• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NZ

rach93

Certified Ski Diva
Any New Zealanders (if that's correct?) On here? Anybody done ski trip down there? I would love to hear about it.

I have a dream to summer in winter...

To those in the know, where is the best snow in NZ?

From what I have seen it seems like there are like a lot of private clubs on the South Island? Anyone know how that works?

What mountains have good vibes?

Anything anyone wants to share?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok @rach93 buckle up !!
So first up NZ skiing is VERY different from Northern Hemi skiing. All our ski areas are above the treeline so its all alpine.

Due to our location and the fact that we are a few small islands in the Sth Pacific we can have very unpredictable weather as we are at the mercy of ocean formed weather systems so no light and dry (ok maybe occasionally if you're in the right pace at the right time), our snow tends to be on the heavier side but hey people come from all over the world to ski here so it cant be that bad, its about managing your expectations.

The best skiing is in the South Island, there are ski areas in the North Island but the general consensus is that South is best.
Queenstown and Wanaka are the destination of choice for most as they have several ski areas on hand and have a more resort type vibe but note there are no ski in ski out situations.
Where I live (about 60kms west of Christchurch) we have Mt Hutt which is a bigger commercial operation, Porters (my home ski area) and the infamous Club Fields which are smaller, generally ungroomed and use rope tows.
The Club fields (Clubbies) are super friendly and true grass roots skiing and vary in terrain, Craigieburn Valley is the steepest (Glen Plake has a run named after him there) and Cheeseman is more mellow then you have Broken River which is in between the two.
Further afield there is Temple Basin and Mt Olympus.
Still with me ???
Between the Canterbury fields (note we call them ski fields) and the Southern Lakes (Queenstwon/Wanaka) you have the Mackenzie Basin which has several incl Roundhill, Mt Dobson, Fox Peak and Ohau.
There are also several Heli Ski options if you have the $$.

All this brings me to the bug bear of most travellers to NZ ski areas .... the access roads!
These can terrify the most experienced driver but in total honesty they're not that bad if you drive carefully and know how to drive in winter conditions. The bigger ski fields have transport options for those that dont want to drive.

Accomodation is usually in the closest town and note that Queenstown and Wanaka get really busy.
The Clubbies offer on field bunk style accomodation packages.

Here's a link to some info on the ski areas local to me here in Canterbury

It all comes down to what you want from your ski holiday, a more chilled relaxed vibe away from the crowds or a more resort type vibe.

Let me know and I can help narrow it down for you x

rach93

Certified Ski Diva
Exciting, thank you so much for this!

I will need a little more time to digest some of this.

In some of my research I have come across a type of tow rope system that seems quite common in NZ. I have never seen anything like it, and I am quite curious how it works? Do you have any tips for a new comer?

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Exciting, thank you so much for this!

I will need a little more time to digest some of this.

In some of my research I have come across a type of tow rope system that seems quite common in NZ. I have never seen anything like it, and I am quite curious how it works? Do you have any tips for a new comer?
Ok so the rope tows are only at the Clubbies the majority of ski areas use Chairlifts, Tbars, Pomas etc but here's a link showing how to ride a rope tow if you decide to give it a go.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Footnote .... I forgot that Roundhill has the Heritage Tow which is also a rope tow

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What AJM said, absolutely.
Further to the club field info, they are most definitely not like US private club fields (eg Yellowstone etc). They are essentially no frills areas with limited to no grooming, no snowmaking, no ski hire, no fancy lodges. They are open to anyone, and offer lower priced lift tickets than the commercial areas, but the rope tows (believe me, that video above makes it look easier than it is!) effectively deter all but the most dedicated skiers.
However they do all offer on-mountain accommodation (generally in bunkrooms), either self catering, or meals provided, most have an instructor or two, and they are avalanche-controlled and patrolled.
It's a uniquely Aotearoa/NZ skiing experience. Definitely more laid back and friendlier than some of the bigger commercial fields.
Mt Cheeseman is the only club field that doesn't have rope tows (it has 2 T bars), it does groom the main runs, and there's a bigger ski school, hence it tends to attract a higher proportion of young families. It also has easy access to some notable touring areas (eg Tarn Basin).
Broken River also grooms its learner slope, but not a lot else. It has heaps of fun terrain, and friendly locals. Definitely the least intimidating access road. The pizza oven in the day lodge churns out yummy lunches.
Craigieburn, right next door, has longer and arguably higher consequence runs, with a lot of scary chutes. Middle Basin is a great run. There's a skiable/tourable link between Craigieburn and BR.
Mt Olympus is harder to get to (whoa, that access road!) but has a lovely lodge (and hot tub) where it truly feels like you've left the rest of the world behind. The skiing is super fun, and I found the tows a bit easier to ride than some of the others.
Hanmer Springs, further north, is a fun wee field that has a poma and a rope tow. Mt Lyford, nearby, also has a rope tow that accesses its best skiing, though it is not a club field, with T bars elsewhere.
Other South Island club fields include Temple Basin, Fox Peak, and Awakino, though I haven't been to those. The latter two seem to operate arbitrarily, possibly mainly at weekends.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes it is interesting, I wouldn't have picked TC as the snowiest. It's a great field, but the snow can seem pretty variable at times. Maybe you could say that for any of them though. I wonder why none of the fields in the Craigieburns were in the study?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes it is interesting, I wouldn't have picked TC as the snowiest. It's a great field, but the snow can seem pretty variable at times. Maybe you could say that for any of them though. I wonder why none of the fields in the Craigieburns were in the study?
I for sure wouldnt have picked TC, Whakapapa yes as discarding the 2022 season they usually get and need a lot of snow. As for the Craigieburns who knows yet they list Fox Peak :noidea:

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Buckle up take 2 - as I see there's a fair amount of information about Canterbury fields on here, but none about the Central Otago ones which are my usual stomping grounds!

To those in the know, where is the best snow in NZ?
The South Island for sure. Canterbury or Central Otago. However, where the best snow is on any given week varies due to the factors @AJM mentioned and overall it is more like the typical East Coast snow that people from the US describe. The snow is WET here.

From what I have seen it seems like there are like a lot of private clubs on the South Island? Anyone know how that works?
There are two different types of field really - commercial fields and club fields. Club fields are basically your indie/grassroots fields, not like a fancy 'private club'. Usually they are mostly or at least partially volunteer run, usually entirely reliant on whatever mother nature gives, no ski hire, often a hike up from a dodgy road - but uncrowded, cheaper and often have excellent access to ungroomed/backcountry.

Commercial fields - there are two main companies in the South Island, NZ Ski which runs Mt Hutt (Canterbury) and the Queenstown fields The Remarkables and Coronet Peak OR Real Journeys which runs the Wanaka fields Cardrona and Treble Cone. Even our commercial fields are quite small compared to big resorts overseas (there are restrictions due to conservation/national park reasons) and a 'big' field is anything that has more than 2 chairlifts!

I don't recommend Coronet Peak if you are coming from the Northern Hemisphere to ski as it is nicknamed 'concrete peak' for a reason - yes, it has one of the only fully sealed roads, but it also has the lowest altitude, most solid snow, and generally the worst cover. The Remarkables is more reliable for good snow, and a good intermediate groomer mountain if you don't mind a bit of a choke point at the bottom of the lifts (and narrower runs than Cardrona), but most of the 'expert' terrain is ungroomed + accessed by either hike or long traverse. They also have "Home Run" which takes you down a couple of bowls out the back of the Shadow Basin, and you need to get the bus back up (or get picked up with all your gear on the way down). I have had some of the best snow days there so am biased!

Cardrona is probably the busiest mountain by far, accompanied by the fact that it has successfully marketed itself as the best place for families and beginners to learn to ski (big ski school, childcare, etc.) particularly if you are starting out as a non-skiier. I believe it is the biggest in terms of multiple places to eat on the mountain, available lift-accessed terrain and it is a favourite among many of my colleagues, however I personally think the steeper terrain sucks compared to The Remarkables or Treble Cone. There are more groomed steep runs, and beautiful wide intermediate spaces, and I would definitely recommend it for learning to ski.

Treble Cone is my favourite of them all, although I have never quite made it down some of the really good looking stuff there and probably need better skills to really appreciate the mountain. It's super simple - just 2 lifts in two basins - and the best views of anywhere. There are a million different ways to get down Saddle Basin as well as the chutes (disclaimer: have never managed to go down the chutes myself - but they have come highly recommended by a number of people I have skiied with) and the snow quality there is generally very good. I haven't been since 2019 for a number of reasons, but if I go back to NZ to ski this year it will probably be first on my list.

What mountains have good vibes?
All of them if you ask me - but the vibes are different in each place.

Anything anyone wants to share?
There is no such thing as on-mountain accommodation in any of the commercial fields save for Cardrona which has apartments that book out 1-2 years in advance. Most fields are at minimum a 30-60min drive from even the closest accommodation. You will need a car, or to take the bus up. And yes, the roads are scary. People have died on them from underestimating them.

Our season is fairly short - July is "relies on snow guns" and October is when everything closes. August/September are usually the more reliable months. Also, for the love of all that is good DO NOT GO IN JULY OVERLAPPING SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha, definitely research NZ and Australia school holidays dates.

I'm a semi-closet Coronet Peak fan (I instructed across the valley for many years), so feel the need to correct a couple of points -- there actually is accommodation on mountain at Coronet Peak, if you don't mind backpacker style. Because it's one of the oldest ski fields on the South Island, there are several local ski clubs that had the foresight to build their own lodges. As far as I'm aware, most take bookings from the public as well as club members. Not sure about transport into town, I'd suspect you'd want your own vehicle if you want to eat out.

Some of the best powder runs of my life have been on that mountain. It is admittedly low in altitude, and the snow coverage can tend towards the dreaded concrete, but in the last decade I've experienced several very brief but equally dramatic storms that drop up to 30cm of snow in as little as 2-3 hours. In those events, generally there aren't too many people around (it's the locals' mountain, and it's usually deserted after lunchtime) and you are guaranteed to have a great time.

TC has awesome terrain, and I definitely look for excuses to go and ski there, but Coronet Peak also has great terrain, that doesn't need as much snow (because it is essentially grass meadow, with few rocks) to be skiable. So it might look like the worst cover of the local fields, but it will ski a lot better than that. And there's good snowmaking to supplement that.

And yes, August/September is when to come here.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha, definitely research NZ and Australia school holidays dates.

I'm a semi-closet Coronet Peak fan (I instructed across the valley for many years), so feel the need to correct a couple of points -- there actually is accommodation on mountain at Coronet Peak, if you don't mind backpacker style. Because it's one of the oldest ski fields on the South Island, there are several local ski clubs that had the foresight to build their own lodges. As far as I'm aware, most take bookings from the public as well as club members. Not sure about transport into town, I'd suspect you'd want your own vehicle if you want to eat out.

Some of the best powder runs of my life have been on that mountain. It is admittedly low in altitude, and the snow coverage can tend towards the dreaded concrete, but in the last decade I've experienced several very brief but equally dramatic storms that drop up to 30cm of snow in as little as 2-3 hours. In those events, generally there aren't too many people around (it's the locals' mountain, and it's usually deserted after lunchtime) and you are guaranteed to have a great time.

TC has awesome terrain, and I definitely look for excuses to go and ski there, but Coronet Peak also has great terrain, that doesn't need as much snow (because it is essentially grass meadow, with few rocks) to be skiable. So it might look like the worst cover of the local fields, but it will ski a lot better than that. And there's good snowmaking to supplement that.

And yes, August/September is when to come here.
To be fair I ignored all lodge-style accommodation (and left off Ruapehu as well)...and I have had powder at Coronet, but also hit the solid layer underneath at times!!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
there actually is accommodation on mountain at Coronet Peak, if you don't mind backpacker style.
Gosh I had no idea, thats a bit cool ! I've only been to Coronet once years ago and I think it was a lean year from memory so we didnt get to experience it at its best but I like the idea of it being a "locals mountain".
Its going to be interesting to see how this coming season pans out at our "local mountain" apparently pass sales have been incredible due to people getting frustrated with Mt Hutt and especially their new parking policy. As long a they dont bring their arriving at 7am craziness!!

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, that's a bit of a worry (ironically, since I'm one of those pass buyers). But yes, 7am arrivals are out of control!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, that's a bit of a worry (ironically, since I'm one of those pass buyers). But yes, 7am arrivals are out of control!
It is slightly concerning, its been getting worse as it has everywhere but luckily I can avoid the weekends. If the whole mountain is open and skiable the crowds quickly filter out its just the carparking that's the issue, I'm being purely selfish here as I like to know I can park in MY spot :laughter:
Yay that you've got a pass !!

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it's been a while. We skied there at weekends (and the school holidays) almost exclusively for nearly 20 years -- until I started teaching 9 years ago, and our kids began doing their own thing. We definitely had a favoured parking spot too, back then. Probably have to fight for it these days! But luckily I can do weekdays too, so less of an issue for me, if not my husband.

• Love

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga