• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Oprah's Favorite Ice Cream is Coming to Denver!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Long before Oprah was famous I knew about the "best ice cream on earth". It's Graeter's Ice Cream made in Cincinnati and it is out of this world. Select stores will begin selling it later this month here in Denver!

:jumphappy: I just can't believe the only ice-cream I eat is actually coming here. Now there is no reason to go back home!

I'll make sure to bring it to the Diva Summit.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She's also mentioned Ciao Bella sorbets which are fabulous and can be found at Whole Foods. I'll have to watch for the Graeters.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Get out. Link?

I'm in Cincinnati right now, home of Graeter's, and you bet there are several pints in the freezer! I am beyond excited that they are going to start selling it in Denver!!!

You can, of course, pay to get it in Denver now, but at the price of $80 (including shipping) for 6 pints, it's a little too expensive for me.

Now if we could just get Homemade brand Cookies n' Cream (seriously, the absolute best cookies n' cream I have ever tasted) in Denver, I would be set (and fat!).

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Boy, am I glad I don't like in Cincinnati. Or Denver. Too much temptation! Then again, we DO have Ben & Jerry's....... :decision:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Itri, will Skyline be next?
Actually, we had heard (from fellow Miami grads, before we moved out) that there used to be a Gold Star downtown, but it closed before we moved. Not sure if that was fact, or just a rumor, though. It sure would make my husband happy...he's an addict! Usually several cans get packed in the suitcase for the trip home when we visit family!

eta: here's the direct link to the video, it moved to page 4 already! https://www.cbs4denver.com/video/[email protected]

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate to burst Oprah's bubble, but in my opinion (and I consider myself a well-traveled ice cream connoisseur :eyebrows:), the absolute most incredible ice cream in the world is a place called Glace Berthillon, on the Ile St. Louis in Paris, France. Here is a description from About.com:

Berthillon ice cream: The only true Berthillon can be found in the few small blocks that make up the Ile Saint Louis. This delicious ice cream has rich colors and equally intense flavors. It comes in myriad flavors, but the dark chocolate (chocolat noir and mango (mangue) flavors are incredible. There are several spots to sample Berthillon on the island. For true authenticity, try this divine dessert at 31, rue St Louis-en-l'Ile, where it was born.

I had a scoop of blueberry and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. As I left the shop, I took my first taste, and I swear, it stopped me dead in my tracks. Absolutely amazing!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've had ice cream here, too, SueNJ, and you're right, it is amazing. It's also in an amazing place. Mr. SD and I stayed on the Ile for a week a couple years ago, and Berthillon was a definite highlight! :thumbsup:

Right now, however, Ben & Jerry's will have to do, since it's a bit closer to home. Can't knock that!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sure there are awesome ice creams all over the world but this is my hometown ice cream coming to me all the way from Cincinnati, Ohio to Denver, Co. How neat is that?

There are very good ice creams here but they're just not Graeter's ice cream.

In the 70's I lived near one of the stores. Everyday in the summer I walked to the store and got a 1 dip ice cream cone. That's all. I couldn't afford anything else. When I moved to a different neighborhood I refused to stand in line to buy their ice cream so I basically quit eating ice cream. No ice cream I've had compares to Graeter's.

I didn't realize how much I enjoyed Graeter's ice cream until we flew though CVG (Greater Cincinnati Airport) and discovered a kiosk that sold it. My SO and I bought a pint and we inhaled it before the plane got off the ground.

When my friends and family ask me if I miss Cincinnati I tell them yes, I miss Graeter's ice cream.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We took a walk from my BIL's new (to him) house to his local graeter's last night. I had a scoop of coffee and a scoop of toffee chip. My normal choice is black cherry (YUM) but I wanted to branch out a little bit. The coffee was good, although not quite as good as Haagen Dazs, but the toffee chip was absolutely delicious!

MIL tried out the butter pecan since it was Oprah's favorite, and she thought it wasn't as good as many of their other flavors. YMMV, of course. And, it's not like there's such a thing as BAD ice cream! :laugh:

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now, however, Ben & Jerry's will have to do, since it's a bit closer to home. Can't knock that!

Ben and Jerry's is a definite stop for us when we're in VT. Somehow it tastes better when you get it from the shop.

We've actually got a place locally called Cliff's, which is an old-fashioned ice cream stand that's been around for probably 40 years or more. They've got really good soft-serve ice cream, and at least 30 flavors of hard ice cream, some of which are imaginative and unusual, and they usually have a seasonal special--such as pumpkin pie ice cream in October. Short of flying to Paris for ice cream every time I want it, I have no problem "settling" for Cliff's maple walnut ice cream, which is to die for, the best I've ever had. Recently, Cliff's started wholesaling their hard ice cream to other local ice cream shops, so who knows, maybe some day Cliff's will be more widely distributed as well.

I'll make sure I look for Graeter's the next time I'm in the Denver area.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back in Denver now, and guess what I found at King Soopers when I went to restock the food supplies today? Graeter's! :yahoo:

I now have a pint of Mocha chip in my freezer! I also saw Mint chip, Black Raspberry chip (their signature flavor), Cookie dough chip, vanilla, butter pecan, and chocolate. I think there might have been Double chocolate chip, as well.

I intend to do my part to keep Graeter's in Denver, and hopefully they might start carrying more flavors!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did not need to know this. Especially since I'm heading to King Sooper's in about 30 minutes.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, which King Sooper's?

We had the double chocolate chip at CVG, yum.

We're headed for the Western Slope tomorrow so we won't be able to look for it until next week. :(

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was at the KS at Colorado and Yale. The complete list of stores that will be carrying it is here.

What flavor did you get, Robyn? :becky:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna