• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Other winter activities

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I am thinking of trying either cross-country skiing or snow shoeing. Anyone try either?

I do like skinning up in some of the Logan back country (not quite good enough at the down part to go very high yet), so thought I may like cross country skiing. BUT snow shoeing seems so peaceful.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love snowshoeing. I had never done it until I had my DS, and my hiking group for moms and babies did snowshoe hikes when the conditions were appropriate. We haven't had enough snow yet this year to be able to do it, but it's so nice. Good exercise (especially with a toddler on your back!), and so beautiful and peaceful.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are other Winter Activities? :noidea:
Who knew!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've done quite a bit of snowshoeing in this winter. Little Miss Swamp Dog loves heading out on the trails and gets all excited when she sees me putting snowshoes in the car. It can be peaceful or demanding, depends on the terrain.

weasy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been doing both (aswell as learning to downhill ski) since moving here and I must say I LOVE cross country skiing. Snow shoeing is good for if you just want a sort of hike but Cross Country is great exercise and I love pumping my way uphill. It's harder to control the skis coming downhill as they have no edge so, as in downhill, I'd say take a couple of lessons cos the technique is different.

abc

Banned
If I live somewhere there's enough snow, I'd x-c skiing exclusively.

No crowd, no line, no lift. Just nature, and 100% sliding (even uphills). Yeah!

weasy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would too if my family would do it with me but they all want to downhill/board so I'm x-c skiing in the week and downhill at weekends.

You forgot to mention that the boots are soooo comfy too, there's so little baggage.

Yeah from me too (move to Utah and come x-c skiing with me :D)

If I live somewhere there's enough snow, I'd x-c skiing exclusively.

No crowd, no line, no lift. Just nature, and 100% sliding (even uphills). Yeah!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I'm a pretty keen x-c skier, though so far this year my downhill days are far outnumbering the x-c. But I belong to a x-c club and we usually get out twice a week - sometimes on groomed trails, sometimes on backcountry ones in the deep snow (and believe me, that's hard work). It's fabulous exercise (way better than downhill), cheaper and more peaceful. I'm very fortunate to live where I do as there's a vast network of x-c trails within walking distance of my house. And this Sunday I'm planning to ski in a 20-km loppet, where, if I'm lucky, I might come first (being the only woman in my age category!).

Snowshoeing is becoming increasingly popular in this area. People ask me why I don't take it up and I say I might if there were just more days in the week! But I do like to slide and snowshoes just don't do that well!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Yeah, I love XC skiing too. Great exercise and I can take my dog too! :smile:

No dogs allowed on most of the track-set trails around here - in fact, I don't think on any of the track-set trails.

That said, we've had many outings with dogs accompanying us on backcountry trails. Usually not a problem unless the dog doesn't have the sense to get out of the way of a downhilling x-c skier!

altagirl

Staff member
No dogs allowed on most of the track-set trails around here - in fact, I don't think on any of the track-set trails.

That said, we've had many outings with dogs accompanying us on backcountry trails. Usually not a problem unless the dog doesn't have the sense to get out of the way of a downhilling x-c skier!

We have a pretty good sized area that does allow dogs. Obviously the track gets chewed up faster with all the footprints, but it's nice. :smile:

beckt

Certified Ski Diva
I love to cross country ski... either back woods in the middle of no where, or I pick up a snow mobile trail and go anywhere. There are also quite a few maintained groomed trails near me which can be fantastic - some in a local national park. I also like to go on the maintained skate ski trails, or even skate ski on a wide snowmobile trail. If the snow is right I can slap on my skate skis and go out on the local lakes..... it is all good. It's a great work out, and fun getting places that you sometimes can't get to any other seasons ---- like in the middle of a frozen bog :smile: Usually in my car i have 3 different sets of cross country skis and 2 different boots. Ya never know which you're going to need! Although with the down hill and the cross country - sometimes I am really busy just waxing the different skis!!!

abc

Banned
Snowshoeing is becoming increasingly popular in this area. People ask me why I don't take it up and I say I might if there were just more days in the week! But I do like to slide and snowshoes just don't do that well!
So very true!

Once a skier, there's no looking back. Anything that doesn't slide on snow becomes a depressing chore... :(

In fact, there's something magical about that "kick and glide" sensation that even downhill sliding doesn't quite compare! (ducking...)

Yeah from me too (move to Utah and come x-c skiing with me :D)
I'm afraid I'm not in a position to move to Utah. But I might come for a visit next year! :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna