• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Overheard at local ski shop

Peppermint

Angel Diva
My goodness. I was looking for spring gloves at my local ski shop and overheard a conversation that made me cringe. A middle aged man was getting fitted with new boots and the employee who was helping him said "the first time in these boots, you will hate us, the second time won't be much better and by the time they pack out after 5-10 uses, you will love us". I felt bad for the poor guy.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yikes! Now that I've been to a real master bootfitter, he said people are used to the old idea that ski boots are supposed to be painful, but with new technologies like heat molding, that should no longer be the case. I know my boots don't bother me at all even though they're plenty snug.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed. My bootguy is amazing. I can pretty much sleep with my left ski boot on. My right foot gives me some issues but once I'm in the boot and it's customized how I need it, the fit is truly amazing.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
The interesting thing about that to me is that the MOST painful boots I’ve ever worn were the ones that were too big. The first pair of ski boots I had didn’t fit properly until after my feet grew a size from having babies. Until then, trying to keep my foot stable in a big boot made my arches feel like they were on FIRE.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds like a very honest boot fitter with a sense of humor to me. Hopefully, they were together during the molding process and the conversation began before, and lasted beyond, the time frame of what was overheard.

If the boots don't feel quite tight, especially for a performance fit, for the first week plus, it is almost certain that they will pack out way too much to provide a snug, effective fit for months to come.

I am in a comfort fit, and the molding process makes me want to cry, and for at least two weeks I wear pantyhose knee highs to be able to tolerate the cramp inducing squeeze with the boots barely buckled. Granted I have narrow ankles and do need to add padding, but the forefoot is quite unhappy for a bit and now, after hundreds of day of use, I am having to actually buckle them some to resume that performance I need on heavy snow days.

I hope that the new boot owner made it past the tight phase and was fitted in a good boot for his foot anatomy and ability level.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
That sounds like a very honest boot fitter with a sense of humor to me. Hopefully, they were together during the molding process and the conversation began before, and lasted beyond, the time frame of what was overheard.

If the boots don't feel quite tight, especially for a performance fit, for the first week plus, it is almost certain that they will pack out way too much to provide a snug, effective fit for months to come.

I am in a comfort fit, and the molding process makes me want to cry, and for at least two weeks I wear pantyhose knee highs to be able to tolerate the cramp inducing squeeze with the boots barely buckled. Granted I have narrow ankles and do need to add padding, but the forefoot is quite unhappy for a bit and now, after hundreds of day of use, I am having to actually buckle them some to resume that performance I need on heavy snow days.

I hope that the new boot owner made it past the tight phase and was fitted in a good boot for his foot anatomy and ability level.
It's quite possible I misread the situation, but I wasn't getting any humorous vibe out of either of them. He seemed a bit clueless and I wasn't getting the feeling she was highly trained either, but I was in the area for all of 2 minutes. Hopefully it worked out for him.

Maybe I am lucky with easy feet to fit as I have never had new boots that hurt enough for me to hate on the people who helped me. My boots have always been very snug at first but never hurt.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Peppermint your fuller report does sound pretty ominous. I have definitely felt some dismay towards my fitter when he buckles the lower buckles during the heat molding process on my intuition liners...lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga