• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ok, HELP, one last time: Head Super joy in 153 or Total Joy in 158? (or Super in 158?)

Witsend

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all, been agonizing over what skis to get as a second ski. I have Ripsticks 94 in 154, I find keeping parallel during turns and learning angulation are hard and thus lack control confidence in turns in blue terrain. Looking for sub-88 skis, ideally skinier, for Tahoe on-piste skiing.

After a LOT of agonizing, I'm down to the Super Joy (75 mm), which I was thinking in 153, and Total Joy (85 mm), which I can get in 158cm.

I'm 5'2" (158 cm) 108 lbs (~50 kg), looking for a ski to become a better skier, pin down technique and get comfortable enough to ski all blues at, lets say, Palisades. So, icy morning + bumpy groomers.

I can get the Super Joy in 148, 153, 158, and the Total Joy in 158. I think Super Joy in 148 may be too short (not stable); I am worried Total Joy 158 is too long but 1. my benchmark is the Ripstick where 154 right now feels long at times and 2. I learned it will be fine with the 158 in another thread.

Please help me decide on which ski/length.

Thank you x 1000

mustski

Angel Diva
There is more to it than length. I believe that the Total Joy is a "friendlier" ski than the Super Joy. By "friendlier," I mean that it has a large sweet spot and is forgiving if the driver gives incorrect input. It won't take you down and will give you time to adjust. I think it is a better ski for progressing than the Super Joy. I don't think the 158 will seem too long. You will adjust to it pretty quickly. I also don't think the 153 will be too short, but I worry that it might be too much ski for you and will make it harder to learn to carve. @SnowHot what do you think?

Jilly

Staff member
I'm heavier and little taller and my daily carver is 157. So the 153 should be spot on. As for the mode, I think for what you are trying to do, the Total at 75 will be easier to learn how to carve.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can get the Super Joy in 148, 153, 158, and the Total Joy in 158. I think Super Joy in 148 may be too short (not stable); I am worried Total Joy 158 is too long but 1. my benchmark is the Ripstick where 154 right now feels long at times and 2. I learned it will be fine with the 158 in another thread.
Welcome! I'm a petite older skier, 5'0", 110 lbs, solid advanced as of 5-6 years ago. Wasn't that long ago as an adventurous intermediate that my all-mountain skis out for skiing out west were 75 underfoot and 154cm. My current all-mountain skis are 85 underfoot and 159cm.

Here's my experience with the Joy line in the last decade. I don't buy skis that often but I take every opportunity to demo.

For a while I had the Absolut Joy @148, 78 underfoot that is in between the Super Joy and Total Joy. I used them mainly in the east, mostly on short slopes in the southeast since that's my home region. I demo'd all three at the Alta Demo Day in April 2022, including the Total Joy in three lengths. It was clear the Total Joy @158 was the correct length for me to enjoy groomers and easy bumps in the afternoon when the snow had softened. I also enjoyed the Absolut Joy @158.

When I took out the Super Joy @158 in 2022, my notes say "carver, but more work than the Stöckli Laser MX." Of course those two models are in completely different price ranges.

My sense is that the Total Joy is more versatile than the Super Joy.

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
I'm heavier and little taller and my daily carver is 157. So the 153 should be spot on. As for the mode, I think for what you are trying to do, the Total at 75 will be easier to learn how to carve.
It’s the Super Joy that’s 75mm…

Also, the whole joy series was significantly changed for this year (2023/24).

mustski

Angel Diva
It’s the Super Joy that’s 75mm…

Also, the whole joy series was significantly changed for this year (2023/24).
True - the Total Joy has an 85 waist. I found the previous Joy series chattery. The new models - at least the Total Joy which I demoed- are much more stable feeling. No nervous chatter or tip flap. It’s a good ski.

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
FWIW, I have the Total Joy (older version). They are my only skis and I find them responsive and easy to ski. Although it seems like you are primarily looking for skinnier so maybe the Super Joy is better?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Witsend
Please help me decide on which ski/length.

Did you ever end up trying the Yumi? I think I read you might be able to get a hold of that in another post.

I'm almost spot on for your stats, 5'2 and 110 and also ski in similar terrain - the Cascade Concrete of the PNW. I bought the Yumi 154 in my first season when I was trying to transition from greens to blues. I absolutely love them and now in my second season, I am confident on all blues and my carving is coming along very nicely.

I am actually looking for the opposite of you - I am thinking of demoing the Ripstick 94's you own for soft snow since I'm covered for on-piste skiing.

Witsend

Certified Ski Diva
@Witsend

Did you ever end up trying the Yumi? I think I read you might be able to get a hold of that in another post.

I'm almost spot on for your stats, 5'2 and 110 and also ski in similar terrain - the Cascade Concrete of the PNW. I bought the Yumi 154 in my first season when I was trying to transition from greens to blues. I absolutely love them and now in my second season, I am confident on all blues and my carving is coming along very nicely.

I am actually looking for the opposite of you - I am thinking of demoing the Ripstick 94's you own for soft snow since I'm covered for on-piste skiing.
I tried the Yumi in unfair conditions: blizzard, no viz, lifts closing. It felt unstable yet I believe *I* was the unstable one, at times not being able to discern snow from sky.

i ended up getting the Total Joy in 153 with Protector bindings. Arrived today!!! Now dying to go try them. :smile:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried the Yumi in unfair conditions: blizzard, no viz, lifts closing. It felt unstable yet I believe *I* was the unstable one, at times not being able to discern snow from sky.

i ended up getting the Total Joy in 153 with Protector bindings. Arrived today!!! Now dying to go try them. :smile:
Oof! I tried the Sheeva 9 in bad conditions too and felt I couldn't really judge fairly, so I get it. Hope those Total Joys work out for you - let us know!

IKam

Certified Ski Diva
There were a lot of small changes that really improved the skis in the Joy line. @SnowHot talks about it here in this video review.
Total Joy
That was a really good review! They seemed to just focus on the Total Joy. I was wondering how the Absolute Joy and Super Joy compared, if they too were improved, etc.

mustski

Angel Diva
That was a really good review! They seemed to just focus on the Total Joy. I was wondering how the Absolute Joy and Super Joy compared, if they too were improved, etc.
I believe the whole line was improved with the same changes.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to hate the Joy series, now I have a '23 Super Joy in a 158 that I love, love, love... handles the firm stuff but also has a wide shovel so I find it pretty versatile as well. I have a '19 Wild Joy has well that's 90 underfoot, this ski impresses the hell out of me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna