• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Older skier's dilemma

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Monday I did a little hiking to the best stashes of powder, and though it was worth every step, it became glaringly apparent that I just don't have the leg strength and stamina I had, even just a couple of years ago. Especially the uphill side steps, where my uphill leg had to lift the rest of me and my skis, about 30 steps up, up, up. Then, after about six turns in the fabulous powder, I had to take a mini-rest for my legs---then proceed. Then take another mini-rest (or two :wink: ) on the way out of the canyon. My legs got tired, but the turns were great.

Keeping up is not an issue on the groomers, but more for the hiking and powder skiing. I just can't match the 30 year-old strength, physiologically.

So a question for the young Divas out there. Do the younger skiers really not mind hiking with and waiting for older/slower skiers like me? Does it annoy you to have to wait?

Just curious, I'll be interested in your responses.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As I have gotten older, I really don't mind waiting as much. Especially if it is another woman who has generally been intimidated or started skiing later in life etc and then I am happy to go at her pace while she does something for the first time. I guess after 33 or so years of skiing I realize that, there will be more epic days, there always are, and sometimes you just have to slow down and enjoy good company while you have it. 15 years ago, no way no wait no one, but now I could care less.

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi dlove,

First of all, I'm 24 so I guess I qualify as a "younger diva." I mainly ski with my aunt, who is in her mid-50s, and we do hike on occasion (hiking meaning to get to better pow stashes after using lift access). I've never been a fast hiker -- very short legs means very slow in the uphill sidestep and even slower if it involves bootpack. And, I like to take rests and make sure I'm breathing because I find myself trying to keep up with the Aggro-type boys and I manage to forget to breathe :fear: . That being said, I do not mind waiting for my group if they are slower than me. I don't get annoyed at all but granted, I think I'm a very patient person -- even when Pow is involved.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a younger skier who encounters problems when hiking as well. I have touch of asthma that is exercise/altitude induced so when hiking I tend to have a hard time. I'll do it but need multiple breaks when headed up to alleviate light-headedness caused by lack of oxygen. It's why I get very nervous skiing with those that like to hike (Friday with the Bears and Divas could be interesting) because I'm somewhat embarrassed by the affliction since I'm only 30. So, I'd be totally understanding (and happily taking those breaks right with you) but I'm not sure I'm a good judge.

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't speak for other skiers, but my so is a significantly younger guy who says he appreciates my being slower because it makes him take a breather. Being a bit slower can be beneficial for the other person! And, he prefers skiing with me to going off on his own!:ski2:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski alone in the Midwest, so it's not applicable to my general situation. But I am a younger skier (and a noob to boot, but I think this opinion would stay as my skills develop further), and I know it wouldn't bother me to stop and wait at all. Kind of like if a friend were to try skiing, you'd show them around the mellowest of green runs (after they get their skills in a lesson and are ready etc) and enjoy the snow sliding company. Especially as you're talking about hiking, being in the beautiful outdoors with great company, why rush?

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm one of those young people with no strength at all, and hiking up-hill takes me a very long time, due to problems with my legs. So dloveski, you're probably hiking much faster than me.

And I'm used to skiing with people on different levels, so I'm used to waiting, or having people waiting on me... For me, skiing is extremely fun, but also a social thing. Spending outdoor time with my friends :becky:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga