• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NYT article on lost VT ski areas.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Really is sad. Haystack must be really recent! I've only been here 7 years---do I recall that this was open then?? Chairlift (a quad) looks fairly new and serviceable!

Lots of them back in the Midwest's hilly areas as well, as well as Maine. Thankfully, Maine is now making a big push to preserve what's left by heavily promoting the smaller hills. I plan on doing one next Wednesday evening - only lift is a rope tow! (WHERE is my old cowhide rope tow mitt/glove cover!!)

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
That's ashame. We have alot of that here in Michigan too. There are so many area's here that are now gone to subdivisions or bankruptcy Kandahar, Mt. Grampion, Skyline and my most favorite Sugarloaf in T.C. has been closed for over five years! Such a waste that was an awesome hill! Every year rumors fly that somebody has plans to reopen it. Fat chance with the chairlift and liquior license issues. Such a loss,:( and so many fun memories!

Jilly

Staff member
There is a complete article in this month's Ski Canada too. It's sad to see them go. But economics are necessary. Our local bump has been saved this last year by the original owner. The family wants to see it continue, and they have the bucks to do it.

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good article.

While I don't miss rope tows, I wouldn't mind giving up high speed chairs for t-bars, pomas, and j-bars if it meant a cheap local ski fix.

The alps used to have loooong t-bars up steep slopes. It was as much a challenge to get up the slope as it was to get down. Still, it was fun.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hadn't realized that the new owners of Haystack were not operating the mountain - their website (it's called "Haystack Club" or some such) would lead one to believe things are going. That's the biggest shame of all of them. Haystack is VERY viable in all manners including water source for snowmaking, and to see the new owners are letting it go to waste is just disgusting. :mad2:

MSL - you're right. I believe ASC sold off Haystack 3 years ago. It had operated with Mount Snow (much like Killington-Pico) prior to that.

While I mourn other areas (like Hogsback which was the first ski area I ever saw - even though it turns out it had been closed for 3 years at that time) when I can see that they honestly aren't viable it's less frustrating. I know in the last 5 years the owners of Ascutney had looked into buying and reopening Hogsback, but the problem is simply a lack of water for snowmaking. Unfortunately a ski area just can't operate without snowmaking in New England now. :(

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sure many of you already know about this site, but the New England Lost Ski Area Project web site has some fascinating info, and in many cases, photos, of lost ski areas in the northeast (there are sister sites for the states of NJ, NY, PA, CO, WA, and a couple of other countries). Here's the link: https://www.nelsap.org/.

ETA: Great article--it's a shame that the owners of Haystack have opted to not open the mountain.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga