fixed that issue in next years line" or "oh yah, I don't like how they changed it either."

I'm sure they have great customer service - but their retail enthusiasm is lacking -- considering this is their HQ shop. Changing the sizing/fit is frustrating, along with un inspiring colors, and well, as @litterbug said, they don't offer a lot of technical shell pieces for women.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
For me, the changes in Patagonia's cut actually means some of their things fit me now! In earlier years every piece was geared towards women with much shorter limbs/torso than me! Love how the Nano and Nano Air fit now, plus I finally found a Patagonia pant that wasn't too short - now that I am happy though, others are sure to annoyed!

@NewEnglandSkier , I am quite sure they will replace your jacket in a flash if you decide that is what you want.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a Patagonia outlet here in Santa Cruz and their customer service is incredible.
I didn't know this! Thought our closest one was the Reno location.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
This is why all my outdoor apparel is from Patagonia. I have several Nano Puff layers. Two with the old diamond pattern to the stitching, and two with the new square stitching. The diamond patterned garments get sent back each summer for repairs of their stitching at the sleeves and hem and come back good as new, at no cost. The square-stitched ones are newer, but seem to be holding up better in terms of the quilting/stitching.

I have been having an issue with their pants sizing the last couple of years. Mainly they have been cutting things slimmer and slimmer and I want to scream, "hey, us skier and climber girls have THIGH MUSCLES from all that ski and climbing and mountain biking, etc." I have a pair of Insulated Snowbelle pants from 4 seasons ago that I love. They are a deep plum color though, so I can't wear them for work. I bought a pair of black Snowbelle pants this season, same size medium as the plum ones, and they weren't even close to fitting. I was rather dumfounded by that...:doh:

I think I'm just going to hold off till next season and see what kind of new shell pants they put out for next season....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
And I'm in the opposite camp. Have one thread-shreading Nano Puff which I will likely send in after season is done - it's 2 years old. But will move on (it's the only Patagonia piece I currently own) to something that doesn't do this in the first place. Yes, there are brands that don't. Few of similar warmth-to-weight ratio of the Nano Puff, but other major players are playing catch up (TNF Thermoball is one).

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So they can fix the stitching! But considering what @climbingbetty said, I'm glad I'm getting one with the square stitching. It's true that the cut is slimmer, but in this case that's a good thing, because my old large is a little too boxy now. :noidea:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I didn't know this! Thought our closest one was the Reno location.
Nope… and several times a year they do a 40% off outlet prices… So, got a $550 jacket for $250…. Got the ultra down hooded coat for $119 instead of $399… Oh yeah, come to Santa Cruz….

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga