• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Parking attendant vent

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just have to get this off my chest.

A few weeks ago I headed to the resort with my boyfriend. I was going to do some training with the patrol in the morning before the lifts opened, so my bf pulled the car up to the turnaround in front of the lift ticket windows (you know, like a drop off/pickup area). As I was getting out of the car, a parking attendant started yelling at me about parking there. I said "I'm going to the aid shack, he's just dropping me off, we're not parking here." He kept yelling, even though it was 8 in the morning, there was not another soul around, and the lifts don't even open until 10:30, so we just moved the car over so I could finish getting my stuff. Moving the car took longer than it would have to just get my stuff out, but whatever. I got my stuff and my bf left to go run errands.

About an hour later I needed something out of the car so I called my bf to bring the car back. There were about 5 cars in the turnaround, and people were just hanging out there chatting, so he pulled back into the turnaround and I opened the back door to get my pack. Naturally the same parking attendant actually crossed the parking lot to start yelling at us again. I had had enough so I asked him rather pointedly, "Why are you only yelling at us and not those five other people parked in the turnaround?" He said nothing. I finished grabbing my stuff and just left.

Now, almost a month later, I got a talking to from a ski patrol guy that that parking attendant had complained about me. While I was getting this talking-to, I looked out the window to see SIX cars parked in the turnaround, and a car parked IN FRONT of the day lodge, right where skiers come off the hill to go into the lodge. All of those cars were there for at least 15 minutes each, and over an hour in some cases. So all I can figure is that there is zero reason for this dude to have targeted me of all people to yell about about being dropped off in the drop-off zone. And I talked back so of course he had to complain about me. Sheesh!

Where can we be dropped off if not at the drop off zone???? Man, is that guy just power hungry or what?

altagirl

Staff member
Our daytime parking lot guys are pretty good. But if you head up to Alta early (like 5am) before the road closes on a storm day, they understandably need to plow the parking lot again before opening. Usually this means you park all the way over on the far end, on the side of the lot to try not to be in the way, and then go inside for interlodge. Sometimes they let you park in regular spots... just depends on what they think the weather's doing, I guess.

So last time I went up, there's this old security guard guy driving around and I ask where he wanted me to park and he says... "Back down in Salt Lake".

Ah yes, very funny. Ha ha. I guess that's what I get for trying to be cooperative and asking where they'd like my car.

Now we hear that Goldminers lodge is considering not allowing anyone other than hotel guests inside before road closures. Huh? When this happens, I go up, sit in the nearly empty cafeteria, and spend $15 or so on breakfast, which they have to cook anyway for employees and guests. One time the shop opened up and my friend and I went in and spent about $40 each on random stuff we didn't need because we were bored. The problem with me and a handful of other people going and spending extra money while sitting in an otherwise empty room is.....

I have no idea. I could even see if they were having a problem selling hotel rooms, but on storm days like that you can't get a room because they're always sold out. I'm baffled.

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My current favourite is the $30 valet parking at Sunday River. ALWAYS empty. So, with about a bazillion people looking for places to park, there are 40-50 empty spots near the main lodge - for a price!

Too rich for my blood.

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our daytime parking lot guys are pretty good. But if you head up to Alta early (like 5am) before the road closes on a storm day, they understandably need to plow the parking lot again before opening. Usually this means you park all the way over on the far end, on the side of the lot to try not to be in the way, and then go inside for interlodge. Sometimes they let you park in regular spots... just depends on what they think the weather's doing, I guess.

So last time I went up, there's this old security guard guy driving around and I ask where he wanted me to park and he says... "Back down in Salt Lake".

Ah yes, very funny. Ha ha. I guess that's what I get for trying to be cooperative and asking where they'd like my car.

Now we hear that Goldminers lodge is considering not allowing anyone other than hotel guests inside before road closures. Huh? When this happens, I go up, sit in the nearly empty cafeteria, and spend $15 or so on breakfast, which they have to cook anyway for employees and guests. One time the shop opened up and my friend and I went in and spent about $40 each on random stuff we didn't need because we were bored. The problem with me and a handful of other people going and spending extra money while sitting in an otherwise empty room is.....

I have no idea. I could even see if they were having a problem selling hotel rooms, but on storm days like that you can't get a room because they're always sold out. I'm baffled.

Altagirl .... you just have to chalk it up to "The Alta Way." They really have some of the dumbest, illogical business practices I've ever experienced. But the mountain and the snow are worth dealing with the dumb business policies.

PS. The breakfast burrito at the Grill is pretty dang good. Maybe Tim will let you hang out in there in the early a.m.

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's funny that you say that, alta_gal, because so many resorts are modeling their business practices after Alta these days! I know my local mountain is one of them...

IdahoSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At my local resort, the attendants don't do a whole lot. They let people park in places where there are "no parking signs". People park in the unloading zones all day and the attendants don't say a word. Most recently, they have been allowing the RV campers to park in regular parking spots. It really is a mess on the weekends.

abc

Banned
Now, almost a month later, I got a talking to from a ski patrol guy that that parking attendant had complained about me. While I was getting this talking-to, I looked out the window to see SIX cars parked in the turnaround, and a car parked IN FRONT of the day lodge, right where skiers come off the hill to go into the lodge. All of those cars were there for at least 15 minutes each, and over an hour in some cases. So all I can figure is that there is zero reason for this dude to have targeted me of all people to yell about about being dropped off in the drop-off zone. And I talked back so of course he had to complain about me. Sheesh!
So did you point out the six cars to the ski patrol guys?

It would have been embarassing, to say the least.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
sometimes it's just a better idea to go to the powers that be
(management) and ask them what the heck is going on, in a polite fashion, as a mountain user/customer. Go to the top, ya know? If you mountain is like many, there's all sorts of drama and tension between departments, and they do like to play off each other.

reading your first and second posts, and not understanding your relationship to which user group, maybe there's a parking protocol issue for non-regular users ( you mention training with the patrol?) that you aren't aware of? We've certainly had a lot of issues related to THAT on our hill. Maybe it's time to find out exactly what the policy is for whom, and get some clarification.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
sometimes it's just a better idea to go to the powers that be
(management) and ask them what the heck is going on, in a polite fashion, as a mountain user/customer. Go to the top, ya know? If you mountain is like many, there's all sorts of drama and tension between departments, and they do like to play off each other.

Ha ha ha ha ha......the last person I heard complain to our ski area managment was told to go buy her own GD ski hill and run it the way she wanted to if she didn't like it. I didn't think I would ever recover from laughing about that, the woman was a real B and was complaining about something really petty. She actually deserved it.

I love our Saturday lot attendant. He starts the fourth row ( right next to the pullout and unloading zone) with me. Ahhh. Actually it has more to do with arriving at the same time and driving a small car, only small cars can go in that row. But I always thank him for saving my spot.:p

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Wow, all this is making me appreciate my home area's parking system all the more....I think when I go to Sugarloaf on Thurs, I'm going to bring a treat for the shuttle bus drivers....(Feb 14, after all :smile: )

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Sinced when is the ski patrol in charge of parking lots? :noidea: I think your question to the lot attendant was justified--he was obviously singling you and your SO out, if there were other people parked in the same place. I agree with what's been said--I'd take it to resort management. It sounds like that parking lot attendant is a little too big for his britches. Next time it happens, I'd just say something like, "Okay, how about if you get your manager here so we can discuss it. In the mean time, I am unloading my things here, just like everyone else is doing."

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We valet parked at Snowbird. It was $12, and I thought that was hilariously cheap. Between the two couples in the car, it was nada $$ ... and I come from the land of pay-$20-to-park-and-hike-a-half-mile-anyway.

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So did you point out the six cars to the ski patrol guys?

I didn't, I just let it go. I don't want to make waves with the patrol since they're really good about letting me use the mountain for training for free. I don't want to make their lives more difficult.

I am tempted to have my bf call up and complain about that guy, since he's a mountain guest, after all...

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While parking at Killington 3 weeks ago I found a little spot at the end of the row (in an already crowded lot). My car is little and fit in just fine. An attendant came over with that "I'm going to make you move" look on his face, but was cool when he saw I had all my stuff out of the car already. and I'm quite sure that because he saw my season pass he let it go and let me stay there, just kind of said hurry up so we don't get snagged. I think the season pass gets a bit of attention.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely have your BF call and complain about this guy. A written complaint is best, usually when an employee acts like this, there will be more than just your complaint.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Definitely have your BF call and complain about this guy. A written complaint is best, usually when an employee acts like this, there will be more than just your complaint.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would one have the bf handle something like this? Why not handle it yourself?

Like I said, maybe I'm missed something but it's a rare/extreme situation where I ask DH to handle something for me and 100% of the time it's involving his family.

gg

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, you missed something, lol...I don't want to make an issue out of it because the ski patrol supports my using the mountain for training, for free. I don't want to cause trouble for myself or the patrol, but since my bf is a mountain guest with no other ties to the resort, he could make a polite, formal complaint about the parking attendant's behavior without making problems for me or the patrol. If I'd been with a friend I would think of it the same way - the resort can tell me what to do since it's their option to let me train there, but if their staff offends an actual guest, they might not appreciate that kind of behavior.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
just got off a spell of four days in Big Ctwnd Canyon-----on this in which the resorts were SLAMMED for the Prez day holiday---and I conclude that PARKING is the most difficult and stressful aspect of skiing this wonderful weekend---for the resorts and for the guests.

As long as skiing gains in popularity and more people head for the hills---each in their private vehicle--then conflict and frustration are inevitable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga