• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Non-profit ski areas, have you skied at one?

jokael

Certified Ski Diva
We have a very small non-profit area where I live in Denmark.
It is the training grounds for the local ski club, but they open for the public in the weekends.
They charge a small fee for lift pass/a stamp on the cheek (like 5 dollars for a day - 2 for kids) just for maintenance of the area. Ski rent is 10 dollars a set - this also just covers maintenance
And they sell hot chocolate and sandwiches, also just to help with keeping the place running.
All of the helpers are unpaid and use their spare time as lift operators, instructors and cafe-helpers.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Just learned that Searchmont was purchased in November 2018 by Wisconsin Resorts, Inc. so they no longer qualify for this thread. We're headed up there in a week.

"Wisconsin Resorts owns and operates four other ski areas: Alpine Valley, Wis., Pine Knob, Mich., Mt. Holly, Mich., and Bittersweet, Mich. The company is an affiliated entity of JFK Investment Company LLC, a privately owned, Detroit-based firm that specializes in real estate development, asset management, leasing, and consulting. Wisconsin Resorts will operate Searchmont under its newly formed affiliate, Searchmont Holdings Corporation. "

Christy

Angel Diva
It's hard to be a non-profit. The one I have skied, little Loup Loup in Okanogan County WA, JUST opened Friday. They are in the rainshadow of the N. Cascades, so they are pretty dry, and can't afford snow guns of course. Here is the opening day situation:

Well what an opening day! Lots of stoked skiers, riders, tubers and lugers. Conditions update for today currently 26F and snowing. We're still being faced with a super thin snowpack so we only groomed around the rope tow last night (if we put a cat on the thin spots it will just dig up rocks and dirt) so keep doing those snow dances. Tube hill, rope tow and chair operating today (Jr. Poma down through Weds). Unmarked obstacles exist so ski and ride with care. We will have limited foodservice options today.

I just noticed their description on their website--cute.

1579554920274.png

Christy

Angel Diva
I haven't skied here, but on my last Sun Valley trip I became aware of itty-bitty Rotarun, 15 miles down the valley near Hailey, ID. It's FREE! It's run by the Sun Valley Ski Education Foundation and supported by donations. What a perfect complement to SV which is $$$$ for both daily lift tickets and season passes. They are doing some cool stuff in terms of expanding the sport to kids that might not otherwise ski. Neat article about it below. When they talk about attracting kids from "down valley" they are talking about the immigrant/Hispanic population.

https://www.mtexpress.com/svsef-set...cle_9e7813d6-ae0d-11e7-a240-6f373518d00b.html

“On its own, Rotarun is not financially viable—and we’ll never get to the point where it will be financially viable,” he said. “We’re seeking, and have received, support. But we need the community behind us on this.”

Looking at the back bumpers of cars valleywide, it’s clear the SVSEF has the network to drum up support.

That’s one reason why Rotarun has been courting this relationship for years, working to get the ski team involved in the south valley, Foster said.

“The fact is, Ski Ed has connections—to equipment and financial backers—that can expand the sport to new demographics,” he said.

The foundation—whose mission is to provide ski and snowboard training and competitive opportunities for Wood River Valley youths—has already announced one new program, called Rota-Rippers, directed toward getting young, first-generation skiers out onto the hill. The six-week program will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays in January and February. According to the SVSEF website, the $200 enrollment fee includes a season pass.

Paired with its long-tenured LASAR Team—a seven-week, $250 program for ages 5 through 11—Adicoff expects to double participation in learn-to-ski programs at Rotarun this year.

According to Adicoff, the SVSEF has already begun working with teachers and principals at Alturas and Bellevue elementary schools to boost after-school enrollment in its classes.

So far, outreach has specifically touted new financial aid available through donations by Cox Communications and the St. Luke’s Wood River Foundation, which underwrite much of the costs. Unlike for the SVSEF’s other programs, the form for LASAR and Rota-Rippers is one page long, and doesn’t require financial information from parents.

“If you can’t afford it, we’ll find a way to get you on skis,” Adicoff said. “Our goal, eventually, is to offer this kind of program—the gear, the transportation and the instruction—free of charge."

https://rotarun.org/

1582573665169.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Skeetawk in Hatcher Pass, Alaska has set an opening date. The new chair lift is ready to go. The warming yurt and ski patrol trailer are all that's needed for the base as far as the locals are concerned. Skeetawk is a community resource with strong local support.

Sept. 30, The Frontiersman, Alaska
Hatcher Pass ski area aims for Dec. 5 opening
https://www.frontiersman.com/sports...cle_8bdf90f0-03b9-11eb-b33a-d7c8793825fc.html
" . . .
In addition to the lift and backcountry access from the parking area, which has space for 200 vehicles, at least two food trucks will be regularly open to support users, and the warming yurt will sell basic concessions like hot coffee and soda.

“Our business model is basically to make enough to pay for operations, and anything additionally we build is going to be grants and fundraising,” he said. “it’s just a never ending thing when you’re a non-profit trying to do something like this. There’s a lot of known unknowns as well as unknown unknowns.”

Attracting users won’t be a problem for the area if attendance at the annual “Blueberry Ball” fundraiser held Sept. 27 is any indicator. Although organizers expected a couple hundred attendees, they instead got an estimated 700 eager to listen to music, drink beer, bid on silent auction items and test out the ski lift.

The event raised more than $10,000, said Louisa Blanchflower, a volunteer who previously served as HAX board president. So far they have sold more than 70 passes for the season (including two to this reporter).
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bridger Bowl in MT may be the most successful non-profit. They recent announced their plans for operations in 2020-21 under COVID-19 safety rules. They are going with reservations for passes and day tickets. What's making that possible is that RFID will be used for the first time. The decision to invest in RFID was made long before the pandemic started. Luckily the timing meant is was possible for the vendor supplying the system could make adjustments to handle day tickets as well as passes in terms of restricting access when necessary. For passholders, that would've meant keeping someone with a midweek pass from gaining access to lifts on weekends. Now the system will not let someone without a reservation to access lifts.

Not all the details have been worked out yet. But clearly the Bridger management team has been hard at work all summer. The deadline for the discounted price for season passes is Nov. 20. More info should be available in the coming weeks with the goal of all details by early Nov. That was the promise back in July.

https://www.bridgerbowl.com/pdfs/covid/winter-operation
" . . .
Parking and Buses
Guests will be required to show proof of reservation to enter the parking lots for the day. Those dropping off skiers with reservations will be asked to park in the lower lots for the day making room in the upper lots for those carrying equipment. Parking lot shuttles will be running daily (or as needed) to assist in helping guests get to the drop-off area at Saddle Peak Lodge and back to their cars after skiing. Parking in A and B lots will be open to all Senior skiers to use regardless of the number in the car or day of the week. Scheduled weekend bus services have been canceled for the season.
Lift Operations
Lift lines will be spread out to create more distance. This might be the year to bring out the old 210cm GS skis. All kidding aside, Bridger won’t be asking singles to jump on open seats, but instead wants to place this thought in everyone’s head; if you arrive together, ride together. With this in mind, we will see a reduction in lift capacities.
Guest Refunds
In the worst-case scenario of ski area closure due to COVID or other pandemic related issues, Bridger Bowl will honor our season pass holder’s commitment to us by having a credit policy for the 2021/22 season. When the pandemic hit last year, we were near the end of our season and forced to close early. If we are put into a similar situation this season due to COVID-19 or other pandemic related issues, Bridger will issue a credit to each pass holder’s account. Details are still being worked out and additional information will be provided.
Those who have already purchased a pass product for the season will have until November 20, 2020 to request a full refund, less a $20 fee, or credit toward the 2021/22 season, no questions asked.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bridger Bowl near Bozeman, MT continues to show that a non-profit can be more than a small hill with a few basic lifts. For 2020-21, Bridger is completing the implementation of RFID for lift access. An adjustment that was made during the off-season was to add a lift access reservation process based on RFID cards for season passes and day tickets. Bridger has over 2000 acres of terrain from a separate beginner area to chutes off the Ridge that require hiking to access. Bridger can get more powder snow than Big Sky, which is just over an hour away. I like to ski at Bridger for at least a couple days when going to Big Sky.

Due mostly to the lack of cooperation from Mother Nature, Bridger won't be open until mid-Dec. The target date had been Dec. 4. That means it will be a while before locals go thru the transition process. There are likely to be some Bridger passholders who don't have that much experience with RFID cards.

newboots

Angel Diva
There used to be a town hill in Brattleboro (VT) that was volunteer-run and cost $5. I don’t think they’re still in operation, but I could be wrong!

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Once travel is possible again, I really want to go to Mt Cain in Canada. This video about them is pretty awesome:

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This was a great write up in my hometown newspaper on the nonprofit hill where I learned to ski (with the old T-Bar). Haven't skied there since 2018, unfortunately. While I'm thrilled they've had such an outstanding financial year in 2020/21, I did a double take when I read about the need for official lift lines and having wait times. Gotta love those small local hills! https://www.heraldandnews.com/news/...cle_614e79d9-4813-55d9-89b6-dca9629ac8e5.html

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This was a great write up in my hometown newspaper on the nonprofit hill where I learned to ski (with the old T-Bar). Haven't skied there since 2018, unfortunately. While I'm thrilled they've had such an outstanding financial year in 2020/21, I did a double take when I read about the need for official lift lines and having wait times. Gotta love those small local hills! https://www.heraldandnews.com/news/...cle_614e79d9-4813-55d9-89b6-dca9629ac8e5.html

This place is on my Oregon ski area to-do list. I think Anthony Lakes is also a non-profit. I'd like to get there someday too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna