• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ozone?

I've been noticing that this Summer I've been burning (with block on) more than ever! I've never been one to burn, and now I'm getting burned a lot. I usually just tan very quickly.

I asked my PCP about this, and she said that the Ozone is creating more intense UV rays than ever before here in Denver. She actually told me that it would be safer for me to go to a tanning bed for 5 minute intervals to get a really good base, and then continue to wear my 15-30 block. I've always been safe with a 4 block! 30 Block????!!!!!!!

Could this be true? Is this Global Warming? I wonder.....

abc

Banned
Don't know about the ozone thing. But I think the advice of a "base tan" plus a 15+ sunblock is a good one.

I tan quite easily. So I am good in New York. But when I lived in California, my "natural sunblock" just wasn't adequate so I had to use strong sun block on top of my "base tan". And I'm of the race that's a bit tan to begin with!

I suspect the Sun in Denver can be very strong in the summer too, with such high attitude.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I believe your doctor is referring to holes developing in the ozone layer of the atmosphere, not general ozone in the air, which is creating a greater incidence of sunburn. The ozone layer filters out UVA and UVB rays, but if there are holes in the ozone layer, more UVA and UVB rays than we've previously been accustomed to make it through to us, tanning or burning us faster than if the rays were filtered. It's one of several things contributing to global warming.

Those more susceptible to skin cancer are going to shy away from any sort of tanning because technically, any change in skin color by the sun is skin damage.

I guess getting a base tan will increase the amount of time it will take for you to burn, but to me it seems like getting a base tan by lying in a tanning bed is essentially paying someone to do something that you can do on your own. I had a decent base tan (jog bra and shorts outline) by early June, on account of outdoor running since February. Unfortunately, I know of several people under 30 who have had skin cancer; while I'm not in the top group of people predisposed to have skin cancer, I still tend to wear SPF 45 if I'm going to be outside all day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga